• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock = Magical Girl?

I was looking at the build for Warlock recently and I realized, it's abilities (ignoring the Fluff) almost exactly line up with a classic anime Magical Girl ala Sailor Moon.

Magical Girl: Has one powerful magical attack they use over and over and over.
Warlock: Eldritch Blast.

Magical Girl: Gains additional Powers from wands and Jewelry and such.
Warlock: Deceive item.

Magical Girl: Despite wearing flimsy clothes, walk away from powerful attacks merely bruised.
Warlock: Damage Reduction, Energy Resistance, Fiendish Resilience, Light Armor only.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Now that would be an interesting character.

GM: So, I see you're playing a warlock. Where do your inherent powers come from?

Player: They were awakened by a couple of magical talking cats after they told me I was the last scion of an ancient extraplanar kingdom!

GM: O...kay.

Demiurge be out.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Name: Kana-chan
B/W/H: 80/56/78
Hair: odango
Eyes: large
Weight: ^_~
Height: 1.57 m
Personality: Shy and reserved, but deadly with a teddy bear
Goals: To graduate with honors, get Arima-sempai to notice me, and protect Class 2-B from icky tentacle monsters

hafrogman

Adventurer
ThirdWizard said:
Goals: protect Class 2-B from icky tentacle monsters

There are an awful lot of those around. . .

Aboleth
Assassin Vine
Beholders
Carrion Crawler
Chaos Beast
Darkmantle
Displacer Beast
Grick
Mind Flayer
Otyugh
Phantom Fungus
Roper
Shambling Mound
Tendriculos
Violet Fungus

And that's just the core book. . .

MarkB

Legend
It lacks the link with talking magical animal, though. And the obligatory transformation sequence.

Hmm, maybe they'll be in a prestige class in Complete Mage.

Klaus

First Post
MarkB said:
It lacks the link with talking magical animal, though. And the obligatory transformation sequence.

Hmm, maybe they'll be in a prestige class in Complete Mage.
Dude, Obtain Familiar.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
House Rule in the following:
1) Warlocks get familiars
2) Eldritch Blast must always have at least one invocation. (And then require the player to say the key phrases.)

MarkB

Legend
Klaus said:
Dude, Obtain Familiar.
A pale substitute. The master/familiar relationship is the reverse of the traditional magical girl / talking animal relationship. It's more a case of the talking animal taking "acquire teenager" as a feat.

ThirdWizard

First Post
MarkB said:
A pale substitute. The master/familiar relationship is the reverse of the traditional magical girl / talking animal relationship. It's more a case of the talking animal taking "acquire teenager" as a feat.

You know that thread about geekiest moments? ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads