Warforged Barbarian (Fast?) Movement

Psimancer

First Post
I was reading through Races of Eberron last night and I came across a passage that gave me pause.

It was at the end of the section about Warforged, where they talk about classes. In the passage about Barbarians, it states:

“…the Adamantine Body feat grants you excellent protection that Barbarians can not normally gain. The Barbarian speed bonus offsets the slower speed imposed by that feat…”

Can anyone actually explain how that works exactly…?

Jhulae

First Post
If I'm not mistaken, Adamantine body reduces the movement of the warforged to 20' from it's normal 30'. However, since it doesn't count as 'heavy armor' in the typical sense, a barbarian Warforged can get the 10' bonus speed allowance, bringing the adamantine body Warforged back up to 30' movement.

Psimancer

First Post
Under Adamantine Body it states two things;

“…you are considered to be wearing heavy armor…”

“…Warforged characters with this feat do not gain the benefit of any class feature prohibited to a character wearing heavy armor…”

Under Barbarian Fast Movement it states;

“…This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load…”

Jhulae, in answer to your reply (and thank you for posting so quickly), it does seem to count as heavy armor…

FireLance

Legend
My opinion is that the person writing the section on the warforged barbarian goofed. The actual rule seems pretty clear to me: a warforged barbarian with Adamantine Body does not get the speed boost.

Jhulae

First Post
It appears I was mistaken. (No books, at work, going from memory.)

Then, I concur with FireLance. Unless there's been some update to Adamantine Body, the writer of that passage was in error.

Remove ads