• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Warlock: The Raven Queen Patron

Li Shenron

Legend
What's the source on that? I hadn't heard about it getting cut

When was this announced? Oh I hope not... :(

As far as I know the Raven Queen also appeared in D&D 4th Ed. The UA has a disclaimer:

They aren’t officially part of the game and aren’t permitted in D&D Adventurers League events. If they become official, they will appear in a book.

I really hope this Patron becomes official.

No nothing official, it was just my impression because of what they said about the number of archetypes to be included in the Xanathar's Guide to Everything (2-3 per class), and the removal of Raven Queen's invocations in the recent UA article that included warlock invocations (June 2017 IIRC). Together with the fact that the same article had a revision for the Undying Light/Celestial warlock archetype, and still has invocations that were made for the Hexblade, I just think that the Raven Queen archetype may not be in the book.

You mean, when they merge the sentinel raven becomes incapacitated, while the Warlock becomes another Raven?

I take it that when the Raven and the Warlock merges, they combine and fuse into a single raven. So with that assumption I want to clarify if transformed as a Raven, you also gain the benefit that you cannot be attacked.

At 6th level, you gain the ability to merge with your raven spirit. As a bonus action when your raven is perched on your shoulder, your body merges with your raven’s form. While merged, you become Tiny, you replace your speed with the raven’s, and you can use your action only to Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Help, Hide, or Search. During this time, you gain the benefits of your raven being perched on your shoulder. As an action, you and the raven return to normal.
--- Soul of the Raven

No I mean that when the raven is on your shoulder it is incapacitated and invulnerable. When you merge however OP is saying you are invulnerable. I'm saying that if that was true you would also be incapacitated.

Elon Tusk

Explorer
No I mean that when the raven is on your shoulder it is incapacitated and invulnerable. When you merge however OP is saying you are invulnerable. I'm saying that if that was true you would also be incapacitated.

The exact wording is: "During this time, you gain the benefits of your raven being perched on your shoulder."

I would argue being invulnerable is a benefit while being incapacitated is not.

The exact wording is: "During this time, you gain the benefits of your raven being perched on your shoulder."

I would argue being invulnerable is a benefit while being incapacitated is not.

YOU gain the benefit not the Raven. It doesn't say the Raven gains the benefit. THIS DOES NOT WORK

Caliban

Rules Monkey
@KahlessNestor @Li Shenron - yeah seems like it, sucks if it will not be AL legal.

YOU gain the benefit of...? Being invulnerable as well when merged, because that's also a benefit when perched on the shoulder right?

P.S. Anyway CAPSLOCKING does not help in discussions...

You gain the benefits you would gain from the raven being perched on your shoulder. Invulnerability is not one of the benefits you gain from the raven being perched on your shoulder - that's something the raven gets, not you.

Despite being merged with the raven, you still only get the benefits you would get, not the benefits the raven would get.

thethain

First Post
I kinda agree its probably not going to make it in XgtE. Mainly because it has a lot of really quirky behavior (such as the invulnerable raven), and the fact it is a very specific patron, as opposed to all other Warlock patrons, which are very general powerful forces which could be a number of different actual patrons. (fiends, fey, celestial, old one)

plisnithus8

Adventurer
You gain the benefits you would gain from the raven being perched on your shoulder. Invulnerability is not one of the benefits you gain from the raven being perched on your shoulder - that's something the raven gets, not you.

Despite being merged with the raven, you still only get the benefits you would get, not the benefits the raven would get.

I think I was reading a comma into it:
"raven being perched on your shoulder" over "raven, being perched on your shoulder."

Remove ads