D&D 5E Wall of Force Reality Check (as used by DM not players)

Dorgrin

Villager
I would rule that a wall of force would stop any spell that had a range or area of effect, I would treat it like a normal wall as far as providing cover.

I disagree, as a normal wall would conceal the target and a wall of force does not. The gist of the cover rules on 196 of the PHB seem to deal more with difficulties seeing and therefore targetting creatures, rather than any physical impediment to striking them whilst they're in direct view of you. A wall of force has no impact on line of sight as written, it just stops any physical effect from passing through it. As mentioned above, a fireball spell would smack straight into it, whereas sacred flame originates elsewhere entirely and would still take effect provided that there was no impediment to vision. An area of effect or ranged strike which physically needs to pass through the wall to reach the target would be impeded, but not one that originates on the target's side.

I disagree, as a normal wall would conceal the target and a wall of force does not. The gist of the cover rules on 196 of the PHB seem to deal more with difficulties seeing and therefore targetting creatures, rather than any physical impediment to striking them whilst they're in direct view of you. A wall of force has no impact on line of sight as written, it just stops any physical effect from passing through it. As mentioned above, a fireball spell would smack straight into it, whereas sacred flame originates elsewhere entirely and would still take effect provided that there was no impediment to vision. An area of effect or ranged strike which physically needs to pass through the wall to reach the target would be impeded, but not one that originates on the target's side.
I'm asking JC about this on twitter once a month, he didn't reply so far...

UnknownDyson

Explorer
So, I don't agree that Wall of Force can be moved, it clearly isn't intended to be. But, as you said it's your game you can implement whatever rules you want. With that being said, people overlook the fact that Wall of Force does nothing to stop spells that have a point of origin inside the Wall of Force. Elder Brain casts Wall of Force? Summon a Fire Elemental inside of the Wall, the ElderBrain has nowhere to run from some very unavoidable damage. Cast Elemental Bane for good measure, create bonfire also works on the Elder Brain. As long as you aren't using projectiles you can still harm the brain.

However, these are all options for spellcasters. A party without spellcasters won't be able to do anything againt a target in a wall of force. The DM might need to introduce an NPC or device to give them a way to counteract this spell.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Concentration is not a hard roll. Illusions to my knowledge do not disrupt concentration, only damage does. It takes pretty substantial damage to disrupt concentration for a lot of casters. Though powerful AoE is quite effective at doing so.

Concentration can be broken by:

* caster willing ends concentration (no action required)

* caster casts another spell requiring concentration

* caster takes damage and fails constitution saving throw (DC 10 or half damage taken, whichever is greater)

* caster is incapacitated or killed

* the DM decides "that certain environmental phenomena, such as a wave crashing over you while you're on a storm-tossed ship" requiring a DC 10 Constitution save.

When players are fighting magic-users, I want them to act creatively and to try things. If they come up with a cool way t distract a caster other then hitting it, then I'll roll with it. As you said, a DC 10 Con save is not that hard, especially will "boss" monsters that have legendary actions like auto saves. But it creates a window of possibility and creates some great stories.

Now, is a mockery and "environmental phenomena", probably not the intended meaning here, but I see no reason to limit things that can break concentration to weather.

MNblockhead

I suppose I have to agree that a WoF can't be moved. If I'm going to homebrew it, I think I would rather not let it be cast suspended in the air. This is one spell that could have been better written. I guess you can argue that you shouldn't need to state that a WALL is meant to be immovable.

Fine. But what if the caster is on the back of a large moving object? A barge, a large wagon, a dragon turtle? Will it stay in place when the object it was cast on moves? If you have a wizard in a large crate, changed down on a barge, and a wizard casts WoF inside of it, will it just break through the crate (or if crate material is strong enough, prevent the barge from moving)?

In VGTM they have an image of an Elder Brain in a glass case/WoF with metal bandings connected to chains being pulled by Quaggoths.

So, either the WoF works a bit differently with the EB. Perhaps it is moves with the EB or the EB can will it to move.

Makes me think...so if a Wizard flies/levitates into the air and casts a wall-of-force sphere around him/herself, then he/she has just hang there in the air for 10 minutes. Or if an ally is falling, you could cast a wall of force around/under them (that may have the same effect as them splatting against the ground though...)

MNblockhead

Regarding spells, I hadn't though about sacred flame, but reading the description, yes, I would allow it within the Wall of Force. The ceric and clearly see the creature behind the invisible wall.

As for conjure elemental, which Unknown Dyson suggests, if I have a wall of force in a 10-foot sphere, especially in my example of an Elder Brain which will nearly fill that space, along with some brine, how does that work?

You call forth an elemental servant. Choose an area of air, earth, fire, or water that fills a 10-foot cube within range. An elemental of challenge rating 5 or lower appropriate to the area you chose appears in an unoccupied space within 10 feet of it. For example, a fire elemental emerges from a bonfire, and an earth elemental rises
up from the ground. The elemental disappears when it drops to 0 hit points or when the spell ends.

First, if you target the area in the sphere itself...well it isn't a "cube" as required by 'conjure elemental' and would that be an area of air, earth, fire, or water? True, the spell doesn't say unoccupied, and let's say the DM is generous and says that the 10 ft sphere of elder brain and brine is a "10-foot cube of water". So you summon a water elemental within 10 feet of it...so, it is OUTSIDE the WoF. And it is a physical thing now that cannot pass through the WoF. So, spell slot wasted.

Conjure Minor elementals: "You summon elementals that appear in unoccupied spaces that you see within range.

Sorry, no unoccupied space within that EB's spherical wall of force.

Oofta

Legend

Well, if someone is standing behind a wall of force you could not hit them with an arrow, correct? The way I interpret it is that spells work the same way.

But without Sage Advice, I would definitely call this my ruling only. Simply put, I think it's the simpler interpretation is usually the best one. A wall of force would stop the spread of a fireball (unless it can spread around of course) so it should stop the fireball from being cast through it.

I'm ok with either ruling, i just don't think a wall being transparent stops it from being a wall that blocks.

MNblockhead

So, I played the encounter yesterday. Worked out well. They didn't defeat the Elder Brain, but achieved their objectives and escaped alive.

They did manage to do a good amount of damage to it through because the Sorceror in the group has disintegrate.

The one question that came up was that the Sorcerer asked about Misty Step. I ruled that he could not misty step through a wall of force because the WoF extends through the Ethereal Plane.

I *should* have simply stated that it wouldn't work because there was no unoccupied space within the Elder Brain's WoF for him to Misty Step into.

But it let to short discussion on whether teleportation (of which Misty Step is a type) is a form of ethereal travel.

I was wrong. There is nothing in the RAW I can find that support my ruling that because the WoF extended through the Ethereal Plane that it blocks teleportation.

So, if there is unoccupied space behind a WoF, then I would say that you can teleport into it. When the rules state that "nothing physical can pass through it" teleportation isn't "passing through" anything. more like you blink out of existance in one spot while simultaneously blinking into existence into another spot, right?

Remove ads