• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warblade: Where do I go from here?

VeitHolderhek

First Post
This is my very first character ever. Before this Warblade, I had never read a D&D book in my life. And so I come to you, EN World, for advice on building him.

Here's my stats:

6th Level Dwarf, Chaotic/Good, 4'6, 265lbs.
20 STR (+2 from gauntlets)
12 DEX
16 CON
14 INT
11 WIS
11 CHA
50 max HP

+6/+2 base attack bonus
Maul: +14/+9 1d10 X3crit
Glaive: +14/+9 1d8 X3crit

Speed: 20ft
Initiative +5

Fortitude: 7
Reflex: 3
Will: 2

AC: 21 (full plate)
Touch AC: 19
Flat-Footed AC: N/A

Feats and abilities:
Martial Study
Adaptive Style
Critical Confirmation
Dodge
Uncanny Dodge
Improved Uncanny Dodge
Improved Initiative
Clarion Commander (DM's Discretion, my character has been nothing but a natural leader in the campaign so he granted this to me without prerequisites.)

Skills:
Bluff +4
Concentration +8
Diplomacy +4
Intimidate +8
Jump +8
Knowledge (local) +4
Knowledge (Martial) +4

Maneuvers:
Action Before Thought
Emerald Razor
Disrupting Blow
Disarming Strike
Exorcism of Steel
Claw At The Moon

Stances:
Stonefoot Stance
Bolstering Voice

Stuff: +2 Full Plate
Satchel: 5 Throwing Axes
Signal Whistle
Waterskin
1657g 31s 71c (We were divided up into three groups of two and given 10 platinum pieces per group. Most of mine went to a companion, a 5th level human paladin, for his equipment, that's what's left over.)

Alright. Now for the questions.

I kinda messed up on the maneuvers, I think I shouldn't have taken so many Diamond Mind maneuvers and taken something else like Death From Above, but I think I know what I want for my 7th level maneuver: Iron Heart's Lightning Throw, because throwing a maul would be beastly. The only problem is Lightning Throw is an 8th level maneuver. Any suggestions on an equally beastly move? Would I be able to just put off getting another maneuver until level 8?

It's not like this character is nerfed because of the lack of many damage based maneuvers, he took out a Hill Giant 95% on his own in 5 turns thanks to a +4 AC racial, Action Before Thought, Claw At The Moon, and a little planning from a throwing axe and chain. (Ever seen Star Wars episode 5?) But would a maneuver change be legal? If so, at what level? How would I ask the DM to let me do that if it's not legal?

The intent is for him to shoot for Master of the Nine. Is he a good character so far? Do I have to take maneuvers from every school to reach Master of the Nine? I only have 13 maneuvers to throw around, so what's the best school to delve deep into?

Shin Ji

First Post
Why did you take Martial Study? That's useless if you are already a martial adept, unless you must have some maneuver from a prohibited school or something.

That said, dip Barbarian. Barbarian is excellent in any melee build. You want to get Power Throw or Bloodstorm whatever (the PrC in Bo9S) to make your ranged attacks hit. Taking a level or two of ranger will give good skills and +2 damage against any arcane spellcaster, so that might be worth it.

VeitHolderhek

First Post
Shin Ji said:
Why did you take Martial Study? That's useless if you are already a martial adept, unless you must have some maneuver from a prohibited school or something.

Funny. I just copied Martial Study down in the post not really paying attention to it. I didn't write that down on my character sheet, and it's in my friend's handwriting. I'm glad you pointed that out, Shin Ji. I'm going to pimp slap him now, seeing as I've only taken from 5 schools, all of which I'm allowed to do. Perhaps I'll be able to switch it with Cleave or something?

Shin Ji said:
That said, dip Barbarian. Barbarian is excellent in any melee build. You want to get Power Throw or Bloodstorm whatever (the PrC in Bo9S) to make your ranged attacks hit. Taking a level or two of ranger will give good skills and +2 damage against any arcane spellcaster, so that might be worth it.

I don't use ranged attacks, though. The only ranged weapon I have are throwing axes, and those aren't for damage-dealing. The Lightning Throw maneuver I mentioned before rolls as a melee attack, so I don't need it for that.

Gloombunny

First Post
I think you've got a misunderstanding about maneuver levels. They don't correspond to character levels. You need to be character level 15 to take an 8th level maneuver. (Yeah, it's confusing, and somebody should really have looked in a thesaurus before writing this stuff.)

cheshire_grin

First Post
Gloombunny said:
I think you've got a misunderstanding about maneuver levels. They don't correspond to character levels. You need to be character level 15 to take an 8th level maneuver. (Yeah, it's confusing, and somebody should really have looked in a thesaurus before writing this stuff.)
They're not any more confusing than spell levels vs. character levels, so there's plenty of precedent.

(Although it would have been nice if they'd just put "Required Initiator Level: 15" instead of "Maneuver Level: 8", the idea is hardly foreign to D&D, is all I'm saying.)

VeitHolderhek

First Post
blargney the second said:
How'd you get heavy armor proficiency?

A 20 on armor check? I was unaware that there was a proficiency for this... I hate it when your DM has ADD. He literally said "Roll for armor" and I hit a 20 for +2 Full Plate.

Gloombunny said:

Just realized this today after reading up on it (Before coming here, coincidentally). I really messed up on character creation, and apparently my DM was expecting me to read the book cover to cover. I know the book better than he does right now, and that's not saying much.

I just spoke with my DM about it and he's going to let me redo all of my maneuvers. All I need are two more feats for Master of the Nine, and once that happens I will be the most broken character in the party! MWAHAHA! ...Well, that would be if I could get Lightning Throw... So at 7th level I'll be able to use 4th level maneuvers?

OH! Before I forget, I looked up on Martial Study, and I need it for Master of the Nine as a Warblade. All the schools I've taken maneuvers from so far are legal, I just can't take such high ones. Therefore, I'm going Shadow Hand with it :D

Patlin

Explorer
My "Master of 9" build involves one level of Crusader, one level of Swordsage and the rest in warblade. Only winds up costing you one initiator level, and you get some pretty awesome benefits... with no need for the Martial Study feat.

useridunavailable

First Post
VeitHolderhek said:
OH! Before I forget, I looked up on Martial Study, and I need it for Master of the Nine as a Warblade. All the schools I've taken maneuvers from so far are legal, I just can't take such high ones. Therefore, I'm going Shadow Hand with it :D
If you're going to take Martial Study as a Warblade, I highly recommend taking Burning Blade (Desert Wind) as your first iteration of it; it allows you to spend a swift action to deal 1d6 + initiator level extra fire damage until the end of your turn with no upper limit. There's also a higher level version (Inferno Blade, 3d6 + initiator level, 3rd level maneuver?) with no prerequisite. If it is indeed 3rd level, you could qualify for it now. These maneuvers scale really well, as there's no upper limit, and they apply to all of your attacks as you get more.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads