• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Warlock and Repelling Blast

Otterscrubber

First Post
This warlock features says it allows you to push a foe 10 feet away from you in a straight line when you hit with Eldritch blast. If I'm 12th level and I have 3 blasts, does this mean I push them 10 feet for every hit for a total of 30 feet?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
That seems to me to be an accurate reading of the invocation and spell. Eldritch blast require a separate roll for each beam, which can all be directed at a single target or split between multiple targets. Repelling blast requires that you "hit a creature with your eldritch blast.". Unless you want to make a case that only the first blast triggers the invocation (which is not supported by the rules as I read them), each beam pushes its target 10' back. Whether they all hit one target or are split between several.

psychophipps

Explorer
I agree with the above assessment. Just keep in mind that there are situations where shoving the target around isn't a good idea, as evidenced by the party sorcerer/warlock in a few fights shoving the enemy into places where it became harder to fight them.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I agree with the above.

For extra effect and fun, try to place yourself so the knockback pushes your target over a cliff, or into a lake.*

There is nothing in the (official) rules for slamming a victim into a wall and getting extra damage for it. Anybody have something we could import and use?

* Do NOT do this to your allies; the other players will remember what you did for MONTHS. You might as well wear a neon colored T-shirt that says "I am Chaotic Evil" to subsequent game sessions.

Rhogar_Rarr

First Post
The DMs I've played with typically use something similar to the falling rules. If the target is against a wall and can't be pushed back 10ft, it takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage and may fall prone.

On topic: I agree with your scenario above--30ft for 3 hits. That's how we play it in our games.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
I only allow it to work once. It does not say with each hit. It says hit with eldritch blast which I interpret to mean the spell rather than each hit. Even though you make separate attack rolls, all the blasts go off simultaneously. So you don't get to pulse it and knock back 10 feet per hit if you attack the same target. Until I hear something official otherwise, that's how I'm running it.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I only allow it to work once. It does not say with each hit. It says hit with eldritch blast which I interpret to mean the spell rather than each hit. Even though you make separate attack rolls, all the blasts go off simultaneously. So you don't get to pulse it and knock back 10 feet per hit if you attack the same target. Until I hear something official otherwise, that's how I'm running it.
So if a warlock sends the three beams to separate targets, only the first gets pushed back? Do you determine that randomly or let the player choose which target is hit first? For me, this question was deciding factor in deciding how to rule on the situation.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way

I'm interested in hearing your stance on the multiple-target issue as well. This seems like a pretty divergent reading from the base game: a hit is a hit, whether or not the same effect has been applied once or thrice.

MythicFlair

First Post
It's three separate attacks. Each one can knock the monster back 10ft. Note that this can take them out of range of subsequent blasts, so be careful.

Eric V

Hero

It says when you hit. You attack once. Did you hit? If yes, push the target. You attack again. Did you hit? If yes, this is a separate instance of when, a separate moment in time. So you push another 10 feet. That's the most logical, language-based way to understand the sentence.

It has the same language as the invocation that adds CHA mod to eldritch damage blast and that was ruled per hit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads