• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock or Wizard

Anditch

First Post
I am thinking of playing a caster type. A warlock or a wiz. Which is the best for say damage and versatility. Anyone played both and can help me with this. So really what i am saying which is best warlock or wiz at 1st lev i suppose :)

Goumindong

First Post
I am thinking of playing a caster type. A warlock or a wiz. Which is the best for say damage and versatility. Anyone played both and can help me with this. So really what i am saying which is best warlock or wiz at 1st lev i suppose :)

Warlocks are a lot better for damage and are pretty darn versatile. Wizards are versatile out of combat but very specialized within combat.

Cantrips are really really strong especially if you are creative, and wizards, especially at later levels are one of the few things that will turn a big and dangerous fight into something of a cakewalk.

The best way to think of it is think of it in relation to the complexity of a fight. The more components a fight has(different monster types with different abilties in varying terrain) the better a wizard becomes, because its easier for him to isolate parts of the fight to be dealt with later and create obstructions that friendlies can use to punish enemies.

The simpler a fight is(the less varying terrain, less monster types, more clumpy monsters) the weaker the wizard is.

A warlock, being a striker, is going to be about equally valuable the entire way through. Damage is always needed no matter what type of fight and the warlock provides and adds nice status effects as well.

So it really then depends, are you a blaster(wizards can blast too, but i don't think its as effective), or are you a manipulator?

Anditch

First Post
Warlocks Vs Wizards

So going on what you say about the 2 classes.Warlocks are better suited for damaging individual mobs but wizards better for multiple opponents. So overall a wizard has more variety because he/she has out of combat abilities also. Is that correct in my assumption

Solodan

First Post
Warlock is ok, but probably the least effective striker. Wizard is the only class that fits the controller mold. Plus, its got those cool out of combat at-wills to play with so you're more effective outside of combat than the warlock. If your group doesn't already have a wizard, go wiz. If it does, go warlock. Its still a decent class.

Or wait until the swordmage comes out!

Goumindong

First Post
Be a warlock and multi-class into wizard, why choose?

MAD, no cantrips and/or no curse. Its not a terrible multi-class, not its not really effective.

If you are going to multi-class it pretty much has to be Warlock -> Wizard though.

So going on what you say about the 2 classes.Warlocks are better suited for damaging individual mobs but wizards better for multiple opponents. So overall a wizard has more variety because he/she has out of combat abilities also. Is that correct in my assumption

Fairly close. Each one can supplement their abilities to do other things with feats(ritual casting for the warlock is a good example).

For the wizard though, i would say it different. The warlock kills things and inflicts status effects. The wizard is best at making a multi-enemy fight be a single enemy fight multiple times.

Mengu

First Post
So really what i am saying which is best warlock or wiz at 1st lev i suppose :)

What do you think are better, apples or oranges?

Warlocks are Strikers. They are good at damaging single targets. Their powers confuse or weaken enemies. They rely on stealth, invisibility, teleportation, and temporary hit points for survival.

Wizards are Controllers. They are all about affecting multiple targets, sometimes 2-3, sometimes a roomfull. They have a mix of damaging, and hindering effects. They have a bit more flexibility in Daily power selection than any other class.

Revinor

First Post
Be warned that warlock is not THAT good as far as damage is concerned - it lags seriously behind rogue and ranger.

If you already have a striker in team and no wizard, choose wizard. It will give you a lot of unique abilities, while with warlock you will be just 'that worse striker'. You will get a lot of good moments in fight against multiple mobs at cost of being worse versus single enemies. Outside of combat, wizards are a lot more interesting option.

Stalker0

Legend
Be warned that warlock is not THAT good as far as damage is concerned - it lags seriously behind rogue and ranger.

I would say a warlock is 2/3's striker, and 1/3's controller. While its true they don't do the damage of a rogue or ranger, they also apply more status effects and battlefield control.

Mengu

First Post
Warlocks are also a bit more durable than rogues, as they rely more on range attacks, and while their AC is lower, their teleportation, invisibility, and temporary hitpoints more than make up the difference. If they are using Con as a primary stat, they also have more surges. Rogues who like to slink behind the enemy line for flanking, can be outflanked, and go down very fast.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads