• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

War Dogs/Riding Dogs

Bobbystopholes

First Post
Can a medium sized PC purchase Riding Dogs and use them to attack (Ring of Animal Friendship, Spell of AF, etc.)?

I was DMing a LG game and a druid had them. I wasn't sure if it was true, but his character was 3rd level so I'm sure many other DMs have seen it and let it pass.

Also, along the same line, a normal riding dog is 150gp. Can you buy one that is already trained for war? How much more would that be?

Thanks in advance.

Kamard

First Post
I always let my players purchase war dogs and have them attack.

a) Its one more mouth to feed.
b) Its one more bleeding carcass to heal, and if you're good, that fambly pet will be something you want to heal.
c) Its another fraction for XP awards- and if you don't run in that way, I sure do.

Bobbystopholes

First Post
Well, since the animals can't gain levels, then the XP thing is right out. I won't take them down into dungeons and such, necessarily, but we have played scenarios in my home game where the horses are attacked by wild animals while the PCs are in the dungeon. Not nice stuff. Luckily we have an 8th level Paladin's mount in the mix. He was able to save the horses until we could get there to finish the wolves off! These were big wolves, not your normal kind ;)

I already have a pet Ferret (I am an 8th level cleric of Mayaheine), a Bear Animal Companion (ring), and like to have animals around. I will heal them. That is for sure. I won't ressurect dogs, but I probably would my bear.

Any idea how much a war dog would cost? It's a skill based thing and a 1st level character could do it, so I don't see it costin much to teach a dog one trick. Now, if you ask for multiples, then I could see it rising!

Brother Laszlo

First Post
Bobbystopholes said:
It's a skill based thing and a 1st level character could do it, so I don't see it costin much to teach a dog one trick. Now, if you ask for multiples, then I could see it rising!

Well, a real attack dog wouldn't be a one-trick dog. Yeah, any shmoe can teach a dog to attack something, but to have a dog that's worth something in combat, you'd have something more like a highly trained police dog, that wouldn't get scared off by loud noises or get confused, or just start tearing into anything near it. It would be a pretty high DC I think to train an animal to be anywhere near useful in a combat situation.

Bobbystopholes

First Post
The riding dog is already trained to fight and be ridden. It costs 150gp, so I'd say it is already taught tricks. War is an extra tack that I am going to say it is taught instead of riding. The town I am buying them in has no small peoples and lots of farms and such so I'm sure it has guard dogs.

It's all up to the DM. Next level I'll be taking Handle Animal as a cross-class though. That way, I can begin the slow work of getting my bear ready for a rider ;)

We made it quite simple: My Ranger/Fighter bought a war dog for the same price as a riding dog. (And I cast Animal Friendship on the dog. This wouldn`t be really neccessary. Someone with a good Handle Animal Skill should be able to handle a war dog)
Read the Monster Manual, page 196.
"Combat: If trained for war, these animals can make trip attacks just as wolves do."
We assumed that a War Dog is no longer able (better: willing) to carry a rider, though this is not explicitely stated in the text.

Mustrum Ridcully

Remove ads