Warlock + Shadow Walk + Stealth...

Klaumbaz

First Post
did you move more than 2 anytime during your turn? then you have a -5 to your stealth unless you have an ability that says otherwise.

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
You could do your stealth action as your standard, but I believe the penalty would reasonably apply until the end of the turn in which you moved more than 2 squares.

That is my interpretation. Currently I can't find RAW on that.

I believe you are correct. My earlier assumption, after reading up on the matter, was wrong.

Stealth itself isn't really an action. It's part of whatever action you want to do stealthily. If you're doing a move action and want to be sneaky, your stealth roll is done in conjunction with the move. Rolling stealth isn't an action in and of itself, it has to be paired with some sort of minor, move, or standard action.

So, a warlock who takes a move action to move at least 3 squares and activates shadow walk, and who also wants to make a stealth check with that move action can do so. (Though they will have a -5 penalty to the stealth check since they moved more than 2 squares.)

laesin

First Post
The first time I create a new character of level 8 plus, he is going to be a warlock/rogue multiclass with Acolyte power (Fleeting Ghost). He should be able to almost constantly be stealthed, thus near constant CA. Any flaws beyond the DM's right to disallow the stealth check?

Mengu

First Post
There are some situations I still am not sure how to handle with this ninja business.

A Kobold with dismally low perception fails to see where the Warlock is hidden. So he does what he does, moving around to get a flanking position. His movement takes him right through the square the Warlock is standing. What happens here? Is this possible? Are there any opportunity attacks? Does the Kobol blindly blunder into the Warlock?

And what happens if the Kobold ends his movement in the same square? He's not aware the Warlock is there, he doesn't know any better.

And what happens if the Kobold is an invisible ninja also?

Klaumbaz

First Post
Kobold would bump into the hidden character, and could make a "wild as swing into it" (-5 vs AC seems appropriate here).

If he was an invisible ninja, the attack would reveal him as well.

Tellerve

Does teleporting count towards the movement that Warlocks need 3 squares of to get concealment? I mean, I understand they are farther away via the shadow walk, so they have "moved" essentially. But it was instant, and I dunno, doesn't seem like it should count. But that's my gut, my opinion and so I'm asking if I am off via the RAW.

thanks,

Tellerve

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
Does teleporting count towards the movement that Warlocks need 3 squares of to get concealment? I mean, I understand they are farther away via the shadow walk, so they have "moved" essentially. But it was instant, and I dunno, doesn't seem like it should count. But that's my gut, my opinion and so I'm asking if I am off via the RAW.

I'm thinking that if they teleported via a move action, then it counts as "moving" at least three squares. If it's an instantaneous teleport, like the Misty Step class feature (free action), I'd say no; but if it's a power like Ethereal Stride (move action), I'd say yes.

Tellerve

Hmm, a'ight that makes sense, still rubs me a bit of the wrong way, but seems better. And so for now I'll go with it :)

Tellerve

jeffhartsell

First Post
My take on shadow walk, since I have a player that is going to play a feylock is that you can alway attempt stealth after moving 3+. Anyone attempting to target him or the square has to make a perception check to see through the shadows. A successful perception means -2 attack due to concealment, a failed check means -5 attack due to total concealment.

I view shadow walk as mobile concealment, but it is obvious where the character is located if they are in plain sight. But the shadows make it hard to target the shadow walker. Stealth makes it even harder to see where the sneak is within the shadow.

Combining shadow walk with real shadows and/or cover would make it work more like invisibility since the exact location would not be known.

My take on how I am going to run it.

Remove ads