• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlords Heal?

Stalker0

Legend
Frankly, if you can swallow the fact that it takes 100 cure light wounds to heal a 20th level character but only 1 to heal a commoner then this one isn't that out there.

drothgery

First Post
mhensley said:
Then I give you the iconic Warlord for 4e-

belichick_bill5.jpg

Lawful Evil Tiefling Warlord

maybe he has been trained in modifying energy flow in the body and with a few well placed pression can cure you wounds, and mend bones, restore flow and the like :)
- ok it sounds a little like Toki the good brother of Kenshiro -

(a mix of pressure points, acupunture and the like)

for me it would work, it would require contact and even permit transfering hp from one to another

instead a divine healing can be a surge of energy at a distance

arcane healing: something nauseating (think the conan resurrection in the movie) with otherwordly energy that put you back to health :)

nature healing: regeneration

necromantic healing: *bwahahahahahaha*

The idea of a warlord inspiring people to get back on their feet and back into the fight is awesome.

"Ignore the pain! Work through the wall! Only three more swings of the sword! One! Two! Three! You did it! Now three more! Feel the burn!"

So personal trainers are warlords.

"Give me a H!
Give me an E!
Give me an A!
Give me a L!
Give me an I!
Give me a N!
Give me a G!

What's that spell?

HEALING!"

So cheerleaders are warlords as well. This is 13.876 different kinds of magnificent.

(Although I'm not sure what scares me more: the thought of cheerleaders walking around with greatswords, or a hairy, mighty-thewed barbarian in Kim Possible's cheer uniform.) :D

Stone Dog

Adventurer
If a loss of hit points still represents getting closer to the point where you hit the ground unable to move and thinking you are going to die, then anybody in the military can tell you that yes... getting shouted at can bring you back up and running again.

med stud

First Post
St Augustinus said: "Time is obvious if you don't think about it, but the more you think about it the more incomprehensible it becomes."

IMO the same can be said about hitpoints. A high level character can literally take more beating than an elephant (as stated upthreads) and I don't think anyone has tried to explain it by saying that a high level character becomes harder and more durable. Still, the main way to bring HPs back is by magical healing.

So if hitpoints don't consist of purely physical injury it's not a far fetch to say that they also represent morale and fighting spirit, something a dedicated leader would be perfect for restoring.

---

PS: I'm very happy that they replaced the bard with the warlord. I have always thought that a bard as a concept could be replaced by any character with an artistic drive (Performance skill in 3.x) whatever they are fighters, wizards or druids.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Umbran said:
Have you ever watched The Princess Bride? There's a scene in it where Inigo Montoya has been stabbed repeatedly by the Six-Fingered Man. He's in pain, bleeding, on the way to death. Then, her remembers his mission, and begins to repeat, "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." He rises up, an returns to the duel.

With each repetition, Inigo gains strength and speed. He's just as physically wounded, but he's up and fighting again.

In this case, Inigo inspired himself, but the same idea operates about as well if someone else reminds you of why you are there, what you're doing, and what it is you've got that's worth living for...
The novel version explains what he's doing (he's thrust his hand inside his own gut and is applying pressure to his internal bleeding directly -- eew!), but yeah, that works as an example of non-magical temporary healing.

Pazu

First Post
Loincloth of Armour said:
So cheerleaders are warlords as well. This is 13.876 different kinds of magnificent.

(Although I'm not sure what scares me more: the thought of cheerleaders walking around with greatswords, or a hairy, mighty-thewed barbarian in Kim Possible's cheer uniform.) :D

Save the cheerleader, save the...party?

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Okay, so if hit point damage is supposed to be abstract things like "Your morale is down and you feel less inspired to fight" or "you luck is running out/your getting tired and soon you will take actual deadly injuries" then Cure spells should not work to help those people== since all they do is knit bone and heal lacerations. Cure spells only help someone down to 10% or less of their hp, since that is when your character is actually taking real injuries according to the abstraction theory-- which means that its good that the warlord is coming along.

Before that, Clerics could only heal the most critically injured people, and all the other hit point damage representing luck, tiredness, etc was unable to be healed except through long periods of rest and reflection. Now someone can actually heal that "what is my motivation?" damage that cure spells and heal skills were powerless against!

lame

I think 7th Sea's Fleshwounds & Wounds system was far better to any "abstract" hp system. You got hit, and you took damage. Either it was incidental damage (fleshwounds) which went away after a scene (like your 2nd wind) or it was a serious injury (a wound) requiring surgery. Get enough wounds and you're dead.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
med stud said:
St Augustinus said: "Time is obvious if you don't think about it, but the more you think about it the more incomprehensible it becomes."

I think it was, "I know what time is... until somebody asks me."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads