Want An RPG Writing Contract With Paizo? RPG Superstar Is Back!

Paizo's annual RPG design competition is back! Owen K. Stephens takes over from Sean K. Reynolds as the host with K. as their middle name. Four finalists will win writing contracts with Paizo. Judges include Paizo staff, plus luminaries such as Green Ronin's Nicole Lindroos, and previous RPG Superstar winners. I was a judge last year, so I know how much work goes into the whole shebang.

Paizo's annual RPG design competition is back! Owen K. Stephens takes over from Sean K. Reynolds as the host with K. as their middle name. Four finalists will win writing contracts with Paizo. Judges include Paizo staff, plus luminaries such as Green Ronin's Nicole Lindroos, and previous RPG Superstar winners. I was a judge last year, so I know how much work goes into the whole shebang.

Direct from Paizo -- "Never heard of RPG Superstar™? This contest spans the course of several weeks, with each round presenting our contestants with various design challenges. The first round is an Open Call where the community votes on their favorite entries from hundreds of submissions which our panel of judges will use to narrow down the best 32 entries. These top 32 will move on to compete to determine who will be the next RPG Superstar™. The overall winner of RPG Superstar™ 2015 will be announced on March 24, 2015!"

Three runners-up will win the opportunity to write Pathfinder Society Scenarios. The winner of RPG Superstar 2015 will win the ultimate prize, writing their own 64-page Pathfinder Module!

RPGSuperstar2015_360.jpeg

The schedule involves five rounds - an open call, followed by a top 32, 16, 8, and 4. The schedule is below.

Round
Start
Entries Due
Voting Begins
Voting Ends
Winners Announced
Open Call: Design a Magic Armor, Weapon, Ring, Rod, or Staff
9 Sep
16 Dec
18 Dec
13 Jan
20 Jan
Top 32: Create a Map
20 Jan
23 Jan
27 Jan
2 Feb
3 Feb
Top 16: Create a Monster and Stat Block
3 Feb
6 Feb
10 Feb
16 Feb
17 Feb
Top 8: Design an Encounter with a Map
17 Feb
20 Feb
24 Feb
2 Mar
3 Mar
Top 4: Submit an Adventure Proposal
3 Mar
13 Mar
17 Mar
23 Mar
24 Mar

Owen K.C. Stephens tells us about it here:

It's that time of year again, we're beginnig to announce details for the next RPG Superstar™ contest! Every year, Paizo holds an annual open-call RPG design competition to give the best and brightest aspiring game designers a chance to show the world their talent. This year, we're going to be shaking things up a bit.

For starters, I'll be acting as your host throughout the contest. For those of you who have no idea who I am, my name is Owen K.C. Stephens and I was brought on as a developer by Paizo earlier this year. I work primarily on the Pathfinder Modules and Pathfinder Player Companion lines, and I have a long history of writing for Paizo on a number of products. Since the prize for winning RPG Superstar™ is an adventure we'll publish in one of our RPG Modules, I'm getting involved in the contest early and will be helping oversee it this year.

The contest itself is going to be ramping up the degree of difficulty in several rounds as a result of how consistently amazing the entries have been year after year. We're convinced the talent pool exists to make several of the stages tougher than previous years, and that the best contestants are going to thrive under the pressure. That shouldn't discourage anyone from entering! Instead, think of this as an even better test of your skills. Anyone who makes it to the last few rounds of this year's contest should be confident they have what it takes to get work in the tabletop RPG industry.

What won't change is the core concept and processes we've developed over several years of RPG Superstar™. We have some surprises for you, and some rounds will have new challenges, but things will seem very familiar to fans who have followed the contest for several years. Where things significantly change from previous contests, I'll provide extra guidance on how we envision the round going, and why we made the change.

The first big change: entries for Open Call are not wondrous items, as they have been in every other year of the contest. Instead we're asking contestants to create a magic item from one of the following categories: armor, shield, weapon, staff, ring, or rod. As always, the magic item should conform to the rules and format given in the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook for items of that type. In the case of a magic suit of armor, shield, or weapon, it should be an example of a specific armor, shield, or weapon, rather than one created by adding magic special abilities. Think breastplate of command and life-drinker, rather than a +1 ghost touch chain shirt or +1 keen flaming bastard sword. Further if you decide to do a magic staff make sure you have a concept that elevates it above a "spell-in-a-can" with multiple spells. We are, after all, looking for Superstars!

We're making this change to the first round for a number of reasons. First, we want to strongly encourage contestants to create something new, rather than re-submitting an item they've used in previous years (even if they've modified it since then). Secondly, we want to see how well people can do with a surprise and a tight deadline. Writing in the RPG industry is often done with short schedules and sometimes the needs of a project change after you've already started working on it. By shaking things up in the first round, we'll get finalists who know they can handle the chaos and pressure of writing for RPG projects in real-world conditions.

Open Call is otherwise very much as past years. The open call begins today, and you need to have your entry in by December 16 at 2:00 PM Pacific time. We'll be maintaining public voting for these initial entries as we've done for the past 2 years. So your magic item will initially be judged by being presented to voters along with another randomly determined item. That means if you submit a magic ring it'll be compared to many items that aren't rings, so be sure you present something that can stand up to competition in any form. The top 32 items will be determined by the community along with feedback and oversight from our judges for this round, and those 32 competitors will face other game design challenges in the remaining rounds of the competition!

So loosen up your creative muscles, start crafting a magic item, and get ready to be the next RPG Superstar™!

jamesjhaeck

Explorer
This year has been my first exposure to RPG Superstar. I'm a solid writer and I love designing for D&D-style RPGs. I've never played Pathfinder, but I got my start in the hobby by DMing 3.5e for the better part of three years. I'm currently devouring Pathfinder PDFs (it's a pretty cunning plan on Paizo's part), and simultaneously enjoying myself and remembering why I left the bloat of 3.5e alone years ago.

I would love to advance to the Top 32—even that would be a pretty feather in my cap—but I haven't staked my ego on this project. It's just another project. I think that's the best way to approach this.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
If you haven't participated in a previous RPG Superstar contest, you ought to look at the entry advice threads from past RPG Superstar on the Paizo boards, as they tell you what the judges prefer and do not prefer. Despite the current contest being armor, weapon, ring, rod or staff, when past contests were always wondrous items, the judges definitely don't prefer "spells-in-a-can", camping items, items with heavy background history or pertaining to a specific hero (by name), aside from their list of disqualifying inclusions.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If you haven't participated in a previous RPG Superstar contest, you ought to look at the entry advice threads from past RPG Superstar on the Paizo boards, as they tell you what the judges prefer and do not prefer. Despite the current contest being armor, weapon, ring, rod or staff, when past contests were always wondrous items, the judges definitely don't prefer "spells-in-a-can", camping items, items with heavy background history or pertaining to a specific hero (by name), aside from their list of disqualifying inclusions.

It definitely varies. When I was a judge, I leaned towards flavour more than others who were stricter on the mechanics and formatting.

It doesn't matter if you doubt yourself or think that you don't have the talent to win the contest versus folks that might have written for a 3PP a few times.

If it's something that you -want- to win, then you should enter it. At the very minimum the experience will make you better, and if you get into the higher rounds, Paizo will take notice of folks that have talent and names that popped up in the top 32 have invariable gone on to do stuff for Paizo and various other publishers. It's a wonderful way to get yourself out there for notice.
While there are a fair number of people who have moved from the top 32 to some sporadic freelance work, and a few that have gone on to do even more, that seems to be getting rarer. There's over 200 "Top 32s" (with a few repeated appearances), to say nothing of the 25+ Top 4s. Paizo doesn't need to tap any of the recent people when then have dozens whom they've already worked with. Their talent pool is huge.

Honestly, at this point Paizo should be offering work to the people who have made the Top 16 multiple times.

Plus, realistically, I think we've reached "peak Pathfinder". They were the only game in town for a couple years and now have competition while reaching content saturation. I don't think we'll see as much content in 2016 as will be in 2015 or 2014. Paizo should have more than enough contributors for future endeavours.

Remove ads

Remove ads