• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

warlock curse damage clarification please

Tripgnosis

First Post
In the description of the curse, it states that you may apply the curse damage any time you damage a cursed enemy. I'm fairly certain this applies to damage that doesn't require an attack roll, but what about damage that doesn't require a damage roll? In the same description it says that you choose whether or not to apply the extra curse damage 'after making the damage roll' (emphasis mine) Should this phrasing be considered a prerequisite for the curse damage?

themilkman

First Post
Errata:

Replace the third sentence of the first paragraph with the following: “If you hit a cursed enemy with an attack, you deal extra damage.”

Does that provide any clarification? Maybe. It specifies that you need to hit with an attack, rather than just dealing damage. I would define "hit" as requiring an attack roll, but that's just me.​

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Does that provide any clarification? Maybe. It specifies that you need to hit with an attack, rather than just dealing damage. I would define "hit" as requiring an attack roll, but that's just me.

It's not just you :) If the power you're using doesn't have a Hit: entry, you can't deal the extra damage. Nor can you deal it along with half-damage on a Miss, for example, because you can't add the Curse damage if you miss with an attack.

-Hyp.

Tripgnosis

First Post
Well there it is then. I'm in agreement that an attack roll is required in then. I dunno why I didn't think to check the errata. Silly me. thanx

Remove ads