Warhammer FRPG 4th Ed PDF Pre-Order Goes Live on DriveThruRPG!

Cubicle 7 Entertainment have launched the digital pre-order for the forthcoming Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition Rulebook on DriveThruRPG. Although not available to download right away, the pre-order means customers will be sent a download link as soon as the rulebook is uploaded. And it’s not long before we get the chance to travel back to the Old World again.

Cubicle 7 Entertainment have launched the digital pre-order for the forthcoming Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Fourth Edition Rulebook on DriveThruRPG. Although not available to download right away, the pre-order means customers will be sent a download link as soon as the rulebook is uploaded. And it’s not long before we get the chance to travel back to the Old World again.

A few companies have started doing digital pre-orders with DriveThru. Monte Cook Games offered their two new core books on digital pre-order through DriveThru earlier this year, and it seems like it’s a trend that could become popular with companies.

The Fourth Edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay will contain everything you need to go adventuring in the grim and perilous lands of the Old World. So get the gang together, create your (anti)heroes and set off to make your way through the vile corruption, scheming plotters and terrifying creatures intent on destruction!

Please note: Some of the links in the post above may be “affiliate links”. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item the author of this post will receive an affiliate commission.

Yeah if you get the 'pre-order' PDF now from RPGNow, it is downloadable immediately, but it is not the finalised PDF. If you purchase hardcopy from C7 site, you get a link for the the PDF on RPGNow. They're collecting errata and stuff first, which I always like. 100 fans much better than 1 or 2 pro proof readers.

Sigil & Sign in November, IIRC.

(Edit - May 2017)

Yeah, I always lose track of the Cthulhu-related stuff because it seems like everyone who does Cthulhu stuff uses Kickstarter for it, so I forget which company does what for that. It also almost seems like Chaosium prefers companies to use Kickstarter for licensed Cthulhu books. But that is moot now, since right after that one was released, C7 had their license from Chaosium expire.

The PDF still needs a fair amount of work, largely because it adds a degree of structure to the rules that wasn't in previous editions - and needs some clarification in places, accordingly. There is also some editing needed, with references to skills that aren't on the list etc.

The rule that has characters being rewarded XP for keeping random rolls is clever though (as opposed to just choosing or spending points). It means that players are gently encouraged to avoid making optimised characters all the time, while still keeping the option open for players who simply don't like the way the dice fall.

Barantor

Explorer
Yeah sorry about the confusion, I meant preorder.

(Got a KS preview copy around the same time of Hall of Judgement for GURPS)

The PDF still needs a fair amount of work, largely because it adds a degree of structure to the rules that wasn't in previous editions - and needs some clarification in places, accordingly. There is also some editing needed, with references to skills that aren't on the list etc.

The rule that has characters being rewarded XP for keeping random rolls is clever though (as opposed to just choosing or spending points). It means that players are gently encouraged to avoid making optimised characters all the time, while still keeping the option open for players who simply don't like the way the dice fall.
I like the random vs XP, I think I first saw it in Hackmaster, but I guess it's been around as an idea. I think you can complete your first career level by accepting the rolls, need another 25 XP to move to the next.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I like the random vs XP, I think I first saw it in Hackmaster, but I guess it's been around as an idea. I think you can complete your first career level by accepting the rolls, need another 25 XP to move to the next.
Yea, I've been trying that to figure that out. To finish a career, you need 8 skills with 5 advances, 3 characteristics with 5 advances, and 1 talent. You get 5 advances for 8 skills, 5 total characteristic advances, and the talent as part of character creation. So you should need 10 more characteristic advances, so you need 250 XP to get those, and then 100 more to change the career.

If you accept all your rolls for race, career, and attributes, you should get 120 XP total, so you're about 1/3 of the way there.

If I've missed anything, I'd appreciate it, since the rules are a little complicated.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Yeah if you get the 'pre-order' PDF now from RPGNow, it is downloadable immediately, but it is not the finalised PDF. If you purchase hardcopy from C7 site, you get a link for the the PDF on RPGNow. They're collecting errata and stuff first, which I always like. 100 fans much better than 1 or 2 pro proof readers.

Hah, I've not seen this approach to proofreading before. But I kinda like it.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Yea, I've been trying that to figure that out. To finish a career, you need 8 skills with 5 advances, 3 characteristics with 5 advances, and 1 talent. You get 5 advances for 8 skills, 5 total characteristic advances, and the talent as part of character creation. So you should need 10 more characteristic advances, so you need 250 XP to get those, and then 100 more to change the career.

If you accept all your rolls for race, career, and attributes, you should get 120 XP total, so you're about 1/3 of the way there.

If I've missed anything, I'd appreciate it, since the rules are a little complicated.

uughh this sounds, well, complicated

TrainedMunkee

Explorer

Yeah 20 XP for race, 50 XP for career and 50 XP for Attributes. Depending on how scarce XP is, it's probably better to get the character you want to play. For instance I rolled Halfling and kept it for 20 XP. I then rolled Villager as a career, no thank you, so I rolled twice more and received Thief and Smuggler. I went with Thief for 20 XP. I then rolled Attributes random and received decent for a Thief, Halfling bonuses lean this way anyhow, and received 50 XP for keeping Attributes and not rearranging them. Character creation is more detailed than that of course, but I like how it hearkens back to the roll and keep you used to get in editions past yet allows for a modern feel anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads