War Hulk PrC a bit strong?

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
The lack of a BAB also limits what feats it can get at higher levels. Any feat with a BAB minimum will be harder to get.

Another strong limitation of the War Hulk is that all ranks you have in INT, WIS, or CHA based skills go away. Sure, you're a rampaging war machine, but you're in big trouble if you need to spot that rouge sneaking up on you.

Heck, you're in trouble if you have to do anything more thought-based than make change for a dollar. Lost in the forest? Too bad you don't have Survival any more. Need to bind your buddy's wounds? Well, you've still got a 50/50 or so chance. Lost your car keys? You can still take 20 on Search.

Knight Otu

First Post
I'm not sure if it is unbalanced, but for various reasons, the enormous Strength increase among them, I would have made it a 5 level PrC. The Epic progression is a minor point, possibly a non-issue if you progress it similar to the Mystic Theurge.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Knight Otu said:
I'm not sure if it is unbalanced, but for various reasons, the enormous Strength increase among them, I would have made it a 5 level PrC. The Epic progression is a minor point, possibly a non-issue if you progress it similar to the Mystic Theurge.

If you're a Large PC, and you hit 20 HD+class levels, Warhulk suddenly becomes awful tempting, since you don't have to worry about the 0 BAB at each level. "My BAB now increases at a fixed progression? Rock ON!"

I toyed with one for the epic-level game I'm in now, but since a friend also wanted to play a barbarian-type, I moved on to another type. I still like tinkering with it, though. I think I got a Frenzied Berserker - Warhulk build up to where he could hit Str 100 on a full-blown rage/frenzy.

Brad

hong

WotC's bitch
You know, if a BAB progression is good enough for a commoner, it should be darn well good enough for a war hulk.

Hong "remembers the halfling outrider" Ooi

Gez

First Post
I would not introduce this class IMC, and that is because it break one of the rules of the game (classes have a BAB of either full, 3/4, or 1/2 progression).

My reaction to it is as if it was a class with a BAB that would follow the good save formula, or of 1/pi times squared level, or anything else that breaks the mold.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
I don't think it's the first time a PrC didn't have a BAB. IIRC, the Survivor from Savage Species had +0 at all five levels.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Greatwyrm said:
I don't think it's the first time a PrC didn't have a BAB. IIRC, the Survivor from Savage Species had +0 at all five levels.

Neither did the halfling outrider from Sword & Fist. :p

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Piratecat said:
Neither did the halfling outrider from Sword & Fist. :p

That's because halflings have no place in real combat. :D

I can tell you exactly what that cave troll in FotR was thinking in Balin's Tomb. "Oooh, a furry little sous chef is coming at me with a saucepan! I quake in terror!" :)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Oh dear, it breaks the rules. Exactly where is that rule written down, anyway?

This is only one of several innovations in the MHb, breaking several customs that people have assumed are rules.

Another fascinating one is that given to most of the spell-casting classes: one ability score determines maximum level of spells and the number of bonus spells, another ability score determines the strength (DC) of the spells.

The Healer is a class with almost no offensive power! It's a class that seems designed for a cohort - and a good one as such.

The Aspects break the custom of giving powerful creatures multiple special abilities.

Spells that are automatically quickened! (The swift spells).

Cheers!

Remove ads