• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlord's Favor - 2 rounds worth?

kristov

Explorer
Can:

1) ally ready an action (to attack after the warlord makes his attack)
2) warlord hits with warlords favor
3) ally now swings (with the bonus) and initiative is set at 1 faster than the warlord now
4) allies turn comes up again (with the bonus)
5) warlord finally goes again and now the bonus goes away

In my case, I made a Tact Warlord (18 int = +5 bonus in warlords favor) and with this sequence you can make it last 2 rounds worth.

I just wanna make sure that this is an officially approved sequence because it seems pretty overpowered.

Khime

Explorer
I'm not sure this works as written, since the text for Ready An Action mentions the action being triggered by 'your enemy'. Can you ready an action in response to a friendly trigger?

If it does work that way, then it looks like it would work as you've written it. Executing a readied action puts you back into initiative order before the creature that triggered it.

If it doesn't work that way, then to pull this off you need to Delay, and that would indeed put you back into initiative order after the Warlord.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Wouldn't the ally's initiative be set one lower than the warlord because he waited until after the warlord went?

Yep. However, you CAN make the most of it in the following ways:

The ally uses an action point-- then he gets the bonus from the power AND the bonus from a tactical warlord ally and using an Action Point. +9 to hit for one attack ain't bad! This is a good time to use your daily!

The Warlord uses Commander's Strike on the ally. That ally gets the bonus because it says that the bonus lasts "till the end of your next turn" since the C.S. is happening before the end of your next turn, the bonus is added.

I have done this before at a Tactical Warlord, 18 INT, and it works great.

Oompa

First Post
Wouldn't the ally's initiative be set one lower than the warlord because he waited until after the warlord went?

Nope, above the warlord..

I'm not sure this works as written, since the text for Ready An Action mentions the action being triggered by 'your enemy'. Can you ready an action in response to a friendly trigger?

If it does work that way, then it looks like it would work as you've written it. Executing a readied action puts you back into initiative order before the creature that triggered it.

If it doesn't work that way, then to pull this off you need to Delay, and that would indeed put you back into initiative order after the Warlord.

Phb states creature...

kristov

Explorer
Another guy - another forum where I asked this question (trying to get as much input as possible)

Also said that I could:

1) use my action point and commander strike the other guy (giving him another attack at my bonus)
2) that guy could then use an action point for himself when his next turn came around (happens before me) and gain my bonus.

You end up with my target (probably a fighter with high STR) getting 4 total attacks with my +5 warlords favor using this - seems pretty freaking amazing but it does cost us 2 action points to perform the sequence.

Oompa

First Post
You ready..
Warlord attacks creature
You attack (with bonus) creature
Creature attacks
You attack (with bonus) creature, use action point and attack again (with bonus)
Warlord attacks creature, uses action point, uses commanders strike on you..
You attack again (with Bonus)
Creature attacks..

Looks good to me :)

Rechan

Adventurer
The ally uses an action point-- then he gets the bonus from the power AND the bonus from a tactical warlord ally and using an Action Point. +9 to hit for one attack ain't bad! This is a good time to use your daily!
How is he getting +9?

Warlord Int 18. He gives the ally +2 with his Tactical Warlord ability (From an AP use). +5 from the Warlord's Favor. That's only a +7; where's the other +2 coming from?

If you're going to do this, I advise picking up the Tactical Assault feat. +7 to attack and +4 to Damage is nice and pretty.

Following up with a Commander's Strike for another +4 damage is just gravy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads