• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

War of the Burning Sky (updated 24th May)

Hehe.

On sort of the opposite end of the spectrum, I once had a player convince me in 3.0 to let him play a weretiger. After he tore through the first battalion of soldiers -- sadly, even on a crit, shortswords can't bypass that DR 15/silver they had in 3.0 -- I decided I had to start cheating back. I never used a pixie, though.

Toby Underfoot

First Post
Pixie-gibron

amethal said:

Oh wonderful. I will cast off these nasty trousers and get out my tutu and I too will be a fairy. Hooray. hooray for pixies. :D

And then there will be pixie-tortle, and pixie-witch, pixie-pussycat...and pixie-mental patient. And we can have tea and cakes and EVERYONE will be invited and it will be soooo much fun. Oh can we? Can we dearest Amethal? Oh please say yes. Please do! :\

RangerWickett said:
How's the game going? Any updates coming down the pipeline?
No session last week (due to DM absence).

I need to write up this week's session, but haven't had a chance yet. Hopefully I'll be able to do it tomorrow evening.

EDIT Better late than never. Heavy roleplaying sessions take me much longer to write up than fights, for some reason.

Last edited:

Next installment

Act Two – Seaquen
Scene 1 – Western Approaches
January 26th

The party emerges from the swamp into a rocky forest, and finds the road leading to Seaquen. There are a number of rowing boats abandoned on the side of the road, and an industrious group of workers are gathering them up and carrying them to the town. It appears that an enterprising half orc called Kor-Natheon is gathering them up in the hope of happier days to come, when the refugees are all going to want to go back to their homes.

Other workers are engaged in cutting down trees, with more enthusiasm than skill. Solsus’s expression darkens to see such destruction of nature, and he flies over to the nearest gang of lumberjacks.

“Why are you despoiling the forest in such a manner?” he asks.

The lumberjacks are extremely taken aback by the appearance of what they take to be a forest spirit. “We are taking the trees to build homes for the refugees,” one of them says at last.

“Very well,” says Solsus, mollified that they are using the trees for an acceptable purpose. “But have a care not to take more timber than you need.”

“Yes, your honour,” says the lumberjack.

The road leads through the refugee camps, and the need for more housing is obvious. Families are living in makeshift tents, and most are lacking even the most basic of amenities. The Ragesian Empire has a lot to answer for.

Once the party arrive at the town proper, it seems unremarkable. It is a collection of wooden and stone buildings, built around a harbour. The only place of interest is the walled compound of the Lyceum Academy, set on a hill to the north of the docks. After weeks of travelling, the town seems something of an anti-climax. As usual, it is raining.

The party discuss their options. They need to deliver the case to the resistance, whoever that might be. Caryk had been told by Torrent that her old mentor, a druid called Lee, would be a good place to start when they reach Seaquen. They should also probably contact the owner of the ship’s cargo, Vett, and let him know not to expect his animals.

Their discussion does not pass unnoticed. A skinny human with an engaging grin wanders up to them.

“Are you in need of the services of a guide, good gentlefolk?” he asks. “Judson is the name, and I know this place like the back of my hand. I can take you wherever you need to go.”

“How much do you charge?” asks Gribron.

“Only one gold piece per day. A real bargain.”

His sunny disposition wins over the party’s natural suspicion, and Judson is hired.

“Where would you like to go first, sirs and madams?”

Scene 2 – Harbour District
January 26th

The group decide that in fact they would like to dispose of some of the surplus equipment they have acquired on the course of their travels. Judson suggests the harbour district is the best place to do this. At this point Katrina, Caryk, Haddin and Crystin all take their leave, having various errands they need to do.

A large galleon, dominates the harbour. It is decorated with in ornate carvings, but somewhat blackened in appearance, as if damaged in a fire. Men are women are hard at work painting it in bright colours. “That is the vessel of the Wayfarers Theatre,” says their guide. “Apparently the Wayfarers have some ability to move their ship by magic, but the last time they tried it – just moving it a few yards to another berth in the harbour – it caught fire.”

Several members of the party nod at this. They have seen several examples on their travels of the fiery dangers of teleportation.

A group of Wayfarers has set up a booth on the shore, advertising their forthcoming production of “The Spectacular Trial of Toteth Topec.” They are also auditioning for would be actors. Judson says he has considered giving it a go, but the party are most definitely not interested.

Taking his duties as a guide seriously, Judson points out a darkly veiled shop called Tattoomancy. The shop is currently closed – it only opens after sunset. The elves who run it craft tattoos for their customers, and some of their tattoos have magical powers. Judson sighs as, once more, the party are not interested.

It appears weapons and armour are in demand in Seaquen, which is understandable given the current political climate. The party have little difficulty selling their goods to various local shopkeepers and, in view of their recent adventures, decide it would be prudent to invest some of their profits in healing potions.

Judson believes there is a priestess of Olladra, goddess of healing, working amongst the refugees. Apparently disease is rife in the camp.

Scene 3 – Refugee Camp
January 26th

When they arrive back at the refugee camp, they see a strange sight. A massive eagle, fully the size of a horse, with some kind of saddle on its back. Standing by the eagle is a tall, armoured half elf woman. She appears to be speaking to the creature. Her tunic is emblazoned with an eight pointed cross, which some of the party realise identifies her as a member of the Order of the Aquiline Cross.

The Order is dedicated to healing. Its members are famous for healing all who need it, regardless of race, creed or religion. This approach does not sit very well with most priests.

It was wiped out by a demon, but a young human called Entras found an abandoned chapel in Shahalesti and re-founded the order. It is said that its members have a miraculous ability to survive injury.

Intrigued, the party wander over to talk to her.

“Greetings,” says Jonathan, and introduces them all.

“Hello,” replies the half elf, and introduces herself as Laurabec and the giant eagle as Takasi.

“We are looking for the priestess of Olladra,” says Jonathan. “I understand she is one of the priests tending to this camp?”

“We have eight sets of priests tending to this camp,” replies Laurabec, “although in most cases I wouldn’t really call it tending.” She seems somewhat frustrated, and eager to discuss her problems with the party. “All the sects are seeking to establish themselves in the current turmoil, and they are pulling in eight different directions. I’ve been trying to keep them from each others’ throats, and promote the idea of harmony, but its an uphill struggle.

“My plan is to establish a single temple to represent all eight deities. I was thinking of maybe calling it the Temple of the Sovereign Host, or some such. It would expose the people to all eight deities, and foster the spirit of co-operation which is so sadly lacking at the moment.”

“We’d be happy to help with this,” says Ambar.

“Maybe an outside perspective would help,” says Laurabec. “None of them listen to me any more. I’d be grateful for any help you could give. Anyway, Clara, the priestess of Olladra is working out of that tent over there.”

Thanking her for her directions, the party head on over. There is a very large queue of refugees in front of the tent. The priestess, Clara, is doing what she can to tend to them. She has two novices assisting her, but they seem good for little more than cleaning and bandaging wounds.

Jonathan strides boldly to the front of the queue, and Clara gathers her breath to give him a tongue lashing for his rudeness. He gets in ahead of her. “My name is Jonathan Farrier. I am something of a healer, ma’am, and I wonder if I could be of some assistance.”

“All assistance is gratefully received in the name of Olladra,” replies the priestess with a tired smile. “Have you any skill at treating disease?”

She and Jonathan work hard on the never ending stream of patients. Clara is happy to sell a fellow healer the handful of healing potions she has in stock.

Eventually, he brings up the subject of the temple to the Sovereign Host. She is not impressed. “I serve Olladra. That is enough for me.”

“I have been speaking to Laurabec. She is a paladin of the Aqualine Cross. She feels it would help promote unity.”

“Don’t mention that order,” snaps Clara. “They are an affront to the gods.”

“Is there anything I could do to change your mind?” asks Jonathan.

“Hardly,” says Clara. Then she thinks for a second. “Such a venture is doomed to failure. All the priests here are far too proud of their own religions. However, I’ll make a deal with you. If you can get at least six of the other seven to sign up to this plan of Laurabec’s, then I will join as well.”

Jonathan takes his leave, and returns to the rest of the party, who have been in conversation with Laurabec.

“How did it go?” asks Laurabec.

“Not very well. I mentioned your name, but it didn’t seem to help,” replies Jonathan.

“No, it wouldn’t. The priests of Olladra, who as healers should be our closest allies, are often the ones who dislike the Order the most. I’m sorry, I should have told you that. As you can see, I’m no good at diplomacy and negotiation. I’m not very good at seeing things from the other person’s point of view.”

“Well, she did say she’d join if six of the others did. I’ll go and ask some more priests.”

Gribron snorts. “Looks like you haven’t learned anything from your rejection. We need to be a bit subtle about this. Find out some background information, and plan our strategy. What can you tell us about them, Laurabec?”

“Not a lot really,” she replies. “As I said, I’m not cut out for this. As well as Clara, there are three other groups of Ragesians. There’s also one sect each from Ostalin and Sindaire, a bunch of dwarves from a bit further north in Dassen, and the local Seaquen priests.”

“Right,” says Gribron. “Let’s start with the Ragesians. Who is nearest?”

“That would be the priests of Aureon, god of knowledge. Their camp is over in that direction, but I don’t know much about them.”

“We’ll soon fix that,” replies Gribron. “Let’s split up, and see what we can find out.”

A few hours later, they return and compare notes.

The high priest is called Theodore, and he loves to hear stories.

Rumour has it that he abandoned several of his companions on the road, but when he lost a book he went back for it. The book is a discourse called “The Path of Light”. Jonathan recalls reading a synopsis of the book once, and can remember several of the book’s key arguments.

None of the party claim to be particularly good at telling stories, but Judson grins and says, “As well as being a guide, I sometimes make a few silvers as a story teller in the taverns. I’m sure I could spin a few yarns to impress this Theodore guy. I don’t know anything about this Path of Light stuff though.”

“Is there any way we could get our hands on this book,” asks Agatha. “Maybe steal it from him?”

“No need for that,” says Judson. “If its such a famous book, the library in the Lyceum is bound to have a copy. Of course, I ain’t a member.”

“The Vett guy is a lecturer at the Lyceum,” says Solsus. “We were going to see him anyway, so I suppose now’s as good a time as any.”

Scene 4 – Lyceum
January 26th

The lecturers at the Lyceum live off campus, but close by. Judson doesn’t know Vett’s exact address, but finds out easily enough by asking the first student he sees.

Banahman Vett turns out to be a pale half elf. His cottage is comfortably appointed, but is overrun with animals. His pride and joy is his pet python, which Ambar turns down the opportunity to stroke.

Solsus introduces the party, and hands over the manifest from the Milsoven. “I’m sorry to tell you that the ship ran aground and all your animals died except for the attercops. They unfortunately escaped and we had to put them down when we arrived on the scene.”

Vett is disappointed by his news, but seems resigned. “I guessed something had happened; the ship should have arrived by now. Its just as well you got there when you did. Thirteen attercops running wild in the swamp could have played havoc with the local wildlife.”

Jonathan and Solsus look at each other. “Actually,” says Jonathan, “we only killed twelve.”

“Oh,” says Vett. “Still, a lone male is not a problem. All the attercops I ordered were male, just in case there were any accidents. Fascinating species. The males run down their prey and inject them with a paralysing venom and bring back to the nest. The females are bigger, and have silk glands which they use to immobilise the prey the males bring them. The eggs are then injected into the helpless victims, and hatch a few weeks later, killing the host.”

The party looks at each other in alarm. “We did find some sailors bound up in silk,” says Solsus.

“I see,” says Vett. “Where are these sailors now?”

“We sent them back to Vidor!” says Solsus. “Is there any way of removing the eggs?”

“A skilled surgeon, or powerful magical healing,” says Vett.

“We’d better head off back through the swamp then,” says Solsus. “Let’s go back and see Laurabec. She is a member of a healing Order, she should be able to come with us and treat the sailors.”

“You can’t leave tonight,” says Vett. “You won’t get very far into the swamp before dark. I appreciate you dealing with my attercops. Do you have anywhere to stay, or can I offer you the hospitality of my cottage for as long as you are in Seaquen?”

“That would be great”, says Gribron.

“It’s the least I can do. I wish I could do more, but times are hard at the moment. Is there any other way I may be able to help you?”

“Actually,” says Jonathan, “there is a book we are trying to track down, called “The Path of Light.”. Would it be possible to obtain it from the Lyceum library?”

Vett nods, and heads to his front door. He pokes his head out, and shouts at the nearest passing student. The lad comes over, and Vett sends him off on the errand.

Jonathan agrees to go through the book with Judson when it arrives, to coach him on his arguments with the priest Theodore the next day. Meanwhile, Solsus flies off in search of Laurabec, to ask her to accompany them on their expedition through the swamp the next day. He returns shortly afterwards.

“Did she agree to come with us?” asks Agatha.

“Not exactly. She thanked me for letting her know, climbed on to that eagle of hers, and swept off towards Vidor. I guess she’ll be handling it on her own.”

“Good,” says Gribron. “I could do without another trip through that swamp.”

Scene 5 – Refugee Camp
January 27th

The next day Judson, thoroughly briefed by Jonathan, makes a big impression on Theodore. The elderly cleric enjoys his story telling, and is very impressed with his logical and well thought out arguments.

“You make an excellent case, young man,” says Theodore. “You may count upon the assistance of the servants of Aureon. Knowledge is the key to a project such as this, so it is only fitting that Aureon should be the first deity represented in the new temple to the Sovereign Host.”

Next on the list are the followers of Dol Dorn. Once again the party split up to find out as much as they can. It appears that the leader of the group is not actually a cleric; instead it is a barbarian woman called Sonja. She reveres strength and is full of pride. It appears she will take offence unless she is either the first or the last leader approached.

“It’s a bit late to ask her first,” says Gribron, “so she’ll have to be last. Who’s next?”

Next on the list are the Dasseni dwarves. They revere Onatar, god of the forge, and feel most comfortable dealing with dwarves. They would look favourably on visitors who bring along a goat for them to sacrifice and perform an augury.

“No way,” says Solsus. “Sacrificing animals to predict the future is an offence against nature.”

They are very keen on lineage and like their visitors to recite their lineage back to at least three generations.

“That might be a problem,” says Jonathan dryly. His lineage is measured in months.

“Three generations?” says Solsus. “But that’s thousands of years!”

“I don’t think they mean pixie generations,” says Gribron. For some reason, he seems less than keen to identify his own ancestors. “What we need is a dwarf. Solsus, you changed into an elf in the Fire Forest. Can you do dwarves?”

“Yes,” says Solsus, “but not for long. I think getting caught pretending to be a dwarf wouldn’t go down very well.”

“I suppose not.” Gribron glances around the camp, and spots a muscular dwarf wandering past the party. “Hey, sir dwarf,” he says, “I wonder if you could do us a favour …”

The dwarf, whose name is Drolin, is eventually persuaded to negotiate on behalf of the party with the priests of Onatar. He is also more than capable of reciting his lineage back as many generations as required.

Unfortunately, he is hopeless negotiator. The party parts on good terms with the dwarves, but the best they can achieve is a promise to join the temple if everyone else does.

The next target is the druids who follow Balinor, god of beasts. The party discover that they like travel stories and cats, and arrange an invitation to join them for their evening meal.

It is not clear whether Ambar qualifies as a cat or not. The head druid, a man who has taken the name Balin, doesn’t quite know what to make of her. It is time to try the travel stories. Solsus, being a fellow druid, acts as the party’s spokes-sprite.

“Have you travelled far to get here?” asks Balin.

“Oh yes,” says Solsus. “And we have had many adventures. Are you familiar with the Fire Forest?”

“But of course,” says Balin. “Its one of the wonders of the age, and also forms a miraculous barrier between the evil forces of Ragesia and the tempting prize of Gate Pass.”

“On second thought,” says Solsus, “let me tell you a tale of sea voyages and the terrors of the Sour Lake Swamp ….”

Balin is delighted with Solsus’s tales, although Gribron feels rather too much emphasis was been placed on certain minor errors he himself might have made in the course of the journey. The druids are eager to assist with the temple project, and the party head back to Vett’s in high spirits.

Scene 6 – Refugee Camp
January 28th

The party decides to tackle the Ostaliners next. They are a band of mercenaries, but have little love for the Ragesian Empire. The party’s researches have uncovered that they are led by Arick, a priest of Dol Arrah, god of battle. He is a human hippogriff rider, but otherwise little is known of him.

Once more Solsus does the talking, and he is able to have a long conversation with Arick about aerial combat which leaves the rest of the party thoroughly bored. When Solsus proposes that Arick joins the temple project, the priest is undecided.

“Of course, the temple would be in a defensible site,” says Solsus. “On a hill, for instance. If you joined the project, we would be grateful for your expertise in choosing the best position.”

“You seem pleasant enough people,” says Arick, “but I have not tested your mettle. Would one of you care to spar with me?”

Ambar, suffering near terminal boredom, is happy to oblige him. The mercenaries have marked out a training ring, and Ambar and Arick face each other at opposite ends.

One of the mercenaries gives the signal to begin, and both combatants spring into action. Arick is fast, but no match for Ambar’s lightning reflexes. The sword of Anyariel strikes the first blow. Arick quickly counters with his mace, which comes within a whisker of striking Ambar in the face. She just manages to dance out of the way on time, and instead takes a heavy blow to the chest.

Unperturbed, Ambar once more strikes home with her longsword. She easily avoids Arick’s response; possibly he has eased off slightly after coming so close to doing her a serious injury with his first blow. Ambar catches him again, and once more his blow goes wide.

Arick raises his mace in salute, and concedes the duel. “Very well fought,” he says. “There’s clearly nothing wrong with your mettle.” He speaks words of power, and Ambar’s bruises heal. He then turns his attentions on his own wounds, which magically close up.

“I would be honoured to join your project,” says Arick.

After lunching with the Ostaliners, the party head for the temple of the Devourer. Unlike the recently erected tents of the other faiths, this is a stone temple built many years ago by Seaquen’s fishermen to appease the dark god of the seas.

“Naturally, the temple would be built by the sea,” sys Gribron. Hopefully there are some hills by the sea, he thinks to himself, mindful of the previous promise to the followers of Dol Arrah.

“Would it be situated by the south harbour,” asks the high priest, “thus not requiring all the foreign refugees to enter the town itself?”

“But of course,” replies Gribron smoothly. There have to be some hills in the south, surely.

“And are you a man of the sea yourself?”

“Why, yes I am,” lies Gribron, born and bred in the land-locked city of Ragos. “However, my people’s methods are somewhat different to what you may be used to.”

He makes a few arcane gestures with his hands, and out to sea a ghostly net appears, hovering above the waves. A few seconds later, fish start jumping out of the sea to land soundlessly in the net.

“But I would not want to intrude upon your fishing grounds,” says Gribron, and the net disappears. The fish are returned to the water with a silent splash.

They fisherfolk are very impressed, and the followers of the Devourer sign up to the temple project.

Next are the Sindairese, followers of the secretive god of sorcery known only as the Shadow. The Sindairese are a whiny bunch, full of the woes of exile – even though everybody else in the camp is also an exile.

Ambar happens to know that in Sindaire it is considered good luck to have a bear present at any negotiations.

“I can ask the druids if they know of any bears,” says Solsus. “Would we have to give them the bear as a gift?”

“Give them a bear? Of course not, that would be silly,” says Ambar. “Apparently they like it if a bear is there. We can take it away again afterwards.”

Solsus heads over to the druids’ camp. Balin is pleased to see him, and it turns out that he has a bear as a companion. The bear is currently in the woods, presumably feasting on incautious lumberjacks, but Balin is able to retrieve him.

Appropriately, it is twilight when the party, plus Balin and his bear, head over to the Sindairese camp. The high priest is called Vencer, and he is delighted to see the bear. He is also pleased to be in the company of Gribron and Ambar, two arcane spellcasters.

Gribron does the talking, and manages to mention the terrible plight of the Sindairese exiles in every second sentence. Vencer is very impressed by the party, and pledges his support to the temple project.

Continued

Scene 7 – Refugee Camp
January 29th

The next morning, it is time to speak to Sonja, leader of the followers of Dol Dorn. The party impress on her their respect for her strength, and that they have come to see her last as they too wished to be in a position of strength before negotiating with such a powerful warrior.

She appreciates the gesture and, as the position is currently five in favour and two against, she follows the position of strength and throws her lot in with the temple project.

With six in favour, the party are able to use this to convince Clara and the dwarves to join as well, making it unanimous. The Temple of the Sovereign Host is a reality – or will be as soon as workers can be found to actually build it.

It is at this point that the party decide they really ought to do something about the case they have carried from Gate Pass, and resolve to see Lee, the druid.

Scene 8 – North Harbour
January 29th

Judson knows that Lee lives somewhere in North Harbour, and it is easy enough to obtain directions to the druid’s distinctive lair. On the way he tells the party what little he knows about the druid. Apparently he has an affinity for water – which should be useful, since its still raining – and has close links with the local sailors. He has a squid as a companion.

Lee turns out to live on a small rock, not really worthy of the name island, just off the north coast. A rickety wooden boardwalk connects the rock with the mainland. The party head cautiously across the boards, and are faced with heading down to a soggy dock area, or heading up to a cavern entrance. They decide to head up.

The cavern contains some crude wooden furniture, and a bell. Jonathan rings the bell, and after a short while a man appears. He is bald, tanned and muscular, and is dressed as a fisherman. Somehow he gives the impression of great power barely contained, like a dam ready to burst.

He examines the party carefully. “You must be the friends of Torrent I’ve been told to expect. I’m Lee. Please bear with me a moment. I have some other guests, who are just leaving.”

Lee disappears, to emerge a few minutes later with three others. Two of them are half orcs; one is armed and equipped as a warrior, the other is wearing wizard’s robes.

However, it is the third figure which captures the party’s attention. Nominally human, his body is adorned with numerous unnatural protrusions and alterations. His cheeks have teeth growing out of them. His arms have tentacles attached to them. His left hand has a half formed eye growing out of it that glows occasionally.

(Later, Judson identifies him as Paradim Dogwood, an Ostaliner who runs a shop at the South Harbour called the Body Shop. He styles himself a biomancer, and sells all kinds of bodily alterations. He takes pride in the fact that he himself is a walking advertisement for his art.)

“Any friends of Torrent are friends of mine,” says Lee once his guests have left. “What can I do for you?”

“We have brought a certain item down from Gate Pass,” says Solsus, careful not to give too many details. “It is of interest to the Resistance, but we are not sure who to deliver it to.”

Lee says nothing for a minute or so, as he weighs up various alternatives in his mind. Eventually he reaches a decision. “The best person would be Simeon, head of the Lyceum. He’s part of the resistance, and the de facto leader of Seaquen. I hesitate to suggest him because he has a great deal on his plate at the moment, but needs must; you will have to add to his troubles.

“I will write you a letter of introduction.”

The party wait for Lee to write the letter, thank him for his help, and leave.

They are heading for the Lyceum when they spot a crowd has gathered around a badly burnt building. They hear mutterings from the crowd. “Another burning”, “damned refugees”, “never had these fires till they came”, “who else could it be?”

The party head over. The building was of wooden construction, and has been pretty much burned to the ground. They shove their way through the angry crowd, and investigate the scene. Jonathan finds tiny tracks, possibly of rats, heading away from the building. Solsus confirms they look like rat tracks, but they both lack the skill to track creatures through a city.

“I can find you a tracker,” says Judson. He returns soon afterwards with a grizzled woodsman, who seems somewhat amused at the prospect of tracking rats across a town. The trail leads past some more burnt buildings and ends at a sturdy, brick built house.

Jonathan knocks on the door, which is eventually opened by a middle aged human woman. “Can I help you?” she asks.

“Do you know anything about rats?” asks Jonathan.

“Its about time!” declares the woman. “We’ve complained and complained to the council, and nothing has been done. Our cellar is overrun with rats. Nasty, vicious creatures. What are you going to do about them?”

The party get the woman to lead them to the cellar. She throws open the trap door, and they peer inside. Keen eyes Solsus can see best in the gloom. The cellar floor is indeed awash with rats. They are entering and leaving via holes in the walls. However, what everyone notices is that the rats’ teeth are giving off fiery sparks.

Solsus and Jonathan confer. There are tales of fiery monsters from Fernia, the Sea of Fire, which sometimes find their way into the world to wreak havoc. However, these creatures are reputed to consist largely of living flame, which is far more impressive than a few sparks.

Meanwhile, Agatha has identified that the rats are confined largely to the floor of the cellar. She amuses herself by hurling bolts of eldritch energy at them. Many of them are slain; the few survivors disappear into their holes.

The party decide to head back to their lodgings at Vett’s. Maybe the wizard can shed some light on the mystery.

On the way, Jonathan notices that a member of the town watch was staring at them in an unusual way. He points this out to the others. Once they round a corner, Solsus disappears from sight and heads back to the guard to see if there is a clue to his strange behaviour. He notices that the guard is heading after the party, a puzzled expression on his face. He reports back to the others, who decide to confront the man.

The guard turns the corner, and finds himself face to face with those he was following. He gives a start.

“Can we help you?” asks Gribron.

“No, I mean yes, I mean maybe,” says the guard. “What I mean is, I think someone is looking for you. A woman gave me your description, asked me to keep an eye out. Jess, her name was. She was really nice.”

The party thank the guard, and decide to do a bit of information gathering. It turns out that a number of people had been asked by “that nice woman Jess” to watch out for the party. Jess is apparently staying with the Auyang family, a group of wealthy merchants. Gribron gets the impression there is something odd about some of their informants, but he can’t put his finger on it.

Deciding it’s a problem for another day, they carry on to Vett’s house.

Scene 9 – Lyceum
January 29th

Vett is entertained by their tales of strange fires, and rats who generate sparks, but at first he can spread no light on the mystery.

“Could it be the result of some concentration of magic?” asks Solsus. “Fire magic, for instance?”

The wizard thinks for a moment. “Now you come to mention it, there are ancient tales of a wizard known as Pyromancer. He came to Seaquen, apparently because of a link to the Sea of Fire. He died here, and according to legend his tomb was built on that rift.

“Nobody knows where his tomb is supposed to lie. I suppose if the rift did exist, it might be possible for rats living there to take on some fiery qualities. It would take a long time, and there have been no stories of such rats before.”

“So maybe there’s been some activity in the tomb, which has driven out the rats?” suggests Solsus.

“Its possible,” says Vett, “but I can’t think who or what would be digging around in the Pyromancer’s tomb after all these years.”

Last edited:

Wow, that seemed to go over better than I would have hoped. I mean, admittedly it is reminiscent of EverQuest-esque mini-quests, but I hope it gave the players a good sense of the nature of the city.

Thanks again for posting these.

January 30th

It is raining again.

Our heroes head to the Lyceum to see Simeon, the magic college’s headmaster. He is a busy man, as he’s the de facto leader of the town during the current crisis, but the heroes have the letter of introduction from Lee the druid and are able to get an appointment to see him.

When they arrive, a familiar figure is just leaving his office. Its Katrina, the fire mage they rescued from the swamp. She smiles at them, and says to Simeon, “These are the guys I was talking about. They are very good at troubleshooting. If you get any problems, you would be well advised to call upon their expertise.”

“I see you know Katrina,” says Simeon. “She’s becoming something of a local celebrity, due to her successes in the spell duel competitions. Are any of you interested in competing?”

The party decide that they aren’t, and bring out the case and explain its provenance.

Simeon is intrigued by the case, and confirms it is heavily warded. He calls upon the assistance of his deputy, a dwarf called Kiernan who specialised in defensive magic. Between the two of them, they are able to get the case open safely, and its contents are revealed to be a sturdy, leather bound notebook.

“It appears to be written in the infernal tongue used by the devils of Shavarath,” says Simeon. “I can normally read such writing, but it appears to be in code. It’s going to require some powerful divination magic to find out more. Fortunately that is my speciality, but it might take an hour or so.”

“We’d like to find out the contents of the case,” says Solsus. “Would you mind if we came back in an hour, when you are done?”

“No problem,” says Simeon. “Feel free to wander around the campus while you wait.”

“I am interested in magical healing,” says Jonathan. “Do you know of anyone who might have such items for sale?”

“The college professors are a pretty eccentric bunch, myself included,” says Simeon. “Some of us make magical tools from time to time to aid in our scholarly pursuits, but I’m not sure we’d have anything that was much use for a party of adventurers such as yourselves. I think your best bet for healing would be to visit Ogoth Who-Wears-No-Mask, one of our consultant lecturers.”

Ogoth turns out to be an orc. As advertised, he isn’t wearing a mask. He is somewhat surprised to see the party. Jonathan’s staff catches his eye, topped as it is by the skull of the unknown orc inquisitor they killed at Haddin’s farm.

“What’s that skull on your staff?” he asks gruffly.

“It’s a symbol of my healing order,” replies Jonathan. “We all carry them to show we are healers.”

“Where did you get it?”

“I bought it in a curio shop,” says Jonathan glibly. “I was wondering if you had any healing items I could buy to magically augment my own healing skills.”

He inspects Ogoth’s wares, and eventually purchases a magical belt. The rest of the group also pick up a few magical trinkets. Then they return to Simeon’s office.

“I have used various spells,” says Simeon, “but with mixed results. “The information in this notebook is very well protected, which perhaps explains why the security in place to prevent its physical theft was so lax.

“The author is Kreven, second in command of the Inquisitors. I know a fair bit about them, because Ogoth used to be a member.”

Jonathan is glad he didn’t reveal the true provenance of the skull on his staff.

“The contents were read and approved by another person, who has thus far been completely immune to my best attempts to divine anything about them. From this I conclude that it was most probably Leska herself, the head of the Inquisitors.

“It concerns the Scourge, the Ragesians’ attempt to capture ‘disloyal’ spell casters. As you know, we in Seaquen are completely opposed to the Scourge, which has given rise to our current refugee problems. However, I get the feeling that the term also means something else. Have you come across any such different meaning in your travels?”

The party shake their heads.

“Also, I have come across references to legends of something called a Trillith. I am not familiar with the term.”

Solsus thinks for a moment. “While we were travelling through the Fire Forest we found it was somehow possessed by a creature which might have been called ‘a child of Trilla’. We met a unicorn which had heard that term in its dreams.”

“I had an idea that Trilla is the name of a dragon,” says Jonathan, “but I can’t recall any more details.”

“Right, I’d like to keep the case, if I may,” says Simeon, “and see if I can find out any further information. I will be having a council meeting in a few days, and I’d like you all to attend. I have a feeling there’s a mission coming up which is suited to your talents. I’ll let you know the exact date once I’ve checked with the other attendees.”

That’s fine with the party, who are pleased to be shot of the case. They have finally completed the mission given to them by Torrent, and are now at something of a loose end until the council meeting. However, there is one mystery they haven’t yet followed up.

“I think we should check out that lady who was looking for us,” says Agatha. “her name was Jess, and she was staying with some merchant family or other.”

“The Auyangs,” says Ambar. “Let’s see what she wants.”

Scene 10 – Auyang Residence and elsewhere
January 30th

The Auyang residence is easy enough for Judson, the party’s guide, to find. It is a moderately large house, set in its own grounds in the better part of town. A quick visit to the neighbours does not reveal any obvious skeletons in the family cupboard. The Auyangs are respectable merchants, and their houseguest Jess is “a very nice lady”.

Solsus turns invisible and flies around the house looking in windows. Excluding the servants, there are three women in residence. Tow of them appear to be mother and daughter, whilst the third is young and blonde haired, matching the vague descriptions they have had of Jess.

For the want of a better plan, the Solsus hangs back in the garden whilst the rest of the party knocks on the front door. It is opened by a middle aged servant woman with a sour expression.

“Can I help you?”

“We are here to see Jess,” says Jonathan. “I understand she has been looking for us.”

The woman’s expression softens at the mention of Jess, and she looks at the party carefully for the first time. “Of course,” she says. “Please come into the parlour and I will tell her you are here. I would ask you to leave your weapons in the hallway.”

After the party have divested themselves of their more obvious weapons, the servant shows them into the parlour. It is clearly a room designed for visitors, and contains those ornaments, furniture and decorations which the house owners like least. The maid heads upstairs to get Jess.

Gribron moves over to the window, to let in Solsus. The window is actually locked, but that poses no problem for Gribron the Sneaky. Solsus flies in and perches in a corner.

The maid returns with a blonde haired woman. The maid looks at the unlocked window in puzzlement. “I’m sure I locked that,” she says to herself, then recovers and says, “the lady Jess.”

“Thank you Maggie,” says Jess, and the maid leaves.

Jess is a young, short, pretty, blonde haired woman, dressed as a minor noble. “I am pleased to see the four of you,” she says in a melodious voice, with possibly a slight emphasis on the word four. “Are Caryk and Solsus not with you?”

“They are engaged about their own affairs,” says Jonathan. “We are at a disadvantage, madam. You seem to know us, but I do not believe we know you.”

“My name is Jess, “ says Jess, “and for the purposes of our business that is all you need to know. I seek to recover a certain case, and its contents, which I believe you are in possession of.”

“We don’t have it with us,” says Gribron, “but we can get it. How much are you offering for it?”

“The case is not yours,” says Jess. “It belongs to my employers, who are not very forgiving people. However, if you co-operate now and return it to me they will overlook your transgressions to date.”

“We have no proof it’s yours either,” says Gribron. “There’s no way we are letting you have it for free.”

“Very well,” says Jess. “My employers have given me a certain store of funds with which to pay incidental expenses. I will add you to the list. I can offer you one thousand pieces of gold in return for the case.”

“Make that two thousand, and you have a deal,” says Gribron.

“Two thousand it is, and it is up to you whether or not you choose to split the money with your absent colleagues. However, there remain other elements of the deal to agree. I do so despise those who try and rely on the spirit of an agreement, don’t you? This will need to be spelt out to the letter.”

After a fair amount of negotiation, it is agreed that the party will return the following morning with the case and its contents and receive the gold. The party claim not have opened the case or seen the contents, so cannot be held responsible if they are not what is expected, but Jess reserves the right to void the agreement if they have clearly acted in bad faith on this point. Neither side will try any violence or aggressive acts.

“Phew,” says Gribron after the party have left. “She loves attention to detail. That reminded me a bit of negotiating in the Fire Forest with that devil. There might be a clue there as to what we are dealing with ….”

The party head back to the Lyceum, and explain the situation to Simeon. Unfortunately, he does not have any books written in code in infernal which they can use as a substitute. He can, however supply them with an authentic looking blank notebook. Jonathan spends the next ten hours writing convincing looking gibberish in infernal. The book is then put back in the case, and Simeon and Kiernan ward the case with their most impressive-looking spells.

“Are you sure you don’t need any help in dealing with this Jess woman?” asks Simeon.

“No,” replies Solsus, “but it would be helpful if you had someone who could follow her to see where she went. I’m not completely convinced she is unable to see me when I am invisible. Perhaps we could ask Lee, the druid?”

“Good idea,” says Simeon. “He’s able to take the form of an animal, and could follow her without being spotted. I’ll arrange for him to be there when you hand over the case. With any luck, she’ll lead us to the rest of the Ragesian agents in Seaquen.”

January 31st

It is raining. It has rained every day since the party left the boat at Vidor.

The party return to the Auyang residence. The maid, Maggie, lets them into the parlour. Again, they have to leave their weapons in the hall, and again Gribron lets Solsus in through the window once the maid has left to get Jess.

Neither side trusts the other, but the exchange is carried out smoothly. The party leaves the house, and Solsus spots a bedraggled looking osprey perched on the roof of a nearby building.

“I know he’s a druid with an affinity for water and the sea,” thinks Solsus, “but he could have chosen something a bit less conspicuous. I hope Jess doesn’t know that ospreys don’t live in towns.”

Our heroes amuse themselves in town for the rest of the day, and receive a message in the evening to see Simeon at the Lyceum.

“Lee has reported back to me,” says Simeon once they get there. “He’d be here himself, but apparently he needs to go for a swim after all that flying.

“Surprisingly, Jess headed out of town with the case. Into the swamp, in fact. Lee followed her for a number of miles, and then she stopped and started exploring the area she was in. Seemed like a perfectly random bit of swamp to Lee. Anyway, once she was satisfied she knew the area she vanished in a ball of flame. Teleported away, by the looks of it. If she doesn’t have some kind of protection from heat she’ll have arrived at the other end extremely the worse for wear.

“If you ask me, she was scouting the area in case she needed to teleport back in the future. It helps her if she knows where she is going, and this way we don’t have any one particular spot we can guard.

“What is puzzling me is, if she is able to teleport then why bother going out to the swamp to do so?”

“I suppose it would be an inconspicuous place to do it from,” says Solsus.

“Not as inconspicuous as from her room,” says Gribron. “And if for some reason she preferred to pretend to leave town in the normal way, why go so far into the swamp? A few hundred yards would have been secluded enough.”

“There’s some factor here we don’t know about,” says Simeon.

The party go to bed. In view of recent developments, they have decided to set up watches. Agatha is on watch when there is a knock on the door of Vett’s house.

“Its always when I’m on watch,” she says to herself, and then kicks the others until they wake up. The knocking continues, but she doesn’t open the door until the group are somewhat prepared. After all, its not they who are having the emergency.

Outside is a teenage boy, carrying a lantern. Unsurprisingly, it is raining, and he is wet.

He is not very coherent. “The warehouse. Trouble at the warehouse. You have to come to the warehouse.” He is unable or unwilling to give any more information, and the party can either follow him or go back to bed.

Heroes that they are, they head out into the night.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads