• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlords that multiclass as Wizards can Raise Dead?

Brillig

First Post
I’m building a tactical warlord that’s multiclassing as a wizard. Multiclassing will give the warlord the Arcana skill, which lets him take the feat that allows him to use rituals. I was looking at which rituals he could learn, and I noticed that the only requirement for raise dead is the heal skill (which he has). Does this mean that a warlord can raise dead because of his study of ARCANE magic? It seems to me that there should be a religion skill requirement as well.

For that matter a pure wizard could get the heal skill through a feat. Does that mean that the wizard can use the raise dead ritual?

I’ve poked around the forums and I haven’t found another thread on this. If someone else has brought it up before, please post the link.

Duelpersonality

First Post
Anyone who spends the appropriate feats can use rituals, from fighters to wizards. If you don't think that Raise Dead is appropriate for your character, don't take that ritual. That character's study of Arcane magic is what allows him to understand how rituals in general work; his study of the healing arts is what allows him to use the Raise Dead ritual. If you really think that Raise Dead should be Religion based instead of Heal based, that isn't a very difficult house rule to work in.

dragon_eater

First Post
Yes, that seems to be what the rules say. Heck, the Wizard doesn't even need to be trained in heal because Raise Dead doesn't require a skill roll.

StormCrow42

Explorer
Since there is no skill check, you don't even need the heal skill to cast the raise dead ritual, just healing-type regents. In fact many rituals (those that specify "no check") have no requirements whatsoever to use (beyond the ritual caster feat). This is a design feature and not a bug.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Brillig said:
I’m building a tactical warlord that’s multiclassing as a wizard. Multiclassing will give the warlord the Arcana skill, which lets him take the feat that allows him to use rituals. I was looking at which rituals he could learn, and I noticed that the only requirement for raise dead is the heal skill (which he has). Does this mean that a warlord can raise dead because of his study of ARCANE magic? It seems to me that there should be a religion skill requirement as well.

For that matter a pure wizard could get the heal skill through a feat. Does that mean that the wizard can use the raise dead ritual?

I’ve poked around the forums and I haven’t found another thread on this. If someone else has brought it up before, please post the link.

It doesn't require the Heal skill at all. Even though Raise Dead is a Heal ritual, it doesn't require a skill check. Anyone who has Ritual Caster and the Raise Dead ritual can do it without fail. Yes, this means that Wizards (or anyone else that can cast rituals) can Raise Dead.

JohnSnow

Hero
Yes, that is correct.

Clerics no longer have a monopoly on raising the dead, removing afflictions, curing disease, or various other abilities.

Casting rituals does require you to have skill training in either Arcana or Religion. Of course, you also have to have the "Ritual Caster" feat.

Yes, this means a ranger, fighter, warlord or thief with the right training can cast rituals. IMO, this is a feature, not a bug.

Grantor

First Post
The thinking here, from what I read on design commentary, was that parties should never be required to have a character of a certain class. (e.g. Cleric).

If the adventure requires you to send a message to your patron, the party should be able to do this, regardless of the classes the players selected.

And especially so for Raise Dead.

Even if they do have a check you don't technically need the skill. If you're happy with the lower end of the results. (like the portal rituals, which last one entire turn at the lowest check, so everyone can run through regardless) Rituals have very very little requirement to them. I search forever trying to find something that said you needed to be trained in a skill to use it for a ritual, but I'm pretty sure its not there.

Brillig said:

You also need the Ritual Caster feat.

I am not clear at the moment if you have to be trained in a required skill to use a ritual, but Warlords can get Heal if they want to.

Otherwise, this is all as it is intended. Rituals are available to anyone (at least if he has the feats).
As an advantage, you could run a low-magic campaign by banning the divine and arcana classes and still keep the interesting rituals in the game. This even allows you to keep magical items!

Edit: Where did all those Ninjaes come from? ;)

Last edited:

Belgarath

First Post
The only requirement for learning the cast ritual feat is to be trained in either arcana or religion. I can find nothing that says you actually have to be trained in the nature skill for a nature ritual or whatever. You simply wont be as effective. If i am wrong someone please give me a page number for the ruling

Remove ads