• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlords of the Accordlands (Initial Impressions)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I haven't seen a lot of WotA discussion (here or elsewhere). There were a few short threads posted immediately after its release, but nothing too informative -- it was largely a blind purchase for me. For the benefit of folks who still have questions about the product line (as I did prior to this afternoon's purchase), I offer this run up to my planned reviews.

First Things

Right off the bat, let's get this out of the way -- WotA, as a product line, doesn't technically form a standalone game. That said, it comes very close (much moreso than many d20 System games). The one notable thing that WotA lacks in this regard is a chapter of combat rules. The good news is that if you've ever played a d20 or OGL game, you already know how this works.

Unexpected Inclusions

Now, that said, I found some things in the WotA Master Codex that I didn't expect to see -- most notably, rules for generating attributes and a simple character level progression scheme (both things that a great many d20 System games refer you to the DMG for). The complete lists of skills, feats, and spell descriptions is just icing on the cake -- not once do you need to reference the PHB for any of this.

Unexpected Exclusions

On a quick skimming of the WotA Master Codex, I also noticed a few things missing that I wholly expected to be there. The most notable thing that I have yet to find a trace of is the oft maligned Attack of Opportunity. So far as I can tell, feats that provoke an AoO in D&D have either been edited to forego such things, or omitted entirely.

Admittedly, I could have missed some references to the AoO, but if they do exist, they're few enough that once can read several pages without stumbling across one. This will likely be deal breaker for some people, but for a great many others, I suspect that this could be a feature, not a bug (I know that this is true in my case, for instance).

Other

WotA proclaims that it tries to include all of the fantasy conventions that we're familiar with, but in new and unique contexts. I haven't read enough yet to determine how far AEG took this design goal, but the fact that elves are undead soul-suckers leads me to believe that they likely took it all the way. If this proves to be true, I'll be very, very, happy as WotA will end my quest for "something different enough to titillate, yet familiar enough to lure players to the table".

The Total Package

I want to quickly note the marketing of the product line, as well -- while buying all four books at full retail value isn't cheap, it is a good deal. You get a lot of material here, including a true 1-20 [level] adventure path (i.e., the Campaign Book) that actually makes the Shattered City hardcover look a bit stunted by comparsion. On top of that, you get the near standalone Master Codex, a gorgeous Atlas entirely devoid of mechanics, and a setting specific bestiary.

Summation

Although my initial impressions may not hold up after further scrutiny of the WotA books, right now I'm thinking two things...

A. AEG could not have left the d20 arena on a better note.
B. WotA sets the bar for full-blown world settings.

When I said that WotA is very close to being a standalone game, I meant it. As for the lack of combat system, I see enough room for players to import any such system of their choice (from other d20 or OGL products) without the need for much (if any) mechanical conversion. I plan on using the C&C combat system, in case you're wondering.

The Lost Muse

First Post
If one desired to use a d20 Combat System that lacks Attacks of Opportunity, I believe that d20 Call of Cthulhu has such a system in it. (My book is elsewhere at the moment.)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Timmundo said:
If one desired to use a d20 Combat System that lacks Attacks of Opportunity, I believe that d20 Call of Cthulhu has such a system in it. (My book is elsewhere at the moment.)

The basic Core Elements mechanic also works, sans the weapon skills. As, I think, will True20 (with slightly more modification). Eliminating the AoO really opens up a world of different options for players who like to tweak combat. I'm all for it :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Concerning the Monsters & Lairs book...

As a source of plot hooks and possible adventure, it's great -- every creature in the book has, not only plot hooks presented for it, but in many cases, an entire full-color map of its lair or typical encounter area included. Basically, what you have isn't your typical monster manual, but a collection of short, creature-based, one-shot adventures. It's the Monsternomicon taken to the next level. That said...

The book is missing a few things that you'll either need to look up in the D&D 3.5 MM or the Unofficial Supplementary Bestiary (see the link in my .sig). Most notably, creature feat descriptions, special ability descriptions, and creature progression rules have been omitted to make room for all of the adventure hooks and maps. If you already know this stuff inside and out, it's no big deal...

If you're a hobby newcomer who just dropped $160 on the core WotA books, you might find having to drop another $30 on the D&D MM a bit taxing (incidentally, that's why I compiled the Unofficial Supplementary Bestiary -- it allows you to make the most of the Monsters & Lairs book without having to shell out another $30).

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Okay, one of my first impressions proved to be false so far... there are Attacks of Oportunity in WotA, but lacking a combat system, the only place they're mentioned (that I've so far seen) is in the description of "improved" feats. This being the case, they're incredibly easy to ignore if you choose to do so (which I have) -- but, again, they are there.

My forthcoming unofficial Supplementary Codex, which makes heavy use of the d20 SRD combat system, omits all mention of AoOs (as well as 'squares' and measured lines). If you want to slot such table-top detail back into the system, it's fairly easy to do so (in fact, the d20 SRD's standard combat system does all of that for you). I simply grew up roleplaying in an era where maps and minis were the stuff of wargames, not RPGs, so such things cramp, rather than assist, my prefered style of play.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I've been plowing through the books since Gen Con, and am also realyl very impressed.

yes there are some rules gaffes, but honestly I can do most of the rules in my head these days and odd bits (a point off here or there) don;t ruina products for me.

These books are pakced with terrific art, excellent maps, laid out beautifully and show a lot of inventiveness and imagination.

The Accordlands join Dawnforge, Kindoms of Kalamar and The Wilderalnds as a setting I have an itch to run:)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Teflon Billy said:
yes there are some rules gaffes, but honestly I can do most of the rules in my head these days and odd bits (a point off here or there) don;t ruina products for me.

Ditto.

The Accordlands join Dawnforge, Kindoms of Kalamar and The Wilderlands as a setting I have an itch to run:)

Well, I've owned all of the above, but only Accordlands and Kalamar really impressed me from beginning to end ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads