• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wanted: A female point of view please

Saint Mac

First Post
Hi all,

This is one of those "It could be in several different forum areas" post..sorry.

I've been a DM/GM and player for a long time and I have to say, I like to play in groups that are 'mixed'. I've heard in the past by some that having a female presence in the group is distracting and therefore not recommended. I've found it to be just the opposite.

Having said that, I'm in need of a female perspective. I am just now reading Pathfinder books now to make a change. Since I haven't found a group to play with yet, I'm beginning to think I'm going to end up having to be a GM again, just to play.

So, here's my request. Although it may sound odd or bias or wahtever, I'm looking for posts and blogs from women who play Pathfinder. What I'm after is an other view point on what they like in the platform itself as well as in their favorite campaigns.

If you would be so kind to point me in a direction, I would really appreciate it. If you're a guy like me and happen to know of a female player that would like to share, would you mind asking them to help me out?

Thanks! I appreciate your time.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Just an aside....

My wife hates reading game books and doesn't if she can at all help it, despite being an avid gamer. To her, they read like text books. As a result it is a rare thing to get her to sit in the GM chair.

With Pathfinder, she actually found herself enjoying reading the books and is now working on her own campaign world to GM in in the very near future.

I'm not sure what the difference is, but there it is.

Crothian

First Post
And to show that women gamers are no easier to group together then their male counterparts the one woman in our Pathfinder game was so frustrated reading the Pathfinder book she nearly quit. She found it boring, poorly organized, and frustrating to read.

Saint Mac

First Post
Thanks for the responces !

I keep hearing praise from female gamers about Pathfinder, but I can't seem to understand the difference between say D&D 3.5 and Path that would make such a change in heart. *shurg* I know my own reasons for leaving 4e for Pathfinder, but not sure what's brewing out there.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Playing with the girls is really no different than playing with the guys. I personally think you would be wasting your time doing "research".

You can play with 1 girl that likes the roleplaying & hates the rules. Then you'll play with another girl that isn't very interested in roleplaying, but likes building characters. Sometimes girls are more into diplomacy, and then some just want to kick down the door and beat everyone up.

.......just like there may be guys that are into different aspects of the game.

Instead, I think you'd be better off waiting until you get your group of players together and find out what your female players are like. Then do the research based on that play style/personality.

I'm confused though. You said you haven't found a group to play with, but you're already gung ho about doing research on women. Are you just looking for a group that has a woman in it? How do you know you'll be playing with any women? I don't mean to sound mean, but this sounds a little desperate to me. Like you're just gaming in hopes to meet women or have social contact with women. If you end up DMing a game, you should be worrying about a lot more important things besides the presence of a female player at the table. That's just my advice, I apologize if I'm coming off as being harsh.

Don't get me wrong though, women are great! :p

Saint Mac

First Post
LOL, Oryan I think we posted within seconds of eachother. Appreciate your comments and think I needed to do a better job on my initial post.

As a player and DM of MANY years (I'm 42), I understand that this could look odd. I'm a happily married mand with 2 children, so I'm seriously not cruising for chicks. lol What I'm after is why am I hearing of ladies leaving groups of 3.5 and 4e and picking up Pathfinder? Is there something about the RPG platform that's more attractive than the others for reasons that we dudes are thinking about. *shrug* Not a waste of time if there's something that I can add to my DM style.

That why I kicked out the question on the post.

As for the "haven't played" comment, its because I'm new to Pathfinder not RPGs. I'm I should have written that post better. My bad.

samursus

Explorer
OP, your last post clarified to me better to what you have been asking. Personally I haven't seen the phenomena you are speaking of. The few female players I know either are completely new to RPG's, don't care about editions, or in one case, prefers 3.5. I actually don't know anyone, male or female, that plays PF.

Saint Mac

First Post
Thanks all for the replies...maybe its just a Iowa/Des Moines thing going on....pretty small gaming community so maybe small changes stand out? lol

Oryan77

Adventurer
As a player and DM of MANY years (I'm 42), I understand that this could look odd. I'm a happily married mand with 2 children, so I'm seriously not cruising for chicks.

Ok haha :lol: That makes more sense then. The original post sounded pretty funny to me, but now I understand what you're getting at.

OP, your last post clarified to me better to what you have been asking. Personally I haven't seen the phenomena you are speaking of.

I also have never heard of anything like that about any kind of RPG. I'd say that it most likely isn't really anything to worry about. I doubt there is any kind of specific thing that any other normal RPG is doing to specifically cause women to play or not play it. It is probably just a coincidence.

I'd honestly focus your time and attention on deciding which edition you would most like to DM and go from there. If men & women want to play it with you, they'll respond. If you get no responses, then mention that you'er willing to DM whichever edition people want to play.

Remove ads