• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock a good replacement in Iron Heores?

Gundark

Explorer
I have been look at the arcanist from Iron Heroes, to be honest I'm not too happy with how it was done. I've been looking for a replacement and wondering if the Warlock from Complete Arcane will work?

Comments?

Naeolin

First Post
Well, it depends if you want to go with the theme established in Iron Heroes or not. That is, Magic is unpredictable, and usually has a steep price. The Warlock's theme is that magic is in fact not unpredicable, and that he has an unlimited supply on his hands. Now, on the other hand, if the character was regularly hounded by Demons who want to collect on the soul he promised in exchange for his power, or perhaps it was his grandfather who promised, then that's a different story.

In that case I'd say the Warlock is very appropriate in regards to Iron Heroes. :D

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
It's come up before, ad if you're just looking for a simpler "spellcaster" to replace IH's, I think it makes sense. For what it's worth, I don't really like the arcanist either and have cut the class entirely. I'm still trying to decide what to replace him with, or even if I'll replace him at all.

Threedub

First Post
My group has been playing IH for a while now, and we cut the Arcanist out totally. There are no spell-casting PCs allowed, and our viewpoint is that magic = demonic = bad. It's been a lot of fun not having spell casters (or magic items, also from the Abyss) to lean on; after playing a few campaigns with high level divine and arcane casters.

We haven't missed spell slingers at all. It's just sweat, blood, and the sound of battle.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads