• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warforged Resolve pretty powerfull?

Evil DM

First Post
Hello folks,

I just wonder about the warforged's racial encounter power warforged resolve. It says that the character gains 3 + half level HPs if he is bloodied.

That means if the warforged leaves the encounter while bloodied he can heal himself up to half his HPs (plus 1 to 3 depending where he was below half HPs ;) ).

If I take a healing surge, which spends one quarter of your total HPs the warforged save one (or even two) healing surges if he leaves a battle bloodied.

Or overall speaking: At the end of an encounter a warforged does not need more than two healing surges.

What do you think?

Cheers, Evil DM.

James McMurray

First Post
It works, but he's only healing 3 + 1/2 level hit points every 5 minutes. If there's anything putting a time crunch on the adventure (including impatient party members), the tactic won't work.

Runestar

First Post
It could work.

Timed right during combat, it can both heal you and grant temp hp, effectively preventing more damage than a healing surge (at lower lvs anyways), already saving you a surge. After combat, it may save you another one. Used repeatedly over the course of an entire day, that is some serious endurance your warforged PC has.:cool:

Things get even more fun at lv30, where you can reuse it every round via demigod to get 23 temp hp. Even the strongest of foes will have trouble wading through that much hp...:lol:

Robtheman

First Post
in the spirit of resurrecting a dead machine...

Add Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (level 6 uncommon belt that grants resist 10 to all damage while at or below 0 hit points) and you're almost industrucible.

Add +5 feat bonus to death saves from the paragon tier feat "Disciple of Death", +2 to all saves from "Warforged Juggernaut" PP, and +2 from Potion of Spirits (level 10 uncommon consumable), and you never fail a death saving throw.

Yes, I built it. Yes, it's fun to wade through combat meeting out punishment to one foe after.

Last edited:

Aulirophile

First Post
Eh. People forget that if you're not in a rush, you can spend any healing power (including surgeless ones) during a short rest, then just take another short rest and get them back. There is even a feat that maximizes all random dice when doing this (Restful Healer).

I'd rather use WFR in combat, personally.

[MENTION=72317]Runestar[/MENTION]: Demigod was errata'd to only recover a power once, and it has to be an attack power.

Mengu

First Post
After a short rest I always want to be at max or close to max hit points. I'm an adventurer, there is no telling when the next fight will be.

I know the whole multiple rests thing is legal, and some say expected, but I just can't envision my characters doing so. I want a quick rest, and I want to move on. And I never want to be down an encounter resource at the start of an encounter. My leaders will not be caught in combat without their 2/3 encounter heals, just because they used them at the end of a short rest thinking they would get another 5 minutes, to recover them. They will not always get those 5 minutes. Everyone has surges. They are there to use, not to hoard.

in the spirit of resurrecting a dead machine...

Add Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (level 6 uncommon belt that grants resist 10 to all damage while at or below 0 hit points) and you're almost industrucible.

Add +5 feat bonus to death saves from the paragon tier feat "Disciple of Death", +2 to all saves from "Warforged Juggernaut" PP, and +2 from Potion of Spirits (level 10 uncommon consumable), and you never fail a death saving throw.

Yes, I built it. Yes, it's fun to wade through combat meeting out punishment to one foe after.
Warforged can´t fail death saving throws... they can take ten after rolling.

But with enough support they may even succeed on every saving throw!

Robtheman

First Post
Granted. However, the Warforged ability to take 10 after the roll is not relevant since the build described is a Revenant. Access to Warforged Juggernaut was a consequence of using a substandard previous race for flavor.

As far as providing "enough support," there are a number of simple ways to get +9 or greater to death saves. In this case the most enjoyable (IMO) charging PP was Warforged Juggernaut. It happens to grant a +2 bonus in addition to the other benefits. Investing 1 feat and a 200GP potion to 50% to effective health doesn't seem like a waste.

Is it the best way to do it? No. Is it fun for me and do the stats work better for an Avenger? Yes.

Ok, sorry missed the Revenant part. ;)

As far as I am concerned, there is no best way and sometimes the best thing is inferior if it is neither fun, nor fitting for the playstyle.

Best regards, UngeheuerLich^^

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Throw in the feat Unfailing Vigor (PHB3) and you only need an 18 to spend a surge on a death save.

Go Human or Half-Elf and a Martial character can take Timely Revival at epic tier to make death saves at start of turn. Unconscious becomes nearly indistinguishable from being knocked prone and forced to spend a surge, though there is always the possibility of additional mischief occurring before your turn comes around.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads