• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

War Hammer 40k

zepherusbane

Explorer
So back in the early 90's some friends talked me into buying the War Hammer 40k starter set and a bunch of extra miniatures and books. I toyed around with it a bit, but not once did I actually play a real, full battle scenario.

I like the concept of wargaming and I used to enjoy painting the miniatures, but I don't really know if I missed out by not getting into playing the game seriously.

Can some of you with experience tell me if it's worth having another look at this game? I don't know if it's worth the effort or if there is still a following out there.

When I bought the game I lived a thousand miles from where I live now, and I don't know even one person who plays 40k in my new location.

DM Howard

Explorer
I think it's a great game, even more so if you enjoy the all the background that is behind the game. I'd suggest giving it a go, perhaps find a local shop where it's played and ask someone to demo a game for you? I will say that it is a little heavy on the wallet if you buy a lot all at once.

malcolypse

First Post
My wife loves the setting, and expressed an interest in playing the RPG and the miniature game, so I bought her both. I even learned what a "Nurgle" was so that she was able to make me understand her lunatic ravings about 40k.

She hasn't had time to put together her minis or plan a RPG campaign between school and work, so I can't vouch for the fun of either.

I will say that I dig the miniatures, and am interested in wargames in general.

Also, if you dropped enough cash into the hobby to play in most full battles, and then the friends that talked you into it never actually played the game with you, you should hunt them to the ends of the Earth and hit them with rocks.

Zustiur

Explorer
Warhammer 40k is a great game. Definitely not an RPG though!
It should have a pretty big following wherever you go - check out if there's a 'Games Workshop' store in your city. If there is, they'll be only too happy to give you a demonstration.
As Dndungeoneer said though; it can be very expensive. It can also be extremely time consuming (all that painting).
I stopped playing a while back, but that was due to life changes etc, not anything wrong with the game itself.

When you get into it, you'll find that there's a wide variety of people that play it - from the ones who just love collecting the models, to the ones who dominate every tournament they play in. Just be prepared for DND level nerdiness and you'll be fine.

pgmason

Explorer
There's certainly a following out there. 40k is probably the most widely played wargame around. There WILL be players in your area, but they may take a bit of finding. If you have a FLGS that's the best place to start.

It sounds like you probably have the 2nd Edition starter set if it dates from the early '90s. The current version is 5th edition and the rules are quite different, and 6th is expected in the summer of this year. The change from 2nd to 3rd was a lot like the change from AD&D to 3e in scope, and then 4th and 5th are like 3.5 and pathfinder respectively in terms of difference. It's widely hoped that 6th will incorporate some of the best bits from earlier editions like 2nd, but nobody knows for sure. I'd wait for 6th before shelling out on an up to date rulebook. Because of the popularity of pick up games in stores and tournaments, you'll generally find it easier to find opponents for the most up-to date version of the rules, although much like with D&D there are a few people who still play earlier editions.

The models that you have will still be perfectly usable, although there has been some understandable evolution in sculpting style over the last 2 decades, so they might look slightly odd alongside the newest figures (especially the snap-fit orks from the starter set - orks got a big style makeover in 3rd edition to look more brutal). Nothing to worry about though.

Games Workshop has a store/club finder which will help you find other players in your area, and there are lots of 40k community sites out there. Warseer.com and DakkaDakka.com are among the most popular.

The setting is one of the game's best assets and has been explored a lot in other media. Video games like Space Marine and Dawn of War have been very popular, there's a massive range of 40k novels published by Black Library, and Fantasy Flight has several 40k related roleplaying games and board games in print. There's even been a film called Ultramarines, but it's not terribly good.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Is_907

First Post
I had a great time playing 40k. It's a lot of fun and scratches the tactics-nerd itch in me.
Eventually I had to drop playing it because I didn't have enough free time for RPGs and wargaming and work and being a dad... oh well.

If you have free time (remember a normal 1000pt battle will take anywhere from 2 to 6-8 hours) go for it!

Check both your FLGS(s) and the Games Workshop (if you have one nearby) to see where the player community is best.

zepherusbane

Explorer
Thanks for all the help everyone.

I guess I didn't even think of the fact that 40k would have had new versions the same way that D&D has had, silly of me. I looked and found that the copyright was from 1993 in the books but couldn't find any reference to what edition it was. Is that 2nd edition?

Is_907

First Post
Thanks for all the help everyone.

I guess I didn't even think of the fact that 40k would have had new versions the same way that D&D has had, silly of me. I looked and found that the copyright was from 1993 in the books but couldn't find any reference to what edition it was. Is that 2nd edition?

Looks like it is... Warhammer 40,000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can get a copy of the newer rulebook pretty easily online (used or new) and your models are going to be fine.

It's already been mentioned but if you like 40k's universe you MUST play Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader/Deathwatch... I played a few ongoing games of Dark Heresy my last year of university and loved every moment of it.

dagger

Adventurer
They have FOUR 40k pen and paper RPGs that are currently in print and supported. :)

Also they have one Warhammer Fantasy RPG game as well (and miniature hobby ala 40k).

Remove ads