• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warblade/Crusader

rawgt3

First Post
I was thinking of making a warblade char. but I wanted access to Devoted Spirit and I also like the Crusader abilities better. Heres the concept I'm going for: He fights with an aggressive darting style but when he finds himself in a pinch he uses a combination of stubborn willpower, selfless devotion,and heedless fury to acomplish supernatural feats and ignore damage. He will wear light armor and multi-class as ranger. Basically I said all that to ask if it would be unbalancing to give warblades devoted spirit or give cruaders Iron Heart and Tiger Claw in exchange for Heavy Armor Pro. and stone dragon.
TY in adv.
Rawion dil Pagiel,vana firiel nino olor

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Heavy Armor proficiency isn't worth nearly enough as a class discipline, especially when you can just get mithral fullplate anyway. It'd help if you specified which Crusader class features you like. If it's the damage pool and furious counterstrike...that may be a bit much to give someone else, and it's their main class feature (beyond maneuvers). Maye if the trade ensured the other class had no access to Stone Dragon, so you at least can't use Stone Power too easily with the pool.

Ok, let's try some variants...

For Warblade: Add Devoted Spirit and the Mettle class feature (at appropriate level), Remove Diamond Mind and one other discipline (from your preferences, I guess White Raven or Stone Dragon). This might not be enough. Some think the healing of the DS discipline is countered by the unreliable nature of the Crusader's recovery mechanic (you might not have healing available when you need it).

For Crusader: Class disciplines are IH, TC, and DS. Lose the damage pool, furious counterstrike, and...hmm...it's really hard to balance this. You're basically cherry picking your favorite disciplines and ending up with the same amount. You'd need to lose more, I'm not sure what. Medium and Heavy Armor, whatever shields Crusader gets, and martial ranged weapons (which Warblades don't get, I think) would be a start...

rawgt3

First Post
This is probably to much, like you said, but I'll throw it out there. I like the
Furious counterstrike, Indomitable soul, Steely Resolve and Smite. Maybe I could go with Crusader but drop armor and shields in exchange for hand picked disciplines and maybe more maneuvers or bonus feat(s). :/
Thanks,
Rawion

Arkhandus

First Post
A few proficiencies aren't worth much. You'd have to ditch a lot more to deserve giving the Crusader, most overpowered of the martial adepts, even more goodies than what it already gets. Lower the hit die and skill points. Ditch Mettle and Die Hard.

Then I suppose you could give them the Warblade's bonus feats and weapon training thingamajig, some different/extra disciplines, and some more maneuvers/stances over time. Maybe 5-10 more maneuvers known over time and 1-3 more stances over time.

rawgt3

First Post
I really don't need the bonus feats or extra disciplines though. So no need to go that far. Perhaps we could ditch mettle and diehard for more manuvers and/or class skills.(maybe tumble and sense motive)
Thanks,
Rawion

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Well, the more i think about it...it may be possible with just a discipline swap as crusader. IMO, DS, DM, and WR are all in the "top tier" if you will for most powerful disciplines. Thus, swapping out WR for either IH or TC may actually be ok. SD on the other hand is pretty weak (again, IMO) and is fairly painlessly dropped for any other discipline and might need more sacrifice. Of course, losing SD for a Crusader means losing the ability to abuse the damage pool with Stone Power (well, it makes it harder) and enjoy Furious Counterstike benefits as you do so.

I'm really not sure. Ultimately, what matters most is if the combination of the new disciplines is any more broken than what a standard Crusader could do.

Asurya

First Post
if you want to go Ranger, I feel I must point out the ToB version of it then!
it's not mine, I got it from WotC forums.
enjoy.
=A=

Attachments

• Ranger(SublimeWay)_byRacialTaoist.rtf
    6.8 KB · Views: 96

rawgt3

First Post
Hmm. I had'nt seen that ranger before.I was just going to use the alt. I found somewhere in homebrews. I can't find it now but it had terrain mastery instead of favored enemies among other changes. Also even though I can't abuse stone power with this build I can abuse the steely stance by provoking attacks of oppertunity.Do I here IH crus./scout anyone? :D
Thanks,
Rawion

Remove ads