• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warhorse cohort

hong

WotC's bitch
The knight in my Britannia 3E game is looking for a warhorse as a cohort. Basically he wants something that will survive longer than one fireball. So I said sure.

Below is the celestial warhorse with 2 fighter levels that I've cooked up. The order of application is base creature (heavy warhorse) -> celestial template -> 2 fighter levels.

Male celestial heavy warhorse ftr2; CR 7; Large Magical Beast (good); HD 4d8+2d10+24 (62 hp); Init +2; Spd 50 ft; AC 15 (touch 11, flat-footed 13); Atk +8 melee (1d6+4 , 2 hooves), +3 melee (1d4+2, bite); F/R 5 ft x 10 ft/5 ft; SA Smite evil (+6 damage); SQ Darkvision 60 ft, acid resistance 10, cold resistance 10, electricity resistance 10, DR 5/+1, SR 12; AL LG; SV Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +3; Str 19, Dex 14, Con 18, Int 3, Wis 14, Cha 10.

Skills and Feats: Listen +8, Spot +8, Jump +6, 3 feats (probably Iron Will, Power Attack, Cleave -- any suggestions?)

For stats, I just took the standard heavy warhorse stats and bumped them all up by 1 (since it's a cohort and should be above average). I'm assuming that it gets a feat from reaching 6 HD, and then 2 bonus fighter feats.

Does this look right?

diaglo

Adventurer
i thought celestials were outsiders. but if not than magical beast would work since the int is above 2.

edit: of course then you have the whole prof with all weapons baloney with the ft lvls and no opposable thumbs

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
diaglo said:
i thought celestials were outsiders. but if not than magical beast would work since the int is above 2.

This is the celestial template, not a "celestial" like a solar or planetar. Beasts and animals become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature's type is unchanged. Also, if the creature's Int is below 3, it becomes 3.

edit: of course then you have the whole prof with all weapons baloney with the ft lvls and no opposable thumbs

Yeah, but this is an NPC who's destined to be a mount, so it shouldn't be a major problem.

Last edited:

Arcturus_Rugend

First Post
I think magical beasts have a d10 for HD, so all the horse's HD should be d10's.

Other than that, it looks good, and the fighter feats will give all kinds of good options for feats like Weap. Focus: Hoof and the like, especially if the horse continues to advance in levels.

I would pay good money to see a horse do a whirlwind attack. :D

diaglo

Adventurer
so this got me thinking a little more. ft lvls give prof with armor and shields.

does a mount without lvls in a class gain the penalties for not being prof with armor when they wear barding?

how long does in take to don barding?

what are the rules concerning fatigue and wearing armor in your sleep? are they the same as with bipeds?

Last edited:

Arcturus_Rugend

First Post
I'd say that we're now venturing into strange and probably less than useful territory, but here goes:

Warhorses as a creature "class" are probably proficient with barding of all types. This differentiates them from standard horses.

The horse can't put on barding without help anyway, so I'd just assume that it takes as long for someone else to put it on you as it would take to put similar (human sized) armor on yourself.

I'd say that fatigue is fatigue. Nobody is going to sleep well in armor without some magical help.

Rackhir

Explorer
For purposes of the horse's stats, I would probably look at the information in the Windrider class for selecting "better" mounts. I would think a cohort horse would have considerably better stats than just a regular horse. You might want to do its stats with a 28pt buy + racial modifiers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads