Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition Core Set

noelyuk

First Post
4 out of 5 rating for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition Core Set

The haters will point to 'all the fiddly bits' 'the funny dice' and call it more of a board game than an RPG. Most of them stubbornly refuse to give up their precious D10s etc though and won't have even tried it. Those of us who have, see a system that remains faithful to one of the greatest grim-dark fantasy worlds there is and dares to be different by putting the rules you need on 'fiddly bits' on the tabletop. Sure it's not perfect, but it's bold and brave and I for one think that the fact it wasn't more well received by a wider audience is a bit of a shame. Playing any game that didn't use narrative dice would seem like a backwards step to me after extensive play of this.

JLant

First Post
3 out of 5 rating for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition Core Set

Innovative system marred by the high entry price and the need to purchase so many other pricey supplements to get the complete game.

Eponymous

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition Core Set

Fantasy flight is really on to something with these rules - the same rules system serves as the basis for the Star wars line of games from Fantasy flight, with minor changes - the big one being dropping the board game type publishing of the core rules. This is the thing which put WHFRP 3 behind the eight ball and was disguised under the banner of "why the unusual dice which coming from role players is one of the silliest pronouncements of all time. having said that and got it out of the way the game plays great. The only thing I'm not super keen on is the stance meter. Its ok but its a bit clunky to be honest. Combat is really fluid and deadly. Skill checks a breeze - the unique dice add so much falvour to any in game role and serve to add, pacing elements and story elements and sundry other minutiae depending on the situation. The setting is the same old warhammer setting and its themes, horror and narrative elements are well supported by some of the best GMing advice I've come across and explanations of how to make the dice work for you. The monsters are flavorful however the human monsters in the game are as terrifying as the large clawed and toothed and supernatural kind.Should you buy the game? if you like gitty fantasy and nuanced and quick resoltion systems then Yes. Or if you like the Star wars game and want to try fantasy with a very similar system.It's in its best value in the boxed set get two if you can so you can support a group larger than four players. Sure you can also get the books which are beautiful but you miss out on the bits and bobs that support play which come with the large box set.

Remove ads