Warlock Eldritch Invocations

In terms of the best, I would consider it a tie between Agonizing Blast and Devil's Sight. I only run ranged warlocks so Agonizing Blast is essential. But Devil's Sight is good for all PCs, even those with normal darkvision. For human PCs it is big.

The worst is Sign of Ill Omen. Just terrible.

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
It depends entirely on the type of game you're involved in. If the campaign consists of little more than a series of successive combat encounters with a bit of exposition thrown in, then the best invocations are things like Agonizing Blast, Devil's Sight, and Improved Pact Weapon. If the campaign actually involves the roleplaying and exploration tiers, then the best invocations are things like Mask of Many Faces, Misty Visions, Beast Speech, Eldritch Sight, and Eyes of the Rune Keeper. I have actually built entire character concepts around the Mask of Many Faces invocation, especially when combined with Expertise in Deception and/or the Actor feat. Sooo much fun!

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I think Agonizing Blast is highly overrated. It's fine. It is a mistake, I think, to take too many invocations that are just about attacking, esp. with cantrips. Adding on a bit to a back up attack isn't a game changer while other invocations can be. Cantrips also become less and less important as levels go up. What once was a decent attack at 5th level, isn't anymore at 9th. At 11th (if you play that high) you now have an average of 9 5th level spells and 1 6th per long rest so you really don't need your cantrips that much.

Devil's Sight is also overrated. It doesn't give it to the party and they don't want to be fighting in the dark. It is good utility, just not really a combat ability.

My favourites:

At will Fiendish Vigour (until 5th level)
At will Detect Magic (until 5th level)
At will Silent Image

Book of Ancient Secrets
Ghostly Gaze
Tomb of Levistus

Also good:

At will Disguise Self (until 5th level)
Cloak of Flies
Devil's Sight
Trickster's Escape

G

Guest 6801328

* Eyes of the Rune Keeper
- nice combo for Pact of Book?
- can be DM dependent if your DM believes the 'You can read it, but it does not automatically mean that you understand it' debate

Are there DM's who say things like this?

I wouldn't be at that table for long.

Although it does remind me of A Fish Called Wanda:
Kevin Kline: "Apes don't read Nietzsche."
Jamie Lee Curtis: "Yes, they do, Otto. They just don't understand it."

Remove ads