• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warforged by any other name

BluWolf

Explorer
I am including Warforged in my Homebrew. Thruth is, I always intended a race like the Warforged in my campaign but Keith Baker just got it right. No need to tweek.

Well he got it right except for th name. The name makes sense in Eberron because of their background but not so much in my homebrew. Lacks the big old war.

My homebrew, StormWorld, takes place about 2,000 years after a great calamity (called the Sundering) after the world was ruled by a magic & tehcnology wielding Magocracy.

The (insert name here) are left over from that time. There are few that have the ability to create them anymore and most treated as possesions.

The usual anmes just don't ring true to me. Warforged, Nimblewrights, Golem, Gol-men, androids????

I'm tapped. To close to the forest to see the trees.

Please help.

Andor

First Post
If they are a nearly forgotten piece of ancient technology then you might go for some kind of old english or greek sounding word to suggest a hold over piece of ancient terminology.

Automaton would be the actual greek derived word btw.

Hmm.. Some poking around here comes up with the following bits of fun.

demiurge
1678, from Latinized form of Gk. demiourgos, lit. "public or skilled worker"

gandy dancer
"railroad maintenance worker," 1923, Amer.Eng. slang, of unknown origin;

Or you might go for a name based on their status as possesions. Thralls or Slave or Workforged.

Psimancer

First Post
I also plan to introduce them into my non-Eberron game and have contemplated the naming issue.

My initial instinct is to just abbreviate the ‘Warforged’ name and call them ‘The Forged’. The other major contender in 'Ironborn' from the Book of Iron Might (as previously stated).

A couple of others that spring to mind:

'The Sheen' or 'Sheens' – used as a name of a bio-mechanical race in Dragon magazine awhile ago…

'Clanks' – used to describe constructs in Phil and Kaja Foglio's Girl Genius http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads