• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlord Inspiring Word out-of-combat usage

vic20

Fool
One of the players in my group introduced a situation that I wasn't sure about. After a battle as the party was using surges to heal, and the player wanted to use his Warlord "Inspiring Word" ability to assist the other players. The power is to be used up to twice "per encounter".

How should this (and perhaps other similar powers) be handled outside of combat? What is to stop the players from always taking advantage of this instead of their normal healing surge usage?

Thanks for any insight,
Vic20

Rugger

Explorer
I believe that if you have time, why NOT use it?

Essentially, you can use it twice every 5 minutes... so if you have a bit more time to rest, then go for it.

-Matt

When combat encounter powers are used out of combat, the definition of an encounter is 'about 5 minutes.'

I've been letting my players use this out of combat when they reasonably have time to rest for over 5 minutes, and it hasn't been a big issue - I've actually been a bit happy with it, as it gives them a bit more staying party and I run campaigns for smaller than normal groups.

They like getting the 1d6 booster, and are especially thrilled when it tops up their HP completely instead of leaving them with the choice of 'wasting' part of a surge to heal that last 5 damage.

James McMurray

First Post
This is not just possible, it's pointed out as an option in either the DMG or PHB (sorry, can't remember which). If the party has acleric or warlord (or anyone with an encounter power that heals) then they can use it after every 5 minute short rest, slightly speeding recovery. Assuming they have the time of course. And it only takes one fight interruption, where you suddenly have to face an enemy with no heals available, before they'll think twice about foing it all the time.

Khime

Explorer
This is not just possible, it's pointed out as an option in either the DMG or PHB (sorry, can't remember which)
It's on PHB, p263: Using Powers while You Rest: If you use an encounter power (such as a healing power) during a short rest, you need another short rest to renew it so that you can use it again.

So they explicitely expect that you'll use healing encounter powers (like healing word) during a short rest, and remind you that you'll need another short rest to get them back again. And since there's no limit to the short rests, nor any stipulation of time between them, you can take two or more back-to-back.

Assuming there's no wandering monsters or the like. :devil:

vic20

Fool
Thanks all for the response. So the only real constraint is time.

Narratively, this works in that I can picture the warlord spending time with each character in the down-time bolstering them, giving them feedback, inspiring them, etc. That's leadership!

Remove ads