• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock confirmed in PH1...

Irda Ranger said:
You got a non-arcane alternative for Controller? Druid could be re-tooled as a divine controller, maybe, but it doesn't look like we're getting that this time around.

I don't think it would even take all that much in the way of retooling (at least no more than all the classes are getting in 4E). From the moment the four "roles" were revealed, I've thought of the druid as a divine controller. And while I know that we'll get the class eventually, count me among those who will be greatly disappointed if the druid's not in PHB1. :(

I agree that it'll be a bit odd if the two arcane classes in PHB1 are both controllers. But then, we still don't know that for certain (even if, I admit, it does look likely).

GreatLemur

Explorer
kerbarian said:
With this, we have five confirmed classes for the PHB1: Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, Warlock. For the last three, my guess is warlord, paladin, and druid. I pick druid over ranger, because I'd expect two of each role, and druid makes the most sense as the second controller class -- I'm assuming the warlock is an arcane striker.
I'm pretty sure a Ranger was included in one of the playtests we've read about.

reanjr said:
I'm not too sure of what an arcane character without casting would be, unless you mean something like a bard where only part of his abilities are casting.
A non-casting arcane character could definitely work. The Soulknife is a non-casting (okay, non-manifesting) psionic character, and there's a non-casting Paladin variant that's still obviously divine-powered.

F4NBOY said:
EDIT: It reminds me: "Logan’s warlock laid down a Mire of Minauros on one side of the room, dissolving a couple of vampires and creating a nice acidic bog to guard our right flank."
Maybe that's a Leader's characteristic. A power that helps the whole party by protecting them in combat.
Nah, that is absolutely a controller move. The leader role seems to be about healing or buffing, while this sort of battlefield manipulation is exactly what controller characters are supposed to do.

Still, it does seem odd that both arcane classes would be controllers, and both controller classes would be arcane...

F4NBOY

First Post
GreatLemur said:
Still, it does seem odd that both arcane classes would be controllers, and both controller classes would be arcane...
Is it confirmed that the wizards is a controller?
I think I missed that.

breschau

First Post
F4NBOY said:
Is it confirmed that the wizards is a controller?
I think I missed that.

It's confirmed that the wizard is a controller. It's in the PC Roles video on youtube.

Or did you mean warlock? That we don't know.

Simia Saturnalia said:
Killed by the Warlock and looted of his stuff?

I'm hoping that's the answer, and that we might see a completely re-imagined Sorceror at a later date.

The Warlock isn't the Arcane Striker, now (and "the other striker"), I'm going to be very surprised, I admit.

jsaving

Adventurer
The designers have confirmed there are at least 2 classes per role, and they've confirmed there are exactly 8 classes in the PH1. They've also told us which role seven of the eight PH classes will play:

Leader -- Cleric, warlord
Defender -- Fighter, paladin
Striker -- Ranger, rogue
Controller -- Wizard

Unless I'm miscounting somewhere, the eighth and final class has to be a controller -- and an arcane one at that, since the PH will have at least 2 classes from each power source and there's only one arcane class in the mix so far.

Howndawg

Explorer
kerbarian said:
They've confirmed 8 classes in the PHB1, so that's not enough for three with each power source. I was uncertain about the sorcerer before, but with the warlock in, I'm pretty sure the sorcerer is out. There are two motivations for the sorcerer. One is the fluff angle of innate arcane power -- that's also covered by the warlock. The other is a variant on wizard spellcasting mechanics, and they're completely reworking the wizard casting system to exactly what they want. Why would they rework two separate versions for the PHB1?

With this, we have five confirmed classes for the PHB1: Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric, Warlock. For the last three, my guess is warlord, paladin, and druid. I pick druid over ranger, because I'd expect two of each role, and druid makes the most sense as the second controller class -- I'm assuming the warlock is an arcane striker.

This scheme would pan out to be:

Defender: Fighter (M), Paladin (D)
Striker: Rogue (M), Warlock (A)
Controller: Wizard (A), Druid (D)
Leader: Cleric (D), Warlord (M)

Two of each role, 2 arcane, 3 divine, and 3 martial. Looks pretty good. I originally thought something similar only with the sorcerer instead of the warlock.

Howndawg

Remove ads