• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wand of Lightning Bolt - how good is it really?

5ekyu

Hero
"This experience has taught me that "DM compensation" is a solution I don't want to use. It's certainly not the solution to a problem that I can see coming. If I'm saying "so what if this wand is too strong, I'll just make the encounters harder" I'm making a mistake. "

My campaigndms are all homebrew so there is no "making the encounter harder" just making encounters.

So not a problem i run into.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
An interesting way to use the wand would be that it memorized lightning bolt for you.

So you don't get more slots per day, but a caster that may not have been able to use the spell now can...

That is an interesting idea. Using a wand or other item to essentially get additional spells known could be a great addition to the game. Much in the same way that the magical words, movements, and materials channel the casters spellpower, the wand could channel their spell power into a lightning bolt spell.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Make it an intelligent wand. Give it a couple of other minor abilities, like light spell or produce flame. And then, have it adjust the damage it deals based on the level of the user (or the proficiency bonus of the user). Making it intelligent will make the variable damage seem to make more sense.

Last edited:

Stormdale

Explorer
I limit wands to either 20 charges max (just like I did in 1e/2e) and require them to be recharged- gets rid of some of that annoying coin pcs carry, or I limit recharge to regains one charge per day for items like this, which helps limit their use, at least in our games

Stormdale

CapnZapp

Legend
That is an interesting idea. Using a wand or other item to essentially get additional spells known could be a great addition to the game. Much in the same way that the magical words, movements, and materials channel the casters spellpower, the wand could channel their spell power into a lightning bolt spell.
Check out runestaffs in d20

Irda Ranger

First Post
I think it's helpful to ask what the wand allows the PCs to do that they cannot already do.

7th level PCs already can cast Lightning Bolt (or equivalent spells if they're not Wiz/Sor). So they aren't casting any spells they can't already cast. This isn't like giving 3rd level PCs a way to conjure an elemental.

The wand doesn't allow them to violate the action economy, so they're still forced to choose between using the wand and casting one of their other prepared spells.

The wand does allow them to cast a spell a couple times.

So the wand is effectively one extra spell known/prepared (nbd) and some extra spell slots for that spell only (nice). Spell slots are a daily resource.

So the wand effectively grants endurance, not power.

If you're worried about the wand, you can add an extra encounter per day.

nswanson27

First Post
I played with a bard who put his wand in a flute. He loved to play his one-note symphony for any enemies willing to listen. It was a shocking performance, always.

CapnZapp

Legend
I think it's helpful to ask what the wand allows the PCs to do that they cannot already do.

7th level PCs already can cast Lightning Bolt (or equivalent spells if they're not Wiz/Sor). So they aren't casting any spells they can't already cast. This isn't like giving 3rd level PCs a way to conjure an elemental.

The wand doesn't allow them to violate the action economy, so they're still forced to choose between using the wand and casting one of their other prepared spells.

The wand does allow them to cast a spell a couple times.

So the wand is effectively one extra spell known/prepared (nbd) and some extra spell slots for that spell only (nice). Spell slots are a daily resource.

So the wand effectively grants endurance, not power.

If you're worried about the wand, you can add an extra encounter per day.

No no no, you don't give the wand to whoever is already best at shooting lightning bolts.

A Cleric or Barbarian, using the wand when you need ranged DPR, there's where it's at.

You need to ask yourself what the wand does. It brings good area damage at range.

So give it to the party member dealing the worst ranged damage.

That's typically the Cleric. Or the Barbarian when melee is impossible.

Irda Ranger

First Post
No no no, you don't give the wand to whoever is already best at shooting lightning bolts.

A Cleric or Barbarian, using the wand when you need ranged DPR, there's where it's at.

You need to ask yourself what the wand does. It brings good area damage at range.

So give it to the party member dealing the worst ranged damage.

That's typically the Cleric. Or the Barbarian when melee is impossible.

Hmmmm ... you know, I've been playing 5E for a couple years, and you're right. But it never really sank in that you could use wands and such across class lines like that.

House rule time. The idea of Barbarians using a wand is just right out. I think I'm going to House Rule that to use a charged item that is a Spellcasting Focus, it must be a Spellcasting Focus you have the class ability to use. Not because of balance issues, but because barbarians using wands or wizards using a holly staff is right out for story/setting reasons. That smacks of gamism.

Remove ads