• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E warlock spells, how many

albatrossen

First Post
Hello. I play a warlock 5th level and I am considering going all the way in the warlockclass. But I really cant figure out how many spells the warlock knows at higher level: Are the mystic arcanum spells gained from level 11 included in the "Spells known" list?Does a warlock have 11 known spells + a mystic arcanum spell at level 11 or is it "just" 11 known spells including the mystic arcanum spell?

At 5th level your warlock should know 9 spells: 3 cantrips and 6 regular. (Your patron doesn't add extra spells, but adds spells to your warlock list.)

Mystical arcanum doesn't overtly specify if it counts against your spells known, but it's strongly implied that it is separate. After all, you cannot cast spells above level 5 using spell slots, so your mystical arcanum is the only way you can use that spell.
So at 11th level, your warlock should "known" 15 spells: 4 cantrips and 11 spells from level 1-5. And one 6th level spell tracked separately.

albatrossen

First Post
Hi Jester, thanx, thats how I would like it to be but I dont think it is that obvious from the PHB. but I still think that as long as the pact magic is named on one page and mystic arcanum is something named later I would consider it two different things!

Hi Jester, thanx, thats how I would like it to be but I dont think it is that obvious from the PHB. but I still think that as long as the pact magic is named on one page and mystic arcanum is something named later I would consider it two different things!

Upon a closer inspection, the "Spells known of 1st level and higher" section does specify that spells you know "must be of a level no higher than what's shown in the table's Slot Level column". The "Slot Level column" caps out at 5th level, while Mystic Arcanum starts at 6th level. So the two features do not overlap.

I read it as at 20 level he has 4 cantrips, 15 spells known of slot level 5 and 4 spellslots + mystic arcanum ???
Looks about right.
The warlock knows 15 spells (of any spell level up to 5th) and can cast 4 of them as 5th level spells between short rests. Along with an additional four mystic arcanum spells usable each long rest.

Remove ads