• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock Feats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeten

First Post

Sorry about dragging you out of character. My suggestions might be more helpful in that regard if I knew more about your character than:
Tiefling Warlock, fey pact.
Cha 18, con 14, int 16, wis 13, dex 10, str 8.
I'm sorry if I come across as snarky, but I'm feeling a little put upon because you started with "there's no feats", then, upon being shown one changed to "not enough feats", then, when shown several changed to "not enough feats that are in character". Having the bar repeatedly raised on me kind of gets my goat.

Edited for grammar.

There's no feats that do Warlock stuff. Weapon proficiency: Bastard Sword is not an example of a feat that meets any criteria. No one shifted the bar. No feats and not enough feats never included Alertness. I dont care about Alertness. What makes you think its a Warlock feat? It isnt. Warlocks are Strikers. That means they hurt people.

Rogues can take back stabber, two weapon fighting, weapon focus, and 12 more feats to hit people harder, without any of those requiring cha 13, or con 13 or wis 13 or int 13.

Reading out fighter feats from the book doesnt answer the OP, it essentially just threadcraps. "No warlock feats?? Why not use a Bastard Sword with your 8 str!"

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Without further ado, lets start:

Alertness: Nobody likes giving up combat advantage.

yawn

(etc)

If you ask for help and someone gives you help, don't be snarky or rude to people who have bothered to try to help you out.

Your original question could have been left to die with 0 responses, but people have spent time and effort to come up with possible solutions for you. The least you could do is be polite in responding to them.

Doesn't seem to be much point in keeping this thread open, unless you plan to change your ways.

Do you?

Last edited:

Benly

First Post
The short answer is: yes, warlocks are short on feats. The consequence of this is that you have room for Shenanigans. You have plenty of feat slots free to blow on multiclassing for oddball/utility powers or on training in a whole extra character's worth of skills if you feel like it.

theNater

First Post
There's no feats that do Warlock stuff. Weapon proficiency: Bastard Sword is not an example of a feat that meets any criteria. No one shifted the bar. No feats and not enough feats never included Alertness. I dont care about Alertness. What makes you think its a Warlock feat? It isnt. Warlocks are Strikers. That means they hurt people.
Just because a character's role is striker doesn't mean that feats not improving damage are useless to them. Combat Mobility is totally a striker feat. Defenders and leaders often use melee abilities, and controllers have a large number of close powers. Strikers are more likely to be using ranged attacks or moving around in reach of enemies. Alertness is not a warlock only feat, but it is a feat that is useful to warlocks.
Rogues can take back stabber, two weapon fighting, weapon focus, and 12 more feats to hit people harder, without any of those requiring cha 13, or con 13 or wis 13 or int 13.
Have you considered the possibility that rogues get more damage boosting feats because they need more damage boosting feats? In the heroic tier, the only level where a rogue gets a power that does a number of weapon dice and is not met by a warlock power that does the same number of d10s is level seven, where the warlock is limited to d8s. Given that the rogue's powers cannot be used with weapons that provide higher than a d8, I think the warlock has it pretty good on damage.

For improving your damage output, you may want to try multiclassing into wizard. Using the power swap feat to pick up Spectral Ram as your 7th level encounter power gives you a little more damage.

If your actual complaint is that you can't boost the damage on Avernian Eruption as much as a rogue can boost the damage on Deep Cut, then I have no sympathy for you.
Reading out fighter feats from the book doesnt answer the OP, it essentially just threadcraps. "No warlock feats?? Why not use a Bastard Sword with your 8 str!"
I don't understand the term "fighter feat" in this context. Can you explain what you mean?

Also, there seems to have been some confusion about the suggestion of acquiring Weapon Proficiency with a bastard sword. The point is that there comes a time in every adventurer's life when not acting is preferable to provoking opportunity attacks. In most such situations, making a basic melee attack with a bastard sword is preferable to not acting. I'm trying to give you options for awkward situations, not another primary attack.

Seeten

First Post
If you ask for help and someone gives you help, don't be snarky or rude to people who have bothered to try to help you out.

Your original question could have been left to die with 0 responses, but people have spent time and effort to come up with possible solutions for you. The least you could do is be polite in responding to them.

Doesn't seem to be much point in keeping this thread open, unless you plan to change your ways.

Do you?

With all due respect, as you are an admin, and all, I think that was a legitimate response. Alertness is a boring feat, and I dont want it. It certainly doesnt meet the criteria of "Warlock Feat" as I see a Warlock feat. In fact, you know what? I'm done. Go ahead and lock the thread. I won't be back.

ENWorld has been on a steady slide from what it used to be, to what it is now. Frankly, I'm getting much more interesting replies and discussion in several other places. This sort of moderation is good for just about nothing. Telling a strength 8 character to use a bastard sword, and calling alertness a warlock feat are about as useful as not replying, to answer your own snarky question, so no, I am not thrilled to have non-useful answers. Sorry if that hurts someone's feelings.

Last edited:

The Sword 88

First Post
You can always just leave and go to the "other places" you mention.

But what did you expect for answer? People to find some feat you overlooked? Well there aren't any, too bad, yeah the bastard sword thing is stupid, but skill training stealth and skill focus stealth certainly werent stupid and have good warlock falvor in addition to giving another use for DEX which opens up the possibility of taking some of the DEX based feats. As for Alertness, improved initiative, and toughness people suggested those because they are good for all characters.

Sorry that no one found that awesome feat that has no prereqs adn gives you a crazy bonus to dmg or to hit or whatever but it's not there so people did their best to help.

Oh and the bastard sword idea was really stupid.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
to answer your own snarky question, so no, I am not thrilled to have non-useful answers. Sorry if that hurts someone's feelings.

I don't know what makes you think you can go on being rude to people (including me). You say ENworld is on a steady slide, and yet you are the one that I see being rude to people and not prepared to change your ways.

The good options that you had were

a) agree with me, and start behaving politely to people
b) disagree with me and email me with your reasoning.

Disagreeing with moderators in public in the thread is a no-no

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads