• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock multiclass question

DanChops

First Post
The situation: Suppose a character takes the Pact initiate feat and a subsequent power swap feat. Now let's suppose that the character chooses to take a warlock power that has additional affects for a warlocks of the pact the character chose when taking the Pact Initiate feat. (For example, say the character chose Infernal as his pact when taking the feat, and took the power swap feat to gain access to Vampric Embrace.)

The question: Does the multiclass character benefit from those additional benefits? Using the example of Vampric Embrace, would the character gain 5 temporary hit ponts, or 5 + Intelligence modifier hit points?

Dalzig

First Post
Strict Reading: You don't gain the pact, you just gain the at-will attack and ability to take paragon paths of that pact. Therefore, you don't gain any bonuses relating to having that pact.

Liberal Reading: Why not?

DanChops

First Post
Strict Reading: You don't gain the pact, you just gain the at-will attack and ability to take paragon paths of that pact. Therefore, you don't gain any bonuses relating to having that pact.

That's how I was reading it as well. Glad to have confirmation.

Liberal Reading: Why not?

The only circumstance I can think of is if a character made intelligence his dump stat, and doesn't want to add a negative modifier to the effect.

4th edition is to be read literally.

From a RAW perspective (which this board deals with), you're absolutely correct. I'll pop over to the house rules board and talk about possible house rules related to this.

Last edited:

Remove ads