• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Warlock invocations using spell slots

Runny

First Post
It seems like the invocations that use spell slots should be cast at spell slot level without actually burning one of the two slots. This would allow one to create a more castery warlock with a mix of encounter spells and daily spells. It also supports the AEDU format from level one. Bane as an additional daily makes sense and is in no way overpowered. Bane as a daily that also burns an encounter slot is just stupid.

bogmad

First Post
It seems like the invocations that use spell slots should be cast at spell slot level without actually burning one of the two slots. This would allow one to create a more castery warlock with a mix of encounter spells and daily spells. It also supports the AEDU format from level one. Bane as an additional daily makes sense and is in no way overpowered. Bane as a daily that also burns an encounter slot is just stupid.

I thought so too. Having them use up spell slots just seemed to make them a "trap choice", and I'd like to see a bigger variety of warlocks instead of players always deciding to beef up their eldritch blasts.
I don't want to be asked why my warlock pc picked the unoptimized choice if I sometime find myself with a more min maxing player during organized play.

Boarstorm

First Post
It's the price you pay for the diversity afforded by picking something that allows you access to a spell that's not on your class's spell list.

That said... yeah, I don't like those choices. I'm almost always going to take an invocation that I can use at will because that's what I want from a warlock. It's a playstyle thing, though.

Boarstorm

First Post
It just seems like the true balanced implementation is as daily spells like the Mystic Arcanum spells.

I don't disagree.

Maybe it helps if you think of it as giving up an invocation in exchange for a low-level Arcanum?

... that you have to power with a spell slot?

Ok, that doesn't work so well.

Runny

First Post
Yeah. Giving up an at will for a daily is a great case of playstyle balance. Just remove the spell slot expenditure and it works.

Remove ads