Want to Help Design an Artifact? -- Theoparts of Tharizdun!

Aluvial

Explorer
Hi there, I want to design an artifact based on old Greyhawk stuff; mainly a 3.5 version of the Theoparts of Tharizdun.

I am going to start with information I've lifted off of Gord's Greyhawk. This is without permission.
Gord's Greyhawk said:
Theorparts
These are the pieces of the Tripartite Artifact of All Evil, each part representing one of the evil alignments. When joined together they will release Tharizdun from his bondage. The Awakener is kept in a pyramid in the Suss forest and the Unbinder lies in the Suloise metropolis now known as the Forgotten City. As insurance against The Evil One's release, all parts can only be retrieved by mortals. No matter who holds them, they will be corrupted and lost to an evil power ('one artifact to rule them all, one artifact to find them...').

When the pieces are used to unlock the Prison of Tharizdun, part of each are turned into rings. These rings bind the good that fought against Tharizdun to imprison him. The remaining portions of the Theorparts contain his evil. The Unbinder ring can summon a phoenix capable of eating the grubs from Tharizdun's axe. The three rings can melt adamantine and can also provide transport. They are most vulnerable in the Sea of Thought area of Greyhawk Castle.

The Initiator: The initial key, the one discovered by the Scarlet Brotherhood, is probably the Chaotic Evil one. It helps its possessor locate the second key. The Dukes of Hell requisition it from the Brotherhood at the beginning of Come Endless Darkness. Infestix acquires it and loans it to Demogorgon. It is equipped with a harmonic retrieval device. It can open a channel to the negative material plane and shoot anti-matter, as can also create a wall of positive energy. It can be used to lure demonic brutes with fear and humility. It can create large scale illusions (Gord uses it to appear as Graz'zt, Elazalag, and their horde). It can reverse spells' directions and can create an invisible rack of iron spikes.

It can change into a ten foot long, mace-like pole arm, with a twelve inch spike on the bottom and several thin, axe-like, blades radiating from the head, with lower, leaf-like tines with solid spurs at their base. This weapon can disarm and snap weapons as well as inflict damage but it is slow and needs room to operate. As this weapon, it can crush armor with its weight and can kill with the tip or with its blades. It is a drain on mortal creatures, causing them to become zombies to it unless energy is drawn off of it by magical means (such as by Courflamme).

The Awakener - The Vitalizer - The Arouser
The second key, the one recovered by Obmi for Iuz, is "a distillation of evil", i.e. probably the Neutral Evil one. When it is located Tharizdun stirs and sends forth evil thoughts. It helps the possessor to locate the next key. It can release bat-like things in a spiral that cause silence. It can also generate a gameboard map of the Abyss and show recreations of events. It can produce a shielding web. It fires a withering stuff that can shred flesh from the bones. It can become a five foot long scimitar of evil red or turn into a whip with an energy cat-o-nine tails. It can fight on its own.

The Unbinder - The Cone of the Magi
The Lawful Evil Theorpart is found in the Great Temple in the Forgotten City. It is very black, in fact, it seems to devour light and drains energy. It is vaguely cone shaped and has three horns. Once recovered, it is held by Graz'zt. He gives it to Vuron between Come Endless Darkness and Dance of Demons. It can alter time by a factor of 60 so that it can go slow in some places and fast in others. With an additional Theorpart, time can be altered over a larger area. It can be used to heal, and to promote demons. It can be changed into a shield.

The Awakener and Initiator combined can change to a bardiche and to a morning star that shoots energy darts. It can also change into a staff that shoots lances of force, and into a whip.
What I would like to do is start with the second one, the Awakener.

The first thing is a description. So far, I've not read the Gord books, so I'm kind of screwed there. Anyone know what this thing looks like? Anyhow, I like the description of powers given and I want to use them all. I need help with the (?) areas.

Theopart 2
The Awakener -The Vitalizer - The Arouser

Step 1: Description
(?)

Step 2: Powers
In it's original form (?), the artifact is NUETRAL EVIL, it should always apply temporary level drain to all goods, lawfuls and chaotics. I think 4 levels is appropriate.

Locate the third theopart.

Bat Like Spiral of Silence (?) -- Perhaps an area of attacking (confusing) silence, perhaps the bats are negative energy, or shadow...

Generate gameboard map of the Abyss (?) -- Umm, this is more appropriate in the description, but it is a power.

Shielding Web (?) -- Pehaps this could be similar to an Otiluke's Sphere or Wall of Webs???

Withering Stuff (?) -- I haven't seen anything that shreds flesh, but it sounds COOL, perhaps something from the Book of Vile Darkness or maybe a Cone of Disintagrate!

This thing changes form into 2 different weapons, the large evil scimitar, and the energy cat 'o nine tails. Both forms are dancing.

Step 3: Scimitar Design -- Large, +3 or +4, gives Monkey Grip (which is a -2 to attacks), Evil aligned, additional negative levels when grasped (not when dancing), Red (?) - should be something.

Step 4: Whip Design -- +3 or +4, Brilliant Energy, Dancing, Whip or Scourge, plus some other power (?) -- electrical or bane good/lawful/chaotic.... something.

Theopart 1
The Initiator

(?)

Locate the second Theopart

Harmonic Retrieval Device (?) -- ???

Shoots Anti-matter (negative energy)!!! (?) -- Again Disintegrate...

Wall of Positive Energy (?)

Summon Demons (?) -- Type? Number?

Illusions (?) -- Obviously high level counterparts Which???

Reverse Spells -- Spell Turning (?) What power/level?

Invisible Iron Rack (?) -- What's this for....???

Step 3: Pole Arm/Mace
Bonus to disarms, sundering, crush armor!, drains mortals (?)

Theopart 3
The Unbinder

Black Cone with horns, sucks light

Alter time

Heal (?) -- How much? I suggest Mass Heal...

Promote Demons! (?) -- This is a huge effect...

Step 3: Shield
(?)

I'm going to save combos of the Theoparts until these are designed. Please, any help would be appreciated!!!

Aluvial

Last edited:

Gravenhurst48

Explorer
Well it seems I am eager to post on peeps who ain't on Enworld anymore, lol. First, READ THE GORD THE ROGUE novels! Or...
@Aluvial Check out Morianwens page post because he has all the powers and abilities and functions all described well. Honestly, it is no small task to ponder up the imaginations from one of the creators of Dungeons and Dragons, but back in the "Old School" days of 1stE, the sky is the limit for creating stuff up. So no one can top an imagination but your own, and it would be just easy scouring the tombs of DnD to mash a bunch of stuff together to create a Theopart. To me, Gary Gygax probably took past dead characters magical items and created a Dead Book, aka a Theopart! "So, you want your Wand of Withering back eh? Well ya gotta go to the Abyss to claim it." (From a demonic demilich to boot no doubt!)
Anyways, the Tomb of Magic from AD&D 2ndE, with Random Roll charts for artifacts and relics is a great start to get the old noggin going, then select anything not already used in the existing Theoparts. (But many more books available since 2006.)
If you get this post, update us on how your own Theoparts turned out in 3.5. Wow, what a tedious conversion. Cheers!

Manchurian

Villager
Bump

I also want to use this in my campaign the only difference is my story is set in the Forgotten Realms so i'd also need help in where to place the artifacts.
No problem my friend....I got Your Back On This..... I Have Every Old Module listing Different temples of Tharizdun.....Also his relics.....The original Theopart weapon I Have As Well....There is a module that shows were the 20 to 40 gems are that can free Tharizdun and he does have an old Ally.....An Ancient Dragon of Sorts...So Old it's more Proto like Kaiju in strength with dragon abilities and highly intelligent....

Manchurian

Villager
No problem my friend....I got Your Back On This..... I Have Every Old Module listing Different temples of Tharizdun.....Also his relics.....The original Theopart weapon I Have As Well....There is a module that shows were the 20 to 40 gems are that can free Tharizdun and he does have an old Ally.....An Ancient Dragon of Sorts...So Old it's more Proto like Kaiju in strength with dragon abilities and highly intelligent....
Message me at your earliest....I will begin gathering info and I post link to these lost temples ..Here is first link....it is tharizduns original artifact sword right uphttps://kingsway-role-playing-group.fandom.com/wiki/Druniazth

Gravenhurst48

Explorer
Message me at your earliest....I will begin gathering info and I post link to these lost temples ..Here is first link....it is tharizduns original artifact sword right uphttps://kingsway-role-playing-group.fandom.com/wiki/Druniazth
@Manchurian Hi, I replied to this post from Morianwens post who was asking for help on the Theoparts. Both posters are no longer on Enworld, though Aluvial is a member but his post is 2006! N comments till mine, lol. So you most likely will not receive a reply. I also have enough material about Tharizdun too, so I am not looking for help on him, though I do need to know what the Theoparts look like when in three parts? Descriptions are about what the Theopart looks like when a power is used, such as a sword, or a whip. Without me digging up my Gord novels - I gotta unbury these novels with a plethora of information - I have a triangle in mind? Or are the parts whatever power is evoked, say the obsidian wand, this is what a part looks like. And when all three are joined become THE Theopart?
I did have an image of an ahnk too? I think more a triangle.

Last edited:

Manchurian

Villager
Believe It Our Not Tharizdun Is Already out....That's His Main form...in prison....that's the one with the Primordial power.....It is interesting for you to send the PC's on a epic Adventure....to stop it knowing deep back in your mind this Is futile....here is that other Artifact That Can Free His Main Form. The 333 Gems Can Also Free Him....what's naughty word up ...they gonna try stop the Theo part artifact but even if they due the 333 gems can free his main form from the dimensional prison

Manchurian

Villager
Believe It Our Not Tharizdun Is Already out....That's His Main form...in prison....that's the one with the Primordial power.....It is interesting for you to send the PC's on a epic Adventure....to stop it knowing deep back in your mind this Is futile....here is that other Artifact That Can Free His Main Form. The 333 Gems Can Also Free Him....what's naughty word up ...they gonna try stop the Theo part artifact but even if they due the 333 gems can free his main form from the dimensional prison

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191219-124430.png
    Screenshot_20191219-124430.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 312
  • Screenshot_20191219-124451.png
    Screenshot_20191219-124451.png
    152.6 KB · Views: 190

Remove ads