• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock: A Fix

ravenheart

Explorer
After I had read the many warlock threads as of late, an idea came to me while I was standing in the rain waiting for the bus from work. I let the idea grow in my mind for a couple of days, working out some of the kinks. Finally, I have come up with what I think is a viable "fix" for warlocks.

First, some premises based on the general consensus (as I've interpreted it):

1. Warlocks deal sub-par striker damage - although they have some controller-ish capabilities.
2. Warlocks are confined by their choice of at-will powers - due to their pact-boon and eldritch blast class feature.

Now, for the fix.

Solution 1: This is not a problem, I repeat, not a problem - The warlock was never intended to be a heavy duty striker, but rather a genuine attempt at a hybrid striker/controller. Granted, the Con-based warlock lean more towards striker territory, but not without an amount of control. The problem is that Eldritch blast is seriously underpowered. To fix that, instead of just adding damage (which is boring), I suggest pact-specific riders, for example (added under the hit-line):

Fey Pact: The target can't make opportunity attacks until the end of your next turn.
Infernal Pact: The target takes a -2 penalty to its Will or Reflex defense until the end of your next turn.
Star Pact: The target is slowed and deafened until the end of your next turn.

These are just suggestions, you get the point. If someone wants to make some for the Dark and Vestige pact, be my guest!

Solution 2: (Partially) Free choice for all! - Eldritch blast is cemented as a Warlock class feature, so be it. But don't let it take up space as an 1st level at-will attack power! Let every warlock have it (like in 3.5), and give the the option of two at-will powers not forced upon them! Well, not entirely. To keep the flavor right, require that one of the at-wills be pact-related, and the other free form. Except for the part where you can't pick at-wills from another pact. Confusing? Let me demonstrate:
Step 1: Add "Requirement: You must have the (fey/infernal/star/etc.) pact class feature to use this power." to eyebite, hellish rebuke, dire radiance etc.
Step 2: Create additional at-wills for each pact with the same requirement.
Step 3: Create additional non-pact at-wills (like Eldritch Strike, ignore the errata that allows it to be switched with Eldritch blast) without said requirement.
Step 4: Choose two at-will attack powers for your warlock, one of which must be pact associated, and the other can either be pact or non-pact.
Step 5: Profit!

This has the added benefit of creating greater differentiation between warlocks of the same pact. Additionally, this could really help some of those poor Cha-based Starlocks and their MAD problems by creating a Cha-based Star pact at-will. As a matter of fact, I think I'll do that right now.
Color Out of Space
You summon a blotch of color from the darkness of your mind, spreading its insanity at your enemy should they not retreat.
At-Will
bullet.gif
Arcane, Fear, Implement
Standard Action Close burst 3
Requirement: You must have the Star Pact class feature to use this power.
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: Charisma modifier psychic damage. If the target doesn't move further away from you on it's turn, the target takes an extra 2d6 + Charisma modifier damage and falls prone.
Increase damage to twice your Charisma modifier and extra damage to 4d6 + Charisma modifier at 21st level.
Anyone care for creating some more of these at-wills?

So, I know this isn't perfect. Still not sure if I should try and work in Int somewhere in that. But I think it could work. How about you?

FireLance

Legend
[Shameless Plug]
Missing in Action (product also linked in sig) has three new at-will spells with miss effects for warlocks, one for each of the three pacts in the PH:
Bewildering glamor for the Fey pact.

Dread visage for the Star pact (also a Charisma attack).

Vitality drain for the Infernal pact.​
[/Shameless Plug]

Volin

First Post
Honestly, I houseruled eldritch blast as an additional at will so long ago, I forgot that they didn't just work that way. I agree wholeheartedly that they should be able to choose 2 other at wills. It gives humans 4 at-wills, but one is a ranged basic (it's longbow damage without the high crit property).

I'm not sure they need all the rest of it though. It's a pretty effective class all told.

ravenheart

Explorer
After giving it some thought, I realized my "simple" fix seems unnecessarily bloated. Maybe it would just be simpler to treat Eldritch Blast/Strike as class features, and just add an additional at-will to the Warlocks repertoire.

On the other hand, I'm still under the impression that the warlock lacks a certain something. So if anything's to be done at all, it should be done right. Even if it's messy. :cool:

Therefore, I thought I could try messing with Warlock's Curse instead, which, frankly is quite weak and boring in comparison to other striker damage mechanisms. I'm going to port my original thoughts of an Eldritch Blast rider to the curse and see where it gets me.
Eldritch Burst

You over-channel the power of your curse with the intent of destroying your enemy once and for all, releasing eldritch energy all around you.
At-Will
bullet.gif
Arcane, Zone
Free Action
Close burst 3
Trigger: You deal your Warlock's curse damage to the target.
Target: A creature cursed by your Warlock's Curse in burst.
Effect: The target takes an additional 1d6 damage and is no longer cursed by you. The burst creates a zone of cursed energy that last until the start of your next turn. The additional damage increases to 2d6 at 11th level, and 3d6 at 21st level.
Fey Pact: Enemies treat the zone as difficult terrain.
Infernal Pact: Enemies within the zone grant you combat advantage.
Star Pact: Enemies within the zone can't flank you or make opportunity attacks.
Dark Pact: You have total concealment in the zone against non-adjacent foes.
Vestige Pact: Enemies within the zone that attack you or one of your allies is subject to your Warlock's curse.
Special: You can only use this power once per round.
There, what do you make of that? Not sure if you need additional at-wills with this feature, but at-least it gives some pact-related flavor to the curse.

Remove ads