• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warhammer fantasy roleplay disaster, what happened

Puggins

Explorer
Hmm, a couple of comments.

(1) Grave's character was petty, selfish and opportunistic. A sterling example of Unaligned (Or chaotic neutral in the earlier editions of D&D). He only wanted to kill someone after that guy dealt him a serious injury. That's petty, not evil. He wanted to steal from a guy who was away or sleeping. Again, that's not evil, that's greedy and selfish. I think evil entails stuff a lot more extreme, especially in the Warhammer world. Conan killed men for less, and no one describes him as evil.

(2) Grave robbing is certainly stigmatized, but it being inherently linked to chaos worship? That's going a little far. He wanted the gold, he didn't want the guy's body.

(3) Chaotic Neutral =/= insane. Grave's rogue was definitely chaotic neutral- he was in it for himself, and he paid no attention to societal norms or laws. You can say that of mobsters or street gangs, neither of which are insane.

invokethehojo

First Post
I am not familiar with warhammer world so I don't know anything about the "morals" of it, but I have to say that giving you a character to play that is described as a "thief with no parents and struggling to survive, covered in rags" the ONLY sane expectation is for you to steal stuff. I mean come on, he even gave you two ideas to raise money, both of which invovled stealing stuff, so he basically dangled the carrot right in front of your face.

If I were in your position I would have gotten wicked pissed at the DM. You carve out some time to play an RPG, he gives you a thief, gives you thief things to do, then penalizes you for acting like a thief. WTF!?

Part of my anger stems from the fact that I have a newborn and it's hard for me to make time to game, even though it's my favorite hobby. So I tend to get really angry when I get a chance, and the DM pulls something like this, thereby ruining what will likely be my only chance to play for a month at least. And I would have felt this way regardless of whether this was my character or not. My house is the place to play for my group, someone pulling that kind of stunt would have had their right to DM there revoked, permanently.

Rune

Once A Fool
Seems like your character does not play well with others. Some suggestions for future like-minded characters:

...Play someone who is not actually a part of the group, but is shadowing the party for some reason. Just be ready for the consequences when the party eventually catches you.

...Stop trying to do things the party will object to on moral grounds, right in front of them! Instead, be sneaky. Just be ready for the consequences when the party eventually catches you.

At any rate, be aware, also, that, if you continually oppose the assumptions of the societies/civilizations of the setting, eventually the setting will react, so be ready for the consequences when you are finally caught. Until then, play your character and have fun.

D'karr

Adventurer
Seems like your character does not play well with others. Some suggestions for future like-minded characters:

...Play someone who is not actually a part of the group, but is shadowing the party for some reason. Just be ready for the consequences when the party eventually catches you.

...Stop trying to do things the party will object to on moral grounds, right in front of them! Instead, be sneaky. Just be ready for the consequences when the party eventually catches you.

At any rate, be aware, also, that, if you continually oppose the assumptions of the societies/civilizations of the setting, eventually the setting will react, so be ready for the consequences when you are finally caught. Until then, play your character and have fun.

In other words, DON"T GET CAUGHT! :D

Rykion

Explorer
Both tomb robber and grave robber are careers in WFRP, so it's definitely something that fits the setting. It also probably means death if caught. I can understand the ranger's reluctance to be part of the actions, but it seems like the game just went wrong.

kitsune9

Adventurer
By the base WFRP2e rules you do roll your characters starting career randomly based on your race. Actually one of the things I like about WFRP2e is that you can generate characters very quickly based off just a few random rolls. However I agree that it is then up to the players and GM to come to some sort of consensus about how those characters are going to fit together as a party.

WFRP2e is one of those games where I can roll randomly for any character concept and be completely happy with the choice. The Career Compendium is a great book.

Dragonstriker

First Post
Seems like your character does not play well with others.

It seems like some other people in the group don't play well with others.
The guy playing the ranger was acting like a jerkass and then to hack on the seer and theif as noobs who can't roleplay is really adding insult to injury. It also sounds like the GM was clueless about running a game for the players to enjoy and repeatedly pulled dick moves for his own lulz.

I'm with the posters who say tell the other players why the experience sucked for you, talk about how you can play as a team instead of at cross purposes and what the group expectations are. If that doesn't work, walk away.

Rune

Once A Fool
It seems like some other people in the group don't play well with others.

That may also be true.

The guy playing the ranger was acting like a jerkass and then to hack on the seer and theif as noobs who can't roleplay is really adding insult to injury.

The ranger's in-game actions were entirely in line for a moral character. Any insults to the player(s) outside of the game were uncalled for.

It also sounds like the GM was clueless about running a game for the players to enjoy and repeatedly pulled dick moves for his own lulz.

If you were the GM, how would you have made two factions of players happy when they clearly had different (opposing) agendas, styles of play, and concepts of "fun." I'm sure it could be done (fold the party-conflict into the plot, for instance), but GMing takes practice to perfect. Not all GMs are very practiced (whether they know it or not).

I'm with the posters who say tell the other players why the experience sucked for you, talk about how you can play as a team instead of at cross purposes and what the group expectations are. If that doesn't work, walk away.

Good advice. It is clear that not everyone is on the same page.

Haltherrion

First Post
Enjoyed the re-cap, surprisingly entertaining :)

As to your question, it seems like they were too quick to tell you how to play your PC but maybe maybe there's more to their side of the story. As you described it, there was a little too much 'meta' to the gaming, meaning the players appealed to too much of player-to-player communication and not enough in-game communication.

It might ultimately be a matter of incompatible PCs in which case, at some point, new PCs for the "out" player may be appropriate. But it seems some of that could have been resolved in-game: the party splits up, maybe with one side getting the other side lock-up or killed, and the players who need to roll new PCs do so.

The complication may be that the ref doesn't like evil PCs. In the end, that's a matter of taste for the ref I suppose but he ought to make it clear rather than stacking the deck against you. Sounds like it may be time for a talk with the gaming group to work this out.

GenghisDon

First Post
It sounds like you might as well either A) find a new group or b) play noble, heroic type characters only

I have heard plenty blaming the player, but come on, this is nuetral behaviour, not evil

As for the setting making an impact, hogwash

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads