• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlord buffs

dreadon

First Post
Ok here is the run down. Last week our Warlord used his level 1 daily power, can’t remember the name right off the top of my head, that lets him do "3X damage and gives every one with in 5 squares a bonus to hit equal to his Int mod for the encounter, on a miss half and only +1 bonus to hit."

The problem was that none of the party was within the 5 squares at the time of the attack. He said that the power should be an aura effect that as long as people are near him they would gain the bonus. I felt that if you were not there at the time the effect was wasted. At the time I just hand waved the issue because it was the boss fight and they needed the to-hit bonus badly. But I feel I should get a second opinion before the next game and make a house ruling on the ability.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
We had this issue come up when I used that exact same power in our 4E game. I talked it over with the GM and believe the spirit of the power is that at the time of the attack you have to be within 5 squares of the Warlord to gain it's effect.

But, like a lot of the rules, it's kind of unclear, and could be argued the other way.

dreadon

First Post
Yah i feel that the power should act like a Mass Bulls strength. If your in it at the time of the casting your buffed if not your out of luck even though the effect lasts after you get near the buffer.

Although it could be argued that it is more of a bard song type of buff... AAAARRRGGG!!! i just cant win my own arguments.

I believe there was a designer post which said it was an aura, that it worked like magic circle against evil in 3.x, not like mass bulls strength.

I can't be bothered finding it though, sorry.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
The effect states: "Until the end of the encounter, you and each ally within 5 squares of you..."
I'd go with the aura interpretation.
1) It's easiest... at any given time it's a yes/no: "are you within 5 of the warlord?"
2) It fits the fluff. The allies have to remain near to the warlord to continue to benefit from his guidance. If it only affected those within 5 when the power was used and then they could run off and retain the bonus (or worse, the warlord could retreat) then the warlord wouldn't really be 'Leading The Attack,' would he?

Oompa

First Post
You can play it as both way's, i would rule that it isnt an aura..

Sucks if you hit the attack on an minion :p no one gets advantage :p

Stalker0

Legend
The effect states: "Until the end of the encounter, you and each ally within 5 squares of you..."
I'd go with the aura interpretation.
1) It's easiest... at any given time it's a yes/no: "are you within 5 of the warlord?"
2) It fits the fluff. The allies have to remain near to the warlord to continue to benefit from his guidance. If it only affected those within 5 when the power was used and then they could run off and retain the bonus (or worse, the warlord could retreat) then the warlord wouldn't really be 'Leading The Attack,' would he?

It might fit the fluff, but its certainly not the easist way to run it.

Its far easier to go, "You, you, and you....write down this bonus, you have it until the rest of the fight" vs "Alright guys this round, um...you, you, and...oh you moved out of range you don't get the bonus this round."

rhm001

First Post
I would read it as the aura. As written, it specifies 1) an effect, 2) its duration and then 3) the requirement to be subject to that effect, in that order. The effect reads as the subject of the duration, not the targets.

If they had wanted it to be a one time bump, they could've written the relevant sentence as: "Allies within 5 squares gain the bonus until the end of the encounter," or targets, then duration.

Of course, as always, it could also be poor editing.

Phesic

First Post
It is most definitely an Aura.

"Until the end of the encounter, you and each ally within 5 squares of you gain a power bonus to attack rolls against the target equal to 1 + your Intelligence modifier."

If it were meant to be instant, it would have a Close burst 5 descriptor somewhere in the text. Like beacon of hope or divine power. The burst descriptor would make it an instant, but since it's not there, It's an aura.

Mengu

First Post
I initially read it as a pulse, but I agree that it needs to be written clearer.

For instance when reading Bastion of Defense, it seemed clear to me that they meant for the people that get the temp hp's to get the +1 AC. That's probably why I read Lead the Attack as a pulse also. But the intention could be that the +1 AC from Bastion of Defense and +X attack bonus from Lead the Attack are both auras.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads