• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wand Sheath(s)?

GammaPaladin

First Post
Just curious how people would rule on this...

The description for the wand sheath Warforged component in the ECS says it occupies "space on the body as if it were a bracer." (Emphasis mine). This makes me wonder if you could therefore have two. Since it occupies the space of a bracer, rather than a pair of bracers.

Clearly it means you can't have a Wand Sheath and also Bracers of Armor, or what have you, since those are paired, and you only have one forearm free now, but it just seems to me that strictly as written, you could arguably install two wand sheaths, one on each arm.

Yes, two should be allowed (at twice the cost, obviously). The Glove of Storing is an example of the same concept from the core rules. I'm sure there are further examples in some splats.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You could use a Quiver of Ehlonna a.k.a. Efficient Quiver:
Efficient Quiver
Wondrous Items :: d20srd.org

This appears to be a typical arrow container capable of holding about twenty arrows. It has three distinct portions, each with a nondimensional space allowing it to store far more than would normally be possible. The first and smallest one can contain up to sixty objects of the same general size and shape as an arrow. The second slightly longer compartment holds up to eighteen objects of the same general size and shape as a javelin. The third and longest portion of the case contains as many as six objects of the same general size and shape as a bow (spears, staffs, or the like). Once the owner has filled it, the quiver can produce any item she wishes, as if from a regular quiver or scabbard. The efficient quiver weighs the same no matter what’s placed inside it.

Great item for spellcasters with lots of wands, rods and staves.

On the more mundane side, you could store wands in thigh-sheaths as well...or anyplace one could place a dagger or other small blade.

There is a diagram in the Diagram Group's Encyclopedia of Weapons that shows (as I recall) 13 locations on the human body in which various cultures have stored daggers.
Weapons: an international ... - Google Book Search

You could even make a wand bandolier.

In the same vein as masterwork potion belts and masterwork scroll cases (both of which allow their respective items to be pulled out as a free action), we created a masterwork wand case to do the same thing.

No more move action to draw a wand.

GammaPaladin

First Post
All of those are cool ways to draw wands as free actions (Though a Heward's Handy Haversack takes care of that as well ;) ) but the wand sheath Warforged component has additional advantages above and beyond that... With a wand mounted in your wand sheath you can make the activation with a thought, and therefore do not have to speak as you would normally with a spell trigger item. And the fact that they're undetectable without a detect magic effect (And even then I would generally rule that the character looking would need to make a knowledge check (Probably arcana) to see if he could deduce what they were).

Of course there's a tradeoff as always, since you can't actually remove the wand from the sheath until it's out of charges, so whatever you put in there, you're stuck with until you expend it. Although an Artificer can arguably get around this if he's got a day of free time to spend using retain essence on the wand.

I'm actually just kind of working on a possible story (Rather than a campaign) so I can bend the rules a little anyway, but I thought I'd check to see if others had interpreted the rules the same as I had (That a warforged could have two wand sheaths).

The character in question will probably store a wand of cure x in one forearm, and a wand of magic missile in the other. That way he's never unarmed. He's going to be a blastificer ;)

Remove ads