• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock question

Laman Stahros

First Post
Imbue Item (Su): A warlock of 12th level or higher can use his supernatural power to create magic items, even if he does not know the spells required to make an item (although he must know the appropriate item creation feat). He can substitute a Use Magic Device check (DC 15 + spell level for arcane spells or 25 + spell level for divine spells) in place of a required spell he doesn’t know or can’t cast.

If the check succeeds, the warlock can create the item as if he had cast the required spell. If it fails, he cannot complete the item. He does not expend the XP or gp costs for making the item; his progress is simply arrested. He cannot retry this Use Magic Device check for that spell until he gains a new level.
What do they mean by this? For how long is the character's progress arrested?

Last edited:

Azaar

Explorer
Until the next level, I would assume, given the following sentence. Then, you can attempt another Use Magic Device check to create the item.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I assume it's the process of making the magic item. So, if you spent 10 days (so far) making your 20kgp item, you've got 10 more days to go when you level up.

Assuming you make all your checks when you level up! :)

-- N

Nail

First Post
That's a pretty flexible class power. I hadn't really looked it over until now. He could make wands of Cure Light Wounds...but could he use them, without UMD?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Nail said:
That's a pretty flexible class power. I hadn't really looked it over until now. He could make wands of Cure Light Wounds...but could he use them, without UMD?
No, but he has UMD as a class skill, Cha is his most important stat, and long before he can make items he gets the ability to take 10 on UMD checks even under pressure.

Nail

First Post
What's the DC of that check -> activate a CLW wand? (I'm on vacation and away from my all-knowing, pdf-stuffed computer.)

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Nail said:
What's the DC of that check -> activate a CLW wand? (I'm on vacation and away from my all-knowing, pdf-stuffed computer.)
You could use the SRD, mate. ;)

*gets PHB*

Use Wand = DC 20

Hm. Warlock gets the ability to create items at 12th level... Assuming 15 Cha base + 3 from levels, and a maxed-out UMD skill, his UMD score is +19. So it's automatically successful.
[edit] Of course, not every Warlock will have a maxed-out UMD skill, given that they only get 2 skill points per level. Many (if not most) will, though. In any case, if he has at least 6 ranks in UMD, taking 10 will do the job (+4Cha+6ranks +10 = 20).

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Darkness said:
Of course, not every Warlock will have a maxed-out UMD skill, given that they only get 2 skill points per level. Many (if not most) will, though.
I wondered about this.

He'll need concentration, but not spellcraft. (Right?) Know(arcana), probably. UMD....maybe, depending on the player. (Most players I've met don't understand the skill's utility, so never take ranks in it.) What else would a Warlock take? Bluff?

Int is a serious 'dump stat" for Warlocks, so I wouldn't expect many skill points.

Remove ads