• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Wannabe DM requesting help

Nemio

First Post
Hey guys,

After several years thinking about possibly playing D&D I've finally decided to give it a go :)
Some family members promised to play with me if I can explain it to them.
This means that I would be the DM and I'm okay with that since it attracts me even more than being a player.

I don't have any experience though unless you count the times when I played Hero Quest with my dad when I was 12 :p

Watching some youtube video's of the game in action really got me into it.
The Acquisitions Inc Pax Games, Robot chicken DnD, etc. They're all fantastic.

I also found the DM in those video's (Chris Perkins from Wotc) to be amazing.
I went through all the archives of the blog he wrote (The DM Experience) in record time.

Now, it seems that I picked an interesting time with D&D Next around the corner.
Are there any things that I can buy, read or play awaiting its release?

My end goal is to play an adventure that is suitable for a group of players (4 to 6) that is completely new to D&D and hopefully get a recurring thing going.
I guess that also depends on my DM performance so I'm a bit nervous about that.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
You did your homework it seems! If you like D&D Next, i'd say use the playtest packet until 5E releases.

Happy gaming!

Ahnehnois

First Post
I guess that also depends on my DM performance so I'm a bit nervous about that.
On that level, it's important to actively solicit feedback, both beforehand by making sure you know what the players' background are and what they want out of a game, and after running a session. I occasionally did organized surveys and and often did disorganized discussions in my early days. Making an active effort to get that feedback not only provides you with useful information, it also demonstrates to the players that you are acknowledging where you are as a DM and are genuinely interested in them, which can help.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
When running fights just roll with what feels good and when in doubt use an ability check.

Try to accommodate your players wishes, when a player ask to do something that you haven't thought about the best responses will most likely be "o.k, but..."

Related to the above point, when you encounter a situation around the table that you haven't thought about don't be ashamed to take a small break to think about it, things like taking a 5 minute bathroom break, or a soda break, or a smoke break could help you reach decisions without feeling hurried.

I know I said that you should try being as accommodating to your players as much as possible but some times you can say no.

Warder

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Hi Nemio, welcome to ENWorld and welcome the roleplaying hobby!

Others have already given you some good advice regarding products and such, but let me add the most important thing, which can't be said too often: have fun!

Next's structure is pretty straightforward (roll a d20, add attibute bonus and beat the DC). No use to waste time in your first sessions to look up some rules detail; the play's the thing.

Again: I wich you a warm welcome to the community!

Nemio

First Post
Thanks everyone for the great advice :)

I've read about Ghost of Dragonspear castle and it looks interesting.

This adventure should take players from lvl 1 to 10
I suspect that if playing becomes a recurring thing that we could play once or maybe twice per month for a session of about 4 hours
How many sessions will this take then?

And can adventures be modfied easily if I'm playing with more or less players than the story is written for?

Also, I'm wondering if it might be better to play a one-shot adventure instead.
You know, like the ones Chris Perkins uses to introduce new people to D&D
I tried to look for the Tomb of the Orc slayer one from the Robot Chicken Dnd video's but if I understood correctly it's something he made up.

I would do this so that the people who liked it and want to continue can create their proper character with desired background.
Or is this not a good idea?

In the end I would like to give my players a sense of total freedom so I would need to go for a sandbox style world.
Though I would only start doing this when I'm comfortable with normal "railroaded" adventures first.

One last thing, will the DnD Starter Kit include a new adventure targeted to new DM's / players or will it be one of the adventures that have already been released?

Will Doyle

Explorer
I agree that you should go for a one-shot rather than start a campaign. If you're holding out for the starter set, it's guaranteed to have a beginner adventure (most likely something new).

My advice: don't get bogged down in rules, and keep it informal. Practice a silly voice, even if it's only used for a talking door. Drop them in a dungeon. Try to roll with the player's ideas wherever possible, rather than nerf them.

The playtest package had a Chris Perkins adventure called "Mines of Madness" that was silly, brutal and classic in equal measure. I'd recommend that if you can get hold of it.

Rootuser

First Post
You can always change the story around to the way you want it.

A few suggestions:

1. Be consistent. Players appreciate fairness. No character is irreplaceable but players can be.
2. If you change the story from a pre-made, make sure you get it well done in advance. A full background and being ready for the players turning left instead of right when going down the story path is important.
3. Make sure the players keep a common goal. As a new group, you'll want to focus all their attention on one thing that kind of forces them to work together. Each should give a sh*t about the other because what that does it allows them to bond while playing which will make your game more successful in the long run.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads