Want to Start Traveller and Explore the Universe? Start Here!

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
Traveller has been voyaging across the universe for many decades, almost for as long as the longest-running RPG!

With hundreds of publications and millions upon millions of words within them, Traveller might seem a little daunting for the newcomer.

However, the core rules system is very simple (roll two dice, add modifiers, try to hit a target number... that is it!), and it easily handles a multitude of campaign styles, including exploration, military/mercenary work, trading, naval bridge crews, bounty hunting, xenoarchaeology... sometimes all within the same campaign! In fact, you will find the Charted Space universe large enough to cope with any play style, whether you are looking for one-shots or a multi-year-spanning epic.

And we have now made dipping your toes into Traveller much easier.

Just start here: Start Here

Screen smaller JPEG.jpg

We even have some free-to-download adventures on DrivethruRPG to kick off your campaign as you set out for the stars...

Death Station: DriveThruRPG
Stranded: DriveThruRPG

Take a vacation to the Far Future. Everyone here is very friendly!

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
From the link above:
"Traveller is the oldest science fiction roleplaying game..."
Now we know this isn't true so why are you saying it in the first sentence on a site aimed at new players?

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
From the link above:
"Traveller is the oldest science fiction roleplaying game..."
Now we know this isn't true so why are you saying it in the first sentence on a site aimed at new players?
We didn't say first :)

Contenders for that would be (and I apologise if I skip any) Starfaring, Metamorphosis Alpha, Flash Gordon and the Warriors of Mongo, Space Patrol and Space Quest. Most of those have long since left us. Metamorphosis Alpha is currently about under Goodman Games - again, will have to apologise, I am not aware if it is still being actively supported, I haven't spoken to Joseph for years.

However, Metamorphosis Alpha had a long, long period where it was not effectively around. On the other hand, Traveller also had its 'Long Night'... but that was no where near as long.

We are not looking to slight anyone or any game... just didn't think we could fit all of that on the splash page :)

aramis erak

Legend
However, Metamorphosis Alpha had a long, long period where it was not effectively around. On the other hand, Traveller also had its 'Long Night'... but that was no where near as long.
Less than 4 years without a Traveller edition in distribution. I think it may be less than 4 years without traveller in production.
CT 77-89, MT 87-94, TNE93-96, T4 98-00, CT reprints (big floppies) circa 2000, GRIP Reprint 2001? to about 2006, T20 2006-2008 - killed off by your license, BTW, angering many of its fans - GT 1998 to 2015... Hero Traveller was only available for a few months via electronic.
Wait. That's Zero years...

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
T20 2006-2008 - killed off by your license, BTW, angering many of its fans
Okay, Rumour Control: We did not 'kill' T20. It was already distinctly moribund and needed a line drawing underneath it.

Put another way, at no point did we say we would only take the licence under certain conditions. Such decisions are made elsewhere.

(Seriously guys, all we want to do is introduce more people to Traveller :)).

The Soloist

Adventurer
Okay, Rumour Control: We did not 'kill' T20. It was already distinctly moribund and needed a line drawing underneath it.

Put another way, at no point did we say we would only take the licence under certain conditions. Such decisions are made elsewhere.

(Seriously guys, all we want to do is introduce more people to Traveller :)).
I like your products. Currently playing with the 2022 update core. ;)

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
We didn't say first :)

Contenders for that would be (and I apologise if I skip any) Starfaring, Metamorphosis Alpha, Flash Gordon and the Warriors of Mongo, Space Patrol and Space Quest. Most of those have long since left us. Metamorphosis Alpha is currently about under Goodman Games - again, will have to apologise, I am not aware if it is still being actively supported, I haven't spoken to Joseph for years.

We are not looking to slight anyone or any game... just didn't think we could fit all of that on the splash page :)
No one said "first" - you said "oldest" and it is not the oldest SFRPG.

One example (among others as you mentioned) MA is definitely older and is still in print in several places and editions:

That took me all of 30 seconds to locate. Internet, you know. I didn't need to call Joseph Goodman - or Jim Ward.

I've been playing Traveller for over 40 years through almost every version but this is still not a true statement. A game being out of print for a number of years doesn't make it "younger". You don't need to embellish Traveller's status - it stands on its own.

This is just embarrassing though.

EonTrinity

Villager
Love the second edition and the new 2023 updates!

Any thoughts to reprinting the Starter set? Or separately publishing Tinath?

Looking forwards to years of cool stuff for this line!

ET

Remove ads