• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wandering Monster: Dire Corby

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
So, as half a gag, I decided to do a really nice, respectful write-up of the dire corby, James Jacobs' least favorite old-school monster, and send it into Dungeon for the wandering monster feature.

I finished the conversion the day that Paizo announced they were losing the license.

Oops.

So I've decided to post it here, for the people's adoration and fame.

Dire Corby

Emerging from the darkness is a hulking humanoid figure about seven feet tall. Its arms and legs are powerfully muscled, ending in scaled, bird-like talons. The thing’s head is like that of an oversized raven, and its eyes glint with malice and intelligence. A coat of oily black feathers covers the creature from head to toe.

Dire corbies are powerful and degenerate offshoots of the avian humanoid race known as kenku (Monster Manual 3, pg 86). Native to the deepest and darkest reaches of the Underdark, they only see the surface on brutal raids. They are social creatures that gather in large and destructive flocks, united by their violent religion. They are scavengers and hunters, feeding on carrion, fungus and the flesh of their victims.

Dire corbies are universally hated by the other intelligent races of the Underdark, and dire corbies hate all other life in turn. Drow and duergar exterminate them as pests, and even illithids and aboleths are reluctant to use them as slaves. Kenku especially despise dire corbies, and kenku gangs have gone to great lengths in the past to not only kill dire corbies but to erase all traces of them from history. This enmity likely stems from the fact that dire corbies and kenku were both created from a curse placed upon intelligent giant ravens by the demon prince Pazuzu centuries ago. Whereas most kenku have turned their back on the Prince of Evil Aerial Creatures, the dire corbies have been thoroughly warped both physically and mentally by the savage hatred that boils behind Pazuzu’s genteel and manipulative exterior. Kenku view dire corbies as a hated reminder of the demonic nature of their own existence.

Dire corbies speak a crude dialect of Kenku, and dire corbies with an Intelligence of 10 or higher usually learn Undercommon, which they use to threaten and curse.

Strategy and Tactics
Dire corbies are creatures driven by insane, violent passions, and they are highly unlikely to think tactically when presented with a target for their unquenchable rage. A single dire corby is unlikely to attack a large group such as an adventuring party, but in any numbers they view themselves as invincible. Dire corbies are tireless and fearless, fighting until death and capable of pursuing fleeing prey through miles of twisting caverns. They usually initiate combat with their doomscreech, entering a rage, and charging into the thick of melee. They have little patience for ambush, and are unfamiliar with the use of ranged weapons.

Dire Corby Society
Dire corby society is a violent mob, governed loosely by might. Males and females are equal in strength, numbers and ferocity. Infighting is common and sometimes fatal. The strongest warrior usually holds a vague control over the squabbling horde, but all members of the tribe listen when a cleric or adept of Pazuzu speaks. Dire corby mating is common and violent, and females lay clutches of six to twenty eggs. Parental care is practically unheard of – once dire corby eggs hatch, the fledglings are left to find their own food. Cannibalism between siblings is practically universal, and few dire corby young survive past a few months. Dire corbies reach adulthood at age 5, and almost never make it to die of old age at 40.

Dire corbies worship a particularly violent and nihilistic interpretation of Pazuzu, and any humanoid killed by a dire corby is “dedicated” to the demon prince by having its eyes and tongue plucked out before the kill is consumed. These grisly trophies are then worn as fetishes by dire corby chiefs and shamans. Dire corbies have little tool use besides the creation of crude stone weapons. Some of the most powerful tribes have “domesticated” hook horrors (Monster Manual 2, pg 126), which hunt with them. Dire corbies have an especially deep hatred for bats and bat-like creatures, resenting their ability to fly.

Treasure
Dire corbies have no need for wealth and rarely use tools, but they do love treasure. Shiny objects such as coins are prized, and red gems such as garnets, jasper and especially rubies are viewed as sacred, the transformed eyes of sacrifices to Pazuzu. Especially powerful dire corbies may use magic weapons, but any other magical gear is kept without knowledge of its true purpose.

A typical dire corby has standard treasure for a creature of its CR. A normal treasure might consist of 200 gp, two carnelian gems worth 50 gp each, an everburning torch and a masterwork light steel shield bespattered with filth.

Dire Corby Lore
Knowledge (nature)
DC Result
13 Dire corbies are savage monstrous humanoids that live deep underground.
18 Dire corbies usually fight with their bare hands, but sometimes use gigantic morningstars or clubs. Their shrieking can strike fear into even the strongest heart.
23 Dire corbies are immune to fear, but bright lights hurt their eyes. All other Underdark races hate them.
28 Dire corbies are especially hated by kenku, who view them as shameful relatives.

Dire Corby CR 3
Usually CE Monstrous Humanoid
Init +1; Senses Listen +3, Spot +3, darkvision 120ft, light sensitivity
Languages Kenku
AC 14, touch 11, flat-footed 13
(+1 Dex, +3 natural)
hp 19 (3 HD)
Immune fear
Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3
Spd 40ft (8 squares)
Melee 2 claws +6 (1d6+3) or Large morningstar +6 (2d6+3) and claw +1 (1d6+1)
Base Atk +3; Grp +10
Atk Options rage
Special Actions doomscreech
Abilities Str 16, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 7, Wis 11, Cha 8
SQ powerful build
Feats Ability Focus (doomscreech) (B), Alertness, Endurance
Skills Hide +2, Listen +3, Spot +3
Environment Any underground
Organization Solitary, pair, flock (3-12) or mob (4-40)
Treasure Standard
Advancement By character class
Favored Class Barbarian
Level Adjustment +2

Doomscreech (Ex): Once per day as a move action, a dire corby can give a horrifying screech. All creatures within 60 feet that can hear the doomscreech must make a DC 12 Will save or be shaken for 1 minute. This is a mind-influencing fear effect. The save DC is Charisma based.

Light Sensitivity (Ex): A dire corby is treated as dazzled when in bright light (such as sunlight or the light created by a daylight spell).

Powerful Build (Ex): A dire corby is treated as being one size larger for the purposes of any opposed check with a size modifier (such as grapple checks, bull rush attempts and trip attempts) and for the purposes of wielding weapons.

Rage (Ex): Once per day, a dire corby can enter a rage like a 1st level barbarian, giving it a +4 bonus to Strength and Constitution, a +2 bonus on Will saves and a -2 penalty to Armor Class. This rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 plus the dire corby’s Constitution modifier, or 7 rounds for the average dire corby. When raging, the dire corby’s statistics change as follows:

AC 12, touch 9, flat-footed 11
hp 25
Fort +5, Will +5
Atk 2 claws +8 (1d6+5) or Large morningstar +8 (2d6+5) and claw +3 (1d6+2)
Grp +12
Abilities Str 20, Con 19

COPYRIGHT 2007 NICHOLAS HEROLD.

Demiurge out.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
You're not the only one to appreciate these! ;) They even got a mention in a recent Candlekeep Compendium (though no stats).

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
jinnetics said:
So you have no interest in submitting it for Dungeon online?
I have no idea if the online Dungeon is even going to have a Wandering Monster feature. I don't remember it being mentioned in the new submission guidelines.

Demiurge out.

Zarahon

First Post
Great job :) ! Like how you gave them more of a backstory unlike any other reinterpritation of them before. Makes sence that they were once related to the new Kenku (3.5), I imagine that you were refferring to the Desmondu as the object of their disdain late in the description?
Did you use the Tome of Horrors stats for them they fetured as referrence or did you create new stats from scratch?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Zarahon said:
Great job :) ! Like how you gave them more of a backstory unlike any other reinterpritation of them before. Makes sence that they were once related to the new Kenku (3.5), I imagine that you were refferring to the Desmondu as the object of their disdain late in the description?
Did you use the Tome of Horrors stats for them they fetured as referrence or did you create new stats from scratch?
I avoided looking at the stats from the ToH version, except as a "don't do this" - I explicitly wanted to give them some form of abilities besides just two claw attacks.

And the reference to their hatred of bats is one of the very few flavor text bits from the original Fiend Folio entry. They lost a war with the giant intelligent bats. Hard.

Demiurge out.

jinnetics

Explorer
demiurge1138 said:
I have no idea if the online Dungeon is even going to have a Wandering Monster feature. I don't remember it being mentioned in the new submission guidelines.

Demiurge out.

I know it specifically mentions "new monsters" as one of the things that makes a good submission. It didn't specify Wandering Monster per se, but I say give it a shot!

Zarahon

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
I avoided looking at the stats from the ToH version, except as a "don't do this" - I explicitly wanted to give them some form of abilities besides just two claw attacks.

And the reference to their hatred of bats is one of the very few flavor text bits from the original Fiend Folio entry. They lost a war with the giant intelligent bats. Hard.

Demiurge out.

Yeah, as much as I loved what ToH does in reviveing old forgoten 1st/2nd edition monsters, they don't do so much as to the ways of applying them in the new settings as such. I plan on doing something new and interesting with the Folaren (spelling?). You know that Nymph/Daemon hybrid which hates its own existance more then all others. When I tried simply creating a MM version of a Nymph with a half-fiend template, it was still too powerfull with the whole death when looking at her SA :\ . So back to the drawing board there.

The_Warlock

Explorer
Just saw a link to this post...

You are not alone!

I used Dire Corbies in my campaign as the nightmare-infused and twisted bodies of Avariel Elves that inhabited a cyst under the ground where a Demon General of the Nightmare Realm/Plane of Dreams was imprisoned by an ancient city of winged elves who sacrificed themselves in an elaborate ritual.

They leapt off of ledges and spindly obsidian bridges which crossed the cavern to grapple the flying PCs in order to force them to crash into the sharp obsidian/sickstone floor of the massive cavern.

Dire Corbies...the flightless angry underground bird man FOR EVERY OCCASION!!

Last edited:

Remove ads