• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warmage...too weak? (Survivability)

Kat'

First Post
If you're Human, you can pick Able learner, or take a level of Human Paragon. Several Racial Paragons have all Knowledges as class skills.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Kat' said:
If you're Human, you can pick Able learner, or take a level of Human Paragon. Several Racial Paragons have all Knowledges as class skills.

Able Learner is no help - it doesn't increase max rank for a cross-class skill, merely decreases cost.

-Hyp.

Andras

Explorer
That thread is 7 months old and it doesn't disagree with my post which complies with RAW. The statement I quoted does not comply with RAW. What is proper for this thread is advice on how to play a Warmage, and telling somone that Orb spells work against an opponent with mettle because they don't allow a save is bad advice.

Elethiomel

First Post
Andras said:
That thread is 7 months old and it doesn't disagree with my post which complies with RAW. The statement I quoted does not comply with RAW. What is proper for this thread is advice on how to play a Warmage, and telling somone that Orb spells work against an opponent with mettle because they don't allow a save is bad advice.
I disagree. I said "that is debatable", by which I meant that "the statement that Mettle works against the damage portion of an Orb is not the whole truth. There is debate on the issue. You should therefore check with your GM whether Mettle works against orbs in your game if you're considering playing a Warmage". I apologise for not spelling that out in its entirety - I thought I was clear enough. Apparently I wasn't.

The reason why I provided a link was to provide a place to discuss whether Mettle works against Orbs, as this is not the proper place for continued discussion on that subject.

Legildur

First Post
Elethiomel said:
I thought I was clear enough.
I thought so too. I happen to, after reading the linked thread, agree with Andras about the effects of Mettle (although I'm not 'comfortable' with the RAW result), but I appreciated the link for reference and agree with you that it is 'debatable'.

Thurbane

First Post
...soooo, anyway, how about more ways to add to a Warmage's spells known?

If you need a particular skill as class skills, there's always this feat from Unearthed Arcana:

http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedAlternativeSkills.html

SKILL KNOWLEDGE [GENERAL]
You gain access to new knowledge and abilities.

Benefit: Choose any two skills from one of your current classes' skill lists. You now know these skills as class skills.

Special: Instead of choosing two class skills, you may choose one cross-class skill (whether you already know it or not) and learn it, treating it as a class skill from that point forward.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Andras said:
Don't forget that most of the 4th level Orbs do allow a Fort, Partial save and Mettle would completely negate the damage if that Fort save is made.

Don't forget that Force Orb makes anything cry.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads