• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wand Mastery Question

Baumi

Adventurer
Does the Attackbonus that you can get with the Wand Mastery count for the whole power (every target of a fireball) or just for ONE roll (only one target in that fireball)?

Wormwood

Adventurer
Does the Attackbonus that you can get with the Wand Mastery count for the whole power (every target of a fireball) or just for ONE roll (only one target in that fireball)?
All attack rolls, AFAICT.

edit: I completely misread the question as pertaining to magic wands for some reason, not the class feature.

Last edited:

Danceofmasks

First Post
Sure, single attack roll, but some spells are awesome with this.
Prismatic Spray (for improving # of defenses hit), or Otiluke's Resilient Sphere (to make sure that ole divide & conquer tactic works).

Alkiera

First Post
It does seem odd that the class that is most focused on area effects, and thus most likely to have attacks with multiple attack rolls... has class features that only apply to one target.

LightPhoenix

First Post
It does seem odd that the class that is most focused on area effects, and thus most likely to have attacks with multiple attack rolls... has class features that only apply to one target.

Wizards basically have two divisions of powers - area crowd control for use with orbs, and single-target pseudo-striker spells for use with wands. I wouldn't call the whole class focused on area effects, but on controlling enemies - putting the status voodoo on them more than other classes (except maybe warlocks).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
It seems strange to me too - especially since the Orb doesn't just affect one save (which seems to be the rough equivalent) but affects all the saves the targetted creature has to attempt.

Stalker0

Legend
I'm playing an eladrin wizard right now (19 int, 16 dex). I don't know if it compares to the other two masteries so far, but so far I'm liking my wand.

Once per encounter I get a +3 to my attack roll, pretty nice. I use it mainly for my ray of enfeeblement and my sleep spell (assuming I'm getting the big guy in the spell). I do a mix of rays and area effects, and I get the added bonus of a better init.

The other thing to consider is the wand itself. I think wands are one of the best magic items because you can put powers in them! They are the only magic item where you can basically pick the powers you want and slap them into a wand.

Remove ads