• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock Pacts for the Holy Men

daysoftheking

First Post
I love the flavor of the idea, but I have an issue rules-wise. Warlock is an ARCANE striker, and the idea we're discussing is, in essence, a DIVINE power source. In a way, we're talking about a Divine Striker class with flavor similar to a warlock, but essentially different.

Perhaps there's a way to emphasize the arcane nature of the pact?

darkbard

Legend
It's alright. I've been called worse than an English teacher sometimes >.>

Shinobi, it you're concerned with correctness in writing, you probably want to know that there is no such word as "alright" in English. Regardless of whether it's used as an interjection or an adjective, the word is always spelled all right.

shinobi_guyver

First Post
Shinobi, it you're concerned with correctness in writing, you probably want to know that there is no such word as "alright" in English. Regardless of whether it's used as an interjection or an adjective, the word is always spelled all right.

I am not always "concerned with correctness in writing," darkbard, it generally depends on how I feel at the time of posting. Now let us get back to the topic at hand.

I love the flavor of the idea, but I have an issue rules-wise. Warlock is an ARCANE striker, and the idea we're discussing is, in essence, a DIVINE power source. In a way, we're talking about a Divine Striker class with flavor similar to a warlock, but essentially different.

The Arcane vs. Divine distinction is something that will definitely need to be worked around. The way the PHB describes the Divine power source, a cleric or paladin is more like a representative of their deity.

Exen Trik

First Post
Change the emphasis from being granted power by the gods in thier divine realms to simply tapping into the powers of the Astral plane itself and it's denizens. An Astral pact, where your alignment and faith matter not, you are simply bound to and draw from the power of heavenly realms for your own purposes. After satisfying the demands of the whatever beings you negotiate with, of course. There might be an angel themed power here and there but nothing that calls upon the gods themselves.

Mechanic wise, I would expect a lot attacks that, while basically striker types, also have a slightly protective bent. It's at will might be a thunder attack that deals extra damage if the target makes a long range attack, encouraging it to perhaps go toe to toe with the fighter instead of at sniping you or the squishy in back.

Not sure what to go with as a pact boon though, a stackable AC bonus interrupt perhaps?

Raven Swords

First Post

Or it could be a hybrid, sourcing it's powers from both Divine and Arcane?

How important is to hold to the power sources? Are they hard and fast rules or guides to class design and use?

GoodKingJayIII

First Post

Your statement assumes that a divine beings cannot grant arcane power. This may certainly be the case in some campaigns, but I think the existence dispels that notion in the core campaign. I don't see any reason say, an Angel couldn't distribute that kind of power.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads