• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

War(locks), what is it good for?

rgard

Adventurer
pallandrome said:
Hey guys! Having never played a 'lock before, I thought I'd ask everyone what there opinions on the class was. The do's, the don'ts, and what have you. Do those incantations have a spell/day limit? How do they match up, survivability-wise? If set on fire, do they smell nice? I crave your opinions!

Here's a thread where I was attempting to list all the published warlock stuff. It may be of use:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=191211

sukael

First Post
Stalker0 said:
Further, I don't recommend warlocks at high levels (15+). There at will abilities don't look so hot when the wizard can cast 20+ spells per day, and does twice as much damage per shot.

On the other hand, warlocks of level 21+ become quite fun when you use the feats from this Epic Insights article on the Wizards web site.

Quick example:
[sblock]Shadowmaster [Epic]

You have walked the path of shadows, and now you have mastered its secrets.

Prerequisites: Spellcraft 24 ranks, beshadowed blast, dark discorporation, darkness, enervating shadow.

Benefit: You can create streaking masses of shadow around your form, providing you with a 50% miss chance against all attacks (as displacement). Activating this ability requires a standard action.

You can use material from the Plane of Shadows to create quasireal illusions, mimicking sorcerer and wizard conjuration spells of 8th level or lower (as shades). The illusions deal 80% damage to nonbelievers, and nondamaging effects are 80% likely to work against nonbelievers. Activating this ability requires a standard action.

You are immune to all spells with the shadow subtype and to effects that involve the use of shadows (such as the breath weapon of a shadow dragon). This is an extraordinary ability. [/sblock]

(Getting shades at will is quite a handy power-up, and helps with versatility problems.)

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I've always thought Flee the Scene would work well with a magebane weapon and hideous blow. You can Dimension Door at will to skip the BBEGs peons and go straight for the casters behind them. This is a combination you can easily have up and running by sixth level. Throw in Magic Eating armor (a bit pricy but cool effects) and your warlock can be an anti-magic warrior!

Flee the Scene also works well with Breath of Night. Caster have a hard time casting when line of sight is obscured. You could easily have this combination and the combination above by 6th level - and still have one more invocation to pick!

Shellman

First Post
DungeonMaester said:
Warlocks are tough to play unless you totally power game feats and invocations (Such as Mortalae feat and Hellfire blast invocation)

If you play them straight from Complete Arcane, then its not a whole lot of fun. Invocation growth rate is slow as all heck, which can make them borning as well, doing only a few spells over and over again.

6th level is when you get all the fun invocations..and you break loose all hell.

Warlocks get a small amount of DR and fast healing, but can die easily in a fight having little AC and HP. Take Elderic Spear and stay far back!

I have a Warlock in a campaign right now, and am really enjoying playing him because its more high end role play any way.

---Rusty

I disagree, warlocks are not tough to play. I am playing my second warlock and I am having alot of fun with it. Im actually playing a Sorcerer 4/ Warlock 4/ Eldritch Theurge 6 right now. He really lays the smack down!

I will say that Warlocks can be a bit boring at lower levels until you gain access to some of the higher level invocations. But hey when you can Eldritch Blast all day long, the trade off can be worth it.

Will a straight up Warlock be your party's primary spell caster? definately not.

Max out your Cha and Dex scores.

Think about taking extra invocation feat when you get bonus feats so you can expand your selection of invocations.

Otherwise you need to think about spell penetration and greater spell penetration feats if SR is going to be any kind of an issue in your game.

Hope this helps

rgard

Adventurer
pallandrome said:
Hey guys! Having never played a 'lock before, I thought I'd ask everyone what there opinions on the class was. The do's, the don'ts, and what have you. Do those incantations have a spell/day limit? How do they match up, survivability-wise? If set on fire, do they smell nice? I crave your opinions!

I compiled the list of sources into the first post so you don't have to read the entire thread:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=191211

Raspen

First Post
in the epic campain we play i have a warloc lvl 20 he isnt as powerfull as other guys but he has some major advantages.

as for Def he has good AC do to passing up every weopen and just getting AC gear

with Greater inv or engraving shadows i get a 50% miss anyway

my warloc is melee he uses Eld Glaive giving him 3 attack a round at 11d6 damage that is not only a flat footed touch attack so i dont ever miss but bypasses all DR add Vic to it and SR dont matter eather

When i do get hit a Flee the Sceen and fast heal

not to mention the meny meny other none combat stuff i can do

Warlocs are very fun at higher lvls its the lower lvls that drag a bit but with the right personality it shouldnt matter eather way

Remove ads