• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Warlock: The Raven Queen Patron

Any thoughts on this? Am I the only one who wishes that this becomes AL legal soon?

I'm thinking my warlock's familiar (Pact of chain) is primarily used by my party for scouting. Thru the Raven Queen patron that provides the Sentinel Raven and Soul of Raven will still let me have a scout or I turn to be a raven and scout for my party. Which frees me up to choose another like Pact of Book (or Blade).

Advantage on death saves, immunity to being frightened, necrotic damage resistance and having a zombie on my command wouldn't hurt as well (Finger of Death).

Question on becoming a Raven:

"While perched on your shoulder, the raven can’t be targeted by any attack or other harmful effect;only you can cast spells on it; it can’t take damage; and it is incapacitated. You can see through the raven’s eyes and hear what it hears while it is within 100 feet of you."
--- Sentinel Raven

"During this time, you gain the benefits of your raven being perched on your shoulder."
--- Soul of Raven

Does merging with the raven (to become a raven) will also mean that as a raven my warlock cannot be targeted by any attack? Given that the only actions in raven form will be to Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Help, Hide or Search.

Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
Any thoughts on this? Am I the only one who wishes that this becomes AL legal soon?

I'm thinking my warlock's familiar (Pact of chain) is primarily used by my party for scouting. Thru the Raven Queen patron that provides the Sentinel Raven and Soul of Raven will still let me have a scout or I turn to be a raven and scout for my party. Which frees me up to choose another like Pact of Book (or Blade).

Advantage on death saves, immunity to being frightened, necrotic damage resistance and having a zombie on my command wouldn't hurt as well (Finger of Death).

"While perched on your shoulder, the raven can’t be targeted by any attack or other harmful effect;only you can cast spells on it; it can’t take damage; and it is incapacitated. You can see through the raven’s eyes and hear what it hears while it is within 100 feet of you."
--- Sentinel Raven

"During this time, you gain the benefits of your raven being perched on your shoulder."
--- Soul of Raven

Does merging with the raven (to become a raven) will also mean that as a raven my warlock cannot be targeted by any attack? Given that the only actions in raven form will be to Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Help, Hide or Search.
Yes, and cannot take damage.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

--- Sentinel Raven

--- Soul of Raven

The Raven can take damage while merged. It says that YOU gain the benefits of it being perched on your shoulder(darkvision etc.) not that the Raven gains the benefits of being on your shoulder. Even if this was true you are missing part of it. It would be incapacitated as well as invulnerable so you merge then fall to the ground flat.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I don't know the specific UA, but the Raven Queen isn't in the Forgotten Realms, so I'm not sure how it could be AL legal unless they change the name. AL would have to write some kind of substitute.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

The Raven can take damage while merged. It says that YOU gain the benefits of it being perched on your shoulder(darkvision etc.) not that the Raven gains the benefits of being on your shoulder. Even if this was true you are missing part of it. It would be incapacitated as well as invulnerable so you merge then fall to the ground flat.

You mean, when they merge the sentinel raven becomes incapacitated, while the Warlock becomes another Raven?

I take it that when the Raven and the Warlock merges, they combine and fuse into a single raven. So with that assumption I want to clarify if transformed as a Raven, you also gain the benefit that you cannot be attacked.

At 6th level, you gain the ability to merge with your raven spirit. As a bonus action when your raven is perched on your shoulder, your body merges with your raven’s form. While merged, you become Tiny, you replace your speed with the raven’s, and you can use your action only to Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Help, Hide, or Search. During this time, you gain the benefits of your raven being perched on your shoulder. As an action, you and the raven return to normal.
--- Soul of the Raven

I was under the impression that this archetype was being cut from the list of stuff that from UA will end up in XGtE, and thus would have no chance of becoming AL legal...

When was this announced? Oh I hope not... :(

I don't know the specific UA, but the Raven Queen isn't in the Forgotten Realms, so I'm not sure how it could be AL legal unless they change the name. AL would have to write some kind of substitute.

As far as I know the Raven Queen also appeared in D&D 4th Ed. The UA has a disclaimer:

They aren’t officially part of the game and aren’t permitted in D&D Adventurers League events. If they become official, they will appear in a book.

I really hope this Patron becomes official.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
When was this announced? Oh I hope not... :(

As far as I know the Raven Queen also appeared in D&D 4th Ed. The UA has a disclaimer:

They aren’t officially part of the game and aren’t permitted in D&D Adventurers League events. If they become official, they will appear in a book.

I really hope this Patron becomes official.
The Raven Queen is from 4e D&D, yes, but that was the default Nerath PoL setting, NOT Forgotten Realms, which is where AL takes place. She is not a deity in FR.

The disclaimer about officialness is officiallness for D&D, NOT for AL. WOTC has very little to do with AL. It is the AL Admins that decide what is officially allowed in AL. We had to wait nearly a month after SCAG came out to be able to use it. Aarokokra still aren't legal, even though they are official.

So I wouldn't expect this patron to be approved without at least a name change to something Realmsian.

Remove ads