• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

warforged and creating items

Armadon63

First Post
Can warforged creat items faster then other races since they dont need to rest, eat or sleep? I mean spend 24 hours a day working on the item to create it in 1/3 the time.

moritheil

First Post
Some part of the item creation rules states that even if you have more than 8 hours to throw into the task, no meaningful or useful work gets done in the extra time.

Armadon63 said:
Can warforged creat items faster then other races since they dont need to rest, eat or sleep? I mean spend 24 hours a day working on the item to create it in 1/3 the time.

ARandomGod

First Post
moritheil said:
Some part of the item creation rules states that even if you have more than 8 hours to throw into the task, no meaningful or useful work gets done in the extra time.

On the one hand, this is true.

On the other hand, and without refering to the text, I believe it's because of the tireing effect of making magic items. If you did not become tired, you could do it.

On the gripping hand, under warforged casters it specifically states that you have to rest for 8 hours to regain your spells, even if you don't sleep. Which would mean that even if you could keep going without getting tired, you'd eventually need scrolls or something else in order to get the spell cast each day, because you wouldn't be able to regain your spells per day.

Dracomeander

First Post
If all they are doing is using the Craft skill to create mundane or even masterwork items, I do not see why not.

But if they are using the magical Craft feats to create magic items, then no. Granted the warforged do not get fatigued, but the strain of manipulating the magical energies can only be maintained for so long before there needs to be a break for the energies themselves to recover.

At least, that is the way I would rule it.

crafting items

In any case, the right thing for the warforge wizard to do if he wants faster item creation is to create a Dedicated Wright construct... then he and it can craft simultaneously, doubling magic item output.

Ken

moritheil

First Post
IIRC this is independent of whether or not you get tired. It simply doesn't work if you try to do more (unless you have divine rank or something nifty). Arbitrary, but needed. Otherwise we run into issues of constructs and undead creating items much, much faster than the living can.

ARandomGod said:
On the one hand, this is true.

On the other hand, and without refering to the text, I believe it's because of the tireing effect of making magic items. If you did not become tired, you could do it.

moritheil

First Post
This is the text:

SRD said:
The caster works for 8 hours each day. He cannot rush the process by working longer each day. But the days need not be consecutive, and the caster can use the rest of his time as he sees fit.

"Otherwise we run into issues of constructs and undead creating items much, much faster than the living can."

Why is this an issue? What's the point of creating new races or templates, then saying 'oh, by the way they have to be just like humans'? Being tireless is a defining ability of both constructs and undead...the world's more believable if their abilities reflect this, instead of being contrived not to in the name of 'balance'.

If it's deemed game-breaking for constructs/undead to create magic items at 3x the normal rate, then the Dedicated Wright homonculus is horribly underpriced, since a feat and a couple of thousand gold will double any caster's magic item rate. Actually , a caster with this feat (craft construct) could get additional multiples to his magic item creation rate simply by creating multiple homunculi, one for each item he wants to work on simultaneously.

He could for example, make 3 dedicated wrights, start 4 4000gp magic items (which would normally take 16 days to make), invest 3 hour starting the 3 dedicated wrights items, then have all 4 items finished 4 days later.

So , given the existence of the Dedicated Wright, I maintain that it isn't imbalanced for an undead or construct crafter to craft at 2-3 times the rate of a human item crafter. And since it's logical that they would be able to do so (needing no sleep), I think that's the way it should be.

Ken

amazingshafeman

First Post
In Races of Eberron, there's a bit about warforged and their attention span. While they don't physically tire, much like other humanoids their minds start to wander and they must change tasks, hence an 8 hour work day is pretty much it.

Now, I'd think they could work on three different tasks, utilizing *different* craft skills or item creation feats in a days time.

As for mindless constructs and undead, as a DM, I'd rule that if you wanna make em and treat em like assembly line workers, you're gonna get assembly line quality. Mindless automatons and anything just following orders typically aren't going to put much effort or passion into their work (specially creations not capable of passion), so the items they create will be less than average in all aspects, and I'd go so far as to say they take longer to make anything more complex than a plate as well.

Of course, I'd rule that after discussing with the player whether the character intent on this process would even understand the concept of an assembly line and labor production margins to begin with. Commons sense is subjective to environment, after all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads