• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock, Shadow Walk and Stealth

Silverwave

First Post
I feel like this combo is a bit overpowered (but I may be wrong, that's why I'm asking).

The warlock in my group is using that all rounds. He attacks, move at least 3 squares, gain concealment so he can make a stealth check (which he made at +9 at 1st lvl).

Basically, unless he make a bad check (or against a very perceptive creature), he cannot be targeted. Even so, if he fails, ennemies still get -2 to attacks from the concealment.

Am I missing something?

Tale

First Post
You're missing that even if he loses against 1 enemy's perception, that enemy can point him out to others.

Is this annoying you? Because, you can always get the biggest guy in your group to "ask" him to stop making so many unnecessary rolls every single turn.

Silverwave

First Post
You're missing that even if he loses against 1 enemy's perception, that enemy can point him out to others.

Is this annoying you? Because, you can always get the biggest guy in your group to "ask" him to stop making so many unnecessary rolls every single turn.

lol, then that fortunatly would be me :p

But, what about "pointing him out". Never read a rule that state pointing someone out gives any bonuses to perception check.

Tale

First Post
If enemies are capable of communicating with each other, they can point out the locations of any enemies they know.

Klaumbaz

First Post
don't forget his -5 to check penalties for moving more than 2 (since it takes 3 to trigger his concealment). that's a big one most are overlooking when complaining about stealthing warlocks.

ac_noj

First Post
The warlock in my group is using that all rounds. He attacks, move at least 3 squares, gain concealment so he can make a stealth check (which he made at +9 at 1st lvl).

Moving more than 2 squares gives a -5 to stealth checks, I suggest you read the skill in the PHB.
Also, unless he was stealthed during the move monsters will know which square he is in and can attack it without penalty using burst, blast, and area attacks.
Finally, Steath is an opposed roll so you can give every monster a seperate check to spot him if you want. A single monster that spots him can alert the others as to what square he's in.

Tale

First Post
Moving more than 2 squares gives a -5 to stealth checks, I suggest you read the skill in the PHB.
Also, unless he was stealthed during the move monsters will know which square he is in and can attack it without penalty using burst, blast, and area attacks.

Succeeding at a stealth check implies that whatever you did to hide, you did it in such a way that they lost track of where you were and no longer know where you are. If you know the specific square a creature is in, he is not hidden. To know would violate the meaning of him being hidden.

You also can target any square, whether you know a creature is there or not, with any attack you can make. Not just burst, blast, or area.

the_redbeard

Explorer
If the warlock is at +9 to stealth (at first level?) he has put resources into this option.
He's invested a feat - stealth is not on the warlock skill list.
He's put points into Dex - dex is otherwise a dump stat for warlocks.
He's likely chosen a race that gives bonuses to stealth.

That's a lot of character resources you'd be stepping on if you denied the player this tactic.

As pointed out, the character needs to move every round to achieve this.
Any other ranged striker (as this character could as well) could simply use cover (a pillar, a corner, a region of dim light versus normal vision creatures) could use this tactic. Rangers and Rogues both have stealth on their skill lists. The warlock doesn't but can gain concealment with shadow walk.

I think (and I infer support from posts made by Mearls) that it was intended for strikers to use movement, positioning, etc., for stealth to gain combat advantage.

Also: it isn't that many rolls. Per your scenario, once per round, the player makes a stealth check. On the stat block of every creature is their perception score - right at the top.
If the creatures are intelligent or communicate, it is a free action to exchange information. So just know the top perception score at each encounter. That's the target number that the character has to beat.
Yes, it would be fair to tell the player which attacker is pointing out their position to the other attackers, and if the players disable the top perceiver, you should pick the next best.
But it should only be one more roll per turn. As I showed above, I think the player expended a good deal of resources to get this. If you disallow it, you should at least let them change. (But you'd be going against the rules as written and as intended, at least acknowledge it as a house rule.)

Also: the monsters aren't helpless.
They can get active perception rolls with a minor action.
They can ready an attack (even a charge) against the warlock when the character attacks.
They could use a power (like light, the cleric lantern spell, etc.) against the warlock.

FadedC

First Post
Succeeding at a stealth check implies that whatever you did to hide, you did it in such a way that they lost track of where you were and no longer know where you are. If you know the specific square a creature is in, he is not hidden. To know would violate the meaning of him being hidden.

Well the thing with the warlock is that you can only hide when you have concealment and in some cases the warlock will only have concealment at the end of his move. This makes it pretty obvious what space he's in :). It's kind of like when the rogue hides behind the only tree in a wide open field.

Bunnicula

First Post
If the warlock is at +9 to stealth (at first level?) he has put resources into this option.
He's invested a feat - stealth is not on the warlock skill list.
He's put points into Dex - dex is otherwise a dump stat for warlocks.
He's likely chosen a race that gives bonuses to stealth.

That's a lot of character resources you'd be stepping on if you denied the player this tactic.

What he said. That's a LOT of resources and some significant sacrifice to get such a huge bonus. To compensate, I suggest you (or the GM if it's not you) beef up the monsters' perception scores. The warlock won't roll high all the time, so if your monsters are trained in perception they ought to be able to see him at least some of the time.

What would you have done in 3.5 if a player cast Invisibility on himself?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads